Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Honma clubs worth the tag?

Go down 
+14
Derek
Tituman
samT
gadgetbearFN2R
sandkie
Bangla123
Lee36328
peace2903
beerbutt
pushslice
benedictteo83
jimmychoo
HyBriD
handiman
18 posters
AuthorMessage
handiman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Honma clubs worth the tag? Empty
PostSubject: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi,

Any Honma users out there?
Is the price tag for Honma clubs justified?

Understand that their 3 stars shaft and above are hand-crafted and customable.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 6:09 pm

Yes I do believed they are worth every penny!

I have two golf kaki's ( Buddies ), aged 67 and 50plus.

Before I was totally outdriving them.

But when they bought their Honma Beres set.

Things started changing....haha

I am now behind...
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 6:44 pm

Meaning Honma will do good for senior player? scratch
Back to top Go down
benedictteo83
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
benedictteo83

PostSubject: Re: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 6:52 pm

just heard many good comments on honma
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 7:20 pm

you should use Titleist instead. Billy Haas used only titleist clubs to win Tour Championship! Titleist definitely worth the tag,

so far I only see liang wen chong winning some asian tour tournaments with Honma. Your call. Wink
Back to top Go down
beerbutt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 7:35 pm

I have used 2 honma sets.
The shafts are really damn good, gives a very nice soft feel.

About whether that's worth the price tag is another matter. You can buy a whole set of titleist clubs which are awesome for the price of a set
Of honma irons.
Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 12:25 am

pushslice wrote:
you should use Titleist instead. Billy Haas used only titleist clubs to win Tour Championship! Titleist definitely worth the tag,

so far I only see liang wen chong winning some asian tour tournaments with Honma. Your call. Wink

Dun think fair to compare irons using tour players - they are sponsored and much dependant on the brand's marketing strategy, and of course those irons used by tour players are definitely different from our mass-produced irons.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 7:56 am

Very Happy I was only following the theme of the thread lor

The thread ask whether other people finds honma were worth the tag. I dont know any other measure of a "tag" except for better results or successwith the club

One bro mention the success of his buddies' with honma. So how does that differ from billy haas' success with Titleist? Or bro Lee's success with Miura? My 65 yr old uncle plays A Honma beres set but he sprays it oll over the place. How then?

honma's super premium pricing is also a result of marketing strategy. The price obviously doesnt justify technical superiority.

If honma users here want to be really helpful, they ahould offer the bro a chance to test their clubs. Here's one more indication of Honma's marketing strategy, despite its price tag, yet i dont know any honma retailer offering to custom fit, test on the range, hit on launch monitor inSpore. If you want to pay that kindof price, shouldnt we be able to test before we buy, to see if it will worth the tag?
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 10:37 am

According to the website, each Honma club is made by hand, taking 6 months to make, passing through the hands of 100 people.

Impressive.

I once saw two Honma drivers which a guy bought 2nd hand at RM3k each. Iirc, he said when brand new, it costs several times more, RM15k each I think.

The paint finish on the head was like nothing I have ever seen, not even on the most expensive exotic supercar. It glistened under the light and changed colour tone hypnotically depending on the angle of the light. There was a fine layer of gold dust embedded under the surface as well, making it seem to glow almost, even in dim light.

When asked to try it, I point-blank declined politely. I simply cannot bear to hit such a work of art. At that price, what if I skyed a shot and scratched it??

Later, I googled it and found out why those two particular drivers are so long. A fact that probably won't matter to the owner, a 70-year-old man, but the drivers in question were non-conforming.
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 11:24 am

Absoloutely worth while, to those that can afford it
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 11:37 am

I saw my friend's Honma club. It is very beatiful. It is also very nice to hit.
But though I have the money, I won't buy it.
If I really have lots of money, I will buy it but put it as display.
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 12:03 pm

sandkie wrote:
I saw my friend's Honma club. It is very beatiful. It is also very nice to hit.
But though I have the money, I won't buy it.
If I really have lots of money, I will buy it but put it as display.

I don't think they re talking about the gift sets that cost 88,888 but the 3 star and below variety
Back to top Go down
gadgetbearFN2R
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
gadgetbearFN2R

PostSubject: Re: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 12:42 pm

Well guys, at the end of the day, would there be any substantial benefit, if you pay tons of money for an item and you come to realise there isnt much gain, then you will start to doubt the purchase and its worthiness. Of course trying the club does help, but majority of the time when we test out a new club, we always tend to play it better.

dont you all agree? might as well take that same amount of money and test clubs like how the pro's do it and find a perfect fit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theos-blah.tumblr.com
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 1:05 pm

handiman wrote:
Hi,

Thanks.
Absolutely! Its the brand! Forget about hand-crafting, customisation, gold-plating etc. They mean nothing when you are buying into the brand's intrinsic value.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 1:19 pm

gadgetbearFN2R wrote:
Well guys, at the end of the day, would there be any substantial benefit, if you pay tons of money for an item and you come to realise there isnt much gain, then you will start to doubt the purchase and its worthiness. Of course trying the club does help, but majority of the time when we test out a new club, we always tend to play it better.

dont you all agree? might as well take that same amount of money and test clubs like how the pro's do it and find a perfect fit.

samT wrote:
handiman wrote:
Hi,

Thanks.
Absolutely! Its the brand! Forget about hand-crafting, customisation, gold-plating etc. They mean nothing when you are buying into the brand's intrinsic value.

