Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

JDM clubs - Worth it?

Go down 
+40
matoonia
wongky
bigsplash
Itsuki
andrew-golf
nutty88
Red8
audi
Liv2golf
JohnBGLee
Denis
sob
hillgreen
tronos
slinger
rsenal
DGman
dionpratama
str3ak
enwee
hkhamateur
weesern
benedictteo83
bogeyman72
kamen
jeffman88
chien
BabyCroc
crayon33
charan
BestofTheBest
Batman
golfbuzz
gino
Technospaz
Pizzaman
pushslice
Najibapark
pocketace
44 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

JDM clubs - Worth it? Empty
PostSubject: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 6:25 pm

Lately there seemed to be a heightened interest on JDM clubs.

For irons, wedges and putters - enthusiasts talked about better "feel", better "forged", "softer" etc. It's kinda subjective, so I will not start a discussion on that

But let's talk about the $1,000 (give and take) JDM driver head like Ryoma, Romaro, RC, Epon, Akira, etc... Let's just focus purely on performance on all the COR conforming JDM driver heads - do they go further than your usual mass produced TM, Callaway, Cleveland etc?

If yes, what is it about these JDM heads that cannot be achieved by mass produced brands?

Why we don't see the best players in the world using them? (Talk about someone like Luke Donald who is contracted to use mostly mizuno clubs but tees off with a TM driver, Henrik Stenson is only contracted to Piretti putters and can choose any driver to play - not someone like Sergio or Tiger who has the entire bag of TM or Nike respectively)

If no, JDM drivers are not longer, then what is the appeal? Is it like when the ladies are tired of another Gucci / Louis Vuitton, they are now going for Hermes - because they can? Unique? Nicer design?

Your thoughts?

Back to top Go down
Najibapark
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Najibapark

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 6:58 pm

Hermes is premium.... so maybe it's the same? jdm premium too hahaha
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 7:00 pm

Not for me. Bcoz the outcome of my shots are more affected by my skills than the brand of the club and where or how the club was made.

Theres a lot of science and engineering behind club design and thats where the american brands do not lose out or even could be better than Japanese competition. Japan made clubs could be better in quality control and workmanship though,so i may accept the consistency argument. But still not worth the super premium price (e.g. callaway $300 vs ryoma 1000).

The moment $700 means peanut to me, then maybe i will change my mind Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pizzaman
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Pizzaman

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 7:10 pm

In my opinion, i believe the QC is better with the JDM clubs... even the stock shaft on my yamaha driver feels good too... maybe thats just me...

Talk about this ... there is a Crazy Driver in Creative Golf which i'm damn tempted to try...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 8:34 pm

I've tried various irons and while I see value in the more expensive clubs, I think it all boils down to skill. If you're a good player, chances are that you can use any club and it will work well for you. If you're a weekend hacker (like myself), spending heaps on clubs won't be as satisfying. The results would be mixed, at best, and ultimately you may feel "cheated" because the costly clubs don't work for you (when it's not the cost but skill which affected how they performed).

At present, I'm using the cheapest set of irons I've ever paid for and I'm getting the best results. Very pleased as it's a reminder that sometimes, it's not about the cost but really about what works well for you (given your skill level).
Back to top Go down
gino
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 8:40 pm

I guess the other thing about JDM products is also the attention to details. Just look at the Royal Collection driver head. I would use the term exquisite to describe it.
Back to top Go down
golfbuzz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
golfbuzz

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 8:47 pm

Pizzaman wrote:
In my opinion, i believe the QC is better with the JDM clubs... even the stock shaft on my yamaha driver feels good too... maybe thats just me...

Talk about this ... there is a Crazy Driver in Creative Golf which i'm damn tempted to try...

Saw that driver too. Crazy driver w fubuki alpha .sweet.......
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 8:49 pm

If I may, I would compare them to cars. Something closer to our hearts.

Japanese cars, also mass produced, but probably in terms of quality, maybe, just maybe a tiny notch below European makes like BMW, Mercs etc. Of course, I am not saying that Jap cars r not good in terms of quality. Hence do not get me wrong.

Hence if u r some1 who will appreciate that, go for it....
Back to top Go down
BestofTheBest
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
BestofTheBest

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 10:11 pm

one man's wine may be another man's poison

happy can liao

Cheers

BOTB
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 10:55 pm

gino wrote:
I guess the other thing about JDM products is also the attention to details. Just look at the Royal Collection driver head. I would use the term exquisite to describe it.

I always womder how does exquisite craftmanship translate to golf performance? Its not as if we put up clubs on cabinet as ornaments. We bash irons and woods against the ball at high speed and against earth, stone, sand, water, grass etc. Its like driving a bentley offroad.
Back to top Go down
charan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 10:57 pm

Same goes for me it's just poison to ur wallet!! I have personally played the best golf of my life with the Callaway X-20's!! But I still spend on more expensive Japanese equipment for the thrill!!
Back to top Go down
crayon33
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
crayon33

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:23 pm

pocketace wrote:
Lately there seemed to be a heightened interest on JDM clubs.

For irons, wedges and putters - enthusiasts talked about better "feel", better "forged", "softer" etc. It's kinda subjective, so I will not start a discussion on that

But let's talk about the $1,000 (give and take) JDM driver head like Ryoma, Romaro, RC, Epon, Akira, etc... Let's just focus purely on performance on all the COR conforming JDM driver heads - do they go further than your usual mass produced TM, Callaway, Cleveland etc?

If yes, what is it about these JDM heads that cannot be achieved by mass produced brands?

Why we don't see the best players in the world using them? (Talk about someone like Luke Donald who is contracted to use mostly mizuno clubs but tees off with a TM driver, Henrik Stenson is only contracted to Piretti putters and can choose any driver to play - not someone like Sergio or Tiger who has the entire bag of TM or Nike respectively)

If no, JDM drivers are not longer, then what is the appeal? Is it like when the ladies are tired of another Gucci / Louis Vuitton, they are now going for Hermes - because they can? Unique? Nicer design?

Your thoughts?

Having jumped onto the bandwagon about 6 months ago after meeting some seriously infectious JDM fanatics, I have had the pleasure to test some of the most exquisite drivers, fairway woods you can think of. Lets see, there was the S Yard T388, RomaRo 460HX, Ryoma Speed Tuning (hi Cor), Ryoma D1, F2, F3, F5 ,Ryoma Maxima JBeam 435 and the George Spirits 450, Crazy Driver and bunch of crazy shafts etc. ( thank u guys, buy u guys beer when got chance)

Some were crazy long and some had great feel. In the end I settled on a Ryoma D1 and F2 because they offered outstanding overall distance, feel and control. This driver is as long as my rbz tour, which was my longest driver to date but offers the explosive feeling that JDM clubs seems to deliver.

I think the men tour will not see a JDM driver since the reason for its choice by the players is mainly an economical one. TM pays Luke Donald and many other top players to use its drivers. Give Luke Donald a Dunlop Driver and he will probably hit it 285 yards down the middle of the fairway after a couple sessions with it. On the other hand, Na Yeon Choi did play with a George Spirits driver in 2009(?). More recently of course Ken Duke won the travelers championship with Akira wedges in his TM bag.

I think the appeal for JDM is subjective. For many, it could be the fact that JDM products are made for the typical Asian golfer in mind, ie with stronger lofts, longer shafts and lighter shafts. For others there is the prestige and exclusivity assosicated with brands like Honma and Kasco. For me, I have resisted trying JDM products for the longest time because I thought they were too high class, pretenious and bourgeois. Turns out I was actually being a snob about my preferences. This last 6 months have shown me that I, no, we should all never be judgemental or quick and stubborn to an opinion.

Back to top Go down
BabyCroc
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
BabyCroc

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:27 pm

I think golfers who go for jdm have a thing for aesthetics and nice looking things. JDM stuff tend to give more attention to details and the finishing, thus making the club look more elegant and sleek. I believe most clubs do give its fair share of performance in the right hands, and whether jdm or other brands, the clubs get the job done. Hence, the way i see it, jdm clubs simply position themselves in this highly competitive mkt by virtue of exquisite design and soft feel from their quality forgings, and charge a premium for the quality of clubs produced. 

A Hermes handbag gives the same performance as a coach handbag, but the quality of materials used may vary. At the highest level, its all about performance and results. But if 95% of us most likely do not turn pro in years to come and are likely to plateau somewhere in terms of scores, then wldnt golf be so boring without new and nice toys to fiddle with?
Back to top Go down
Najibapark
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Najibapark

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:30 pm

and a plus point for Hermes!! all are sewn by hand! if there's any mistake even a tiny one, they'll reject it from sales Razz
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:57 pm

i bought a sexy looking TM japan club once and i sold it at less than half price two years later.

My wife bought a french brand handbag for 6 times the price of my Jap iron. She just sold it after 2 yrs at her original buying price. 

So Najiba...forget JDM clubs. Really nice handbags are worth more Laughing
Back to top Go down
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:03 am

Apart from the performance which it works for some or works against some, Jdm is like exclusivity.  Not associated with "mass" and "common".
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:04 am

Batman wrote:

Japanese cars, also mass produced, but probably in terms of quality, maybe, just maybe a tiny notch below European makes like BMW, Mercs etc. Of course, I am not saying that Jap cars r not good in terms of quality. Hence do not get me wrong.

Sorry mate..