Casio tells time. Rolex tells time. In fact, Casio, running on batteries, is often more accurate than Rolex.

But then, we don't buy Rolex just to tell time, do we...?

So, I guess the target market segment of Honmas with their upper end mega expensive products, clearly not among the posters here, one would be safe to assume, don't really buy Honmas just to hit the golf ball....

So here, I think samT hit the nail on the head.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 3:28 pm

Lee36328 wrote:
According to the website, each Honma club is made by hand, taking 6 months to make, passing through the hands of 100 people.

Impressive.

I once saw two Honma drivers which a guy bought 2nd hand at RM3k each. Iirc, he said when brand new, it costs several times more, RM15k each I think.

The paint finish on the head was like nothing I have ever seen, not even on the most expensive exotic supercar. It glistened under the light and changed colour tone hypnotically depending on the angle of the light. There was a fine layer of gold dust embedded under the surface as well, making it seem to glow almost, even in dim light.

When asked to try it, I point-blank declined politely. I simply cannot bear to hit such a work of art. At that price, what if I skyed a shot and scratched it??

Later, I googled it and found out why those two particular drivers are so long. A fact that probably won't matter to the owner, a 70-year-old man, but the drivers in question were non-conforming.

Hi Lee, I have read sometime back that a conforming and a non conforming head, tested by pros, that there is only a difference of between 5 to 15yds. So to an amateur, I don't think they can play out the difference in the distance. So in the end, an amateur buying a non conforming driver will never show any advantages over a conforming one. Only a pro will be able to performed the difference.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 3:59 pm

Hi Titu,

I thought all the non-conforming drivers would show more difference at lower swings speeds because at the lower speed, you do not have enough energy to compress the face of the driver.

Likewise, a trampoline effect would be a much smaller percentage on the swing speed of a pro which is already fast.

I have yet to read an article about slow swing speeds trying out non-conforming drivers but I do hear a lot of good comments from seniors who love their "Superman" drivers.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 5:15 pm

Hi Derek, I dunno about that except I read that report from those clubs review sites and all they mentioned was that it would only have an additional 5-15 yds advantage. To the pros, another 15 yds difference could mean an eagle or a birdie. As a low swing speed golfer myself, I never could tell the difference when I had gone thru a couple of those non conforming clubs in the past, honestly. Give up on that line of thoughts since long ago and now concentrating on just getting shorter but straighter drives.
Back to top Go down
LinLauPeh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
LinLauPeh

PostSubject: Re: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 4:05 pm

I was using Mizuno steel shaft when I started golfing until 3 years ago, I got a set of new Honma LB280G on 3 stars feather light doric titanium shaft. Thought it could help me improve on my game but I found difficulties hitting accurate shots compared with my steel shaft. My games got better only when I started changing my upswings flatter with unorthodox swings as some of my kakis here may have witnessed 2/3 years ago but at least my scores maintained at the regions of mid 80s to low 90s.

Having stopped golfing for a while, I began to face problems with my clubs/swings again and went to see a club fitter lately. Only did I find out that the shaft is too light for me and I tried other clubs with steel shafts which gave me the hitting consistency and accuracy. As such, I will need to change my irons to really enjoy my future games, at least with a better swing and will see a coach if needed.

Hence, having said much... my opinions via my experiences on Honma clubs are:
- good for senior golfers who punch rather than whacking.
- seek advice from club fitters.

Lastly, I learnt my lessons.... Never change your swing to suit your clubs but change your clubs to suit your swing!

Just my few cents worth of opinions...
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 5:04 pm

I think honma is worth it. Whenever I see one using honma, I dare nt bet with them
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 8:01 pm

each brand has their own market segment. its all about market segment la actually. honma is targeted at the 'money-aint-a-thing' kind of people, they got extra cash to blow. at the end of the day, it is used to play golf cheers
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 9:10 pm

I love Honma, the 90's version like CL708, LB208.
They are great club with fantastic feel.
I think Honma are the pioneers in multiple wraps on the shaft.
Including Quad or Hex wrap etc....

I was told not homan is bought over by the Chinese.
That is why the 2 top Chinese player are playing Honma.

I find the current range of honma looks ugly.
But this year they came out with a 30th anversry honma 737.
It is a beauty....
http://www.progolfjapan.com/mi_1111_pp737/
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Honma clubs worth the tag?   Honma clubs worth the tag? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Honma clubs worth the tag?
Page 1 of 1