Have to disagree profusely..

Cannot compare a Camry with a 520 (comparing very similar cc).. The ride quality, the technology of the car, the in car systems, the road handling, noise level, built quality etc... All miles apart..

Of cos, the Lexus GS350 would be a very tough fight with the 535, but, for those who prefer a firmer ride and heavier feel all round the car (especially the doors), the 535 still stands out slightly..

So....... I won't compare TM with Miura.. Smile
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:05 am

pushslice wrote:
gino wrote:

I always womder how does exquisite craftmanship translate to golf performance? Its not as if we put up clubs on cabinet as ornaments. We bash irons and woods against the ball at high speed and against earth, stone, sand, water, grass etc. Its like driving a bentley offroad.

haha spoken like a man with pure logic.... however man's desire for things/ toys/ products is beyond logic and functionality and results...like others hv pointed out - build quality and product aesthetics oso play a critical role in achieving desire besides marketing hype and psychological poisoning Smile....

in the days post WW2 when raw materials and energy was scarce, the idiom was Form follows Function... Less is More... Minimalist... Bauhaus.... Basic needs to be met first... Prices kept low.... Any color can as long as it was black beige or white.... Engineers ruled the day...

Nowadays its Form dictates Function... Less is a Bore! More Bling... more details... Any color incl metallic colors... more exquisiteness... man-machine interface... Computer Aided Design, Improved Technologies, etc... Self -actualisation.... we don't wear a watch to tell accurate time anymore... (the smartphone is better).. the Franck Mullers and Patek Phillipes are all about show... Feel good factor ....
Back to top Go down
BestofTheBest
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
BestofTheBest

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:08 am

One of my friend recently converted from TITLEIST irons to a set of JDM irons

For him, he mentioned, there is a distinct different in performance. 

So. One man's wine is another man's poison

Worth it or not, it's up to the individual to decide. 

Certainly this thread is not meant to "prove" that mainstream brands can perform same or better than a JDM brand and it cost a lot more cheaper

Last edited by BestofTheBest on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:09 am

Interesting perspectives from all
I came across a thread on wrx with similar topic

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/538895-to-those-who-know-are-jdm-driverseponkamuiryomacrazy-longer-and-more-forgiving/

Some takeaways:
- yes JDM drivers do go further as much as 20 yards for some (they attribute to better materials, better QC, better build quality etc)
- no JDM drivers do not go further (all brands are limited by the COR restriction, wanna hit further? - get fitted, get proper instruction)

Different strokes for different folks
Back to top Go down
BestofTheBest
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
BestofTheBest

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:13 am

chien wrote:
Batman wrote:

Sorry mate..

Have to disagree profusely..

Cannot compare a Camry with a 520 (comparing very similar cc).. The ride quality, the technology of the car, the in car systems, the road handling, noise level, built quality etc... All miles apart..

Of cos, the Lexus GS350 would be a very tough fight with the 535, but, for those who prefer a firmer ride and heavier feel all round the car (especially the doors), the 535 still stands out slightly..

So....... I won't compare TM with Miura.. Smile

535 for me any day !!!!!
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:15 am

BestofTheBest wrote:

Certainly this thread is not meant to "prove" that mainstream brands can perform same or better than a JDM brand and it cost a lot more cheaper

No mate, I'm not trying to prove anything
I mentioned at the start of the thread, I don't wanna go into the territory of JDM irons, wedges and putters because performance is rather subjective there

I was genuinely curious if JDM drivers do go further because that one is based on pure numbers - how far the tee shot goes, no subjectivity involved

If confirmed yes, I will some serious itch to scratch
Based on all your replies here and what I read in WRX, not 100% convinced, but I'm glad that for those who took the plunge, they are happy nonetheless
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:24 am

pocketace wrote:
BestofTheBest wrote:

No mate, I'm not trying to prove anything
I mentioned at the start of the thread, I don't wanna go into the territory of JDM irons, wedges and putters because performance is rather subjective there

I was genuinely curious if JDM drivers do go further because that one is based on pure numbers - how far the tee shot goes, no subjectivity involved

If confirmed yes, I will some serious itch to scratch
Based on all your replies here and what I read in WRX, not 100% convinced, but I'm glad that for those who took the plunge, they are happy nonetheless

How can 1 skinny guy like me tee as far as you bro? JDM ! Smile
Back to top Go down
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kamen

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:28 am

My answer would simply be yes and no.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/spcasingapore
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kamen

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:29 am

2008 wrote:
Apart from the performance which it works for some or works against some, Jdm is like exclusivity.  Not associated with "mass" and "common".

I like it! Exclusivity exclusively...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/spcasingapore
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JDM clubs - Worth it?   JDM clubs - Worth it? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

JDM clubs - Worth it?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next