Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is it worth to re-grip?

Go down 
+12
asahi
mulligan
DGman
greenteaz
joshyo
alvin432
bryanachong
jloo61
nrafee
jwing
j-sho
eltonteo
16 posters
AuthorMessage
eltonteo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Is it worth to re-grip? Empty
PostSubject: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi all experts,

I am a beginner, and I have not been playing for at least 2 years and recently felt like picking up again. I have a set of beginner's iron (Maxfli), 4-PW where the grips has turned sticky. I bought the clubs at around $360 back in 2008. May I seek opinion if it would be worth to have the irons re-gripped? How much should I pay for each iron if I were to have them re-gripped? Appreciate all advise. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
j-sho
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 10:16 pm

eltonteo wrote:
Hi all experts,

I am a beginner, and I have not been playing for at least 2 years and recently felt like picking up again. I have a set of beginner's iron (Maxfli), 4-PW where the grips has turned sticky. I bought the clubs at around $360 back in 2008. May I seek opinion if it would be worth to have the irons re-gripped? How much should I pay for each iron if I were to have them re-gripped? Appreciate all advise. Thank you.

bob golf or far east shopping centre. do a google. yes it is worth. i re gripped my irons to new 2012 golf pride ones. nice colors as well. $15-$20 each
Back to top Go down
jwing
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
jwing

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 11:40 pm

Alternatively u may see if any bro here sell pull out new grip for good bargain.
And get it all done for better value..
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 8:45 am

Cost to regrip - approx $120.

It really depend how much you like these set of irons.
Back to top Go down
jloo61
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 11:07 am

hi hi.

sure u have to change ur grips after so long. it is hard or sticky.

well, some shops do have some 2nd grips if they are willing to change it and maybe costs about $6.00
or some shops do have lowel quality grips at about $8.00
Usual Golf Pride tour velvet rubber is about $12.00
few choice you have.
Just make sure that the grip is install according to your palm n finger size for better gripping feel.

Cheers mate n welcome back to the game
Back to top Go down
bryanachong
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bryanachong

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 11:09 am

Anyone recommended shop? Looking to re-grip mine to MCC grips
Back to top Go down
jloo61
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 am

hi bryan.

Many shops in singapore to change to MCC grips and also about 8 colors for u to choice.
BFG at Bukit merah, shops at Far east shopping centre, Bishun range, Toa payoh range, Laguna range, NSRCC changi and few more.

MCC is about $18.00 full set change maybe $17 or $16

Cheers mate
Back to top Go down
alvin432
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 12:11 pm

Try washing the grips with hot soapy water. As mentioned it may not be worth the cost as the grips may be worth more than the clubs now.
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 12:19 pm

I think u shld invest in a set of game improvement category irons like the burner 2.0 even 2nd hand will be more cost efficient than just changing new grips. 2nd hand burner go for abt 2xx-4xx depending on condition.
Back to top Go down
jloo61
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 11:32 pm

hi hi ppl
just for ur info. rubber n detergent dont get together.
it will get the rubber hardard after awhile.
Bests is to use warm water n rub it down untill u feel the oily surface clean.
maybe after a years, it should be time to change ur club grips if u do play quite often.

Thanks n cheers mate
Back to top Go down
greenteaz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
greenteaz

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 8:27 am

Erm. If u find the cost high, u can go queenstown. Look for Golftiam. There got some real cheap grips. Or maybe u can look for sigma golf. I saw some grips on offer
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 8:42 am

eltonteo.....

we have lots of very new used grips.....bring it in and have a change....the cost....
2 tea-C please....
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
mulligan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
mulligan

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 9:12 am

dgman +1
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 9:35 am

DGman wrote:
eltonteo.....

we have lots of very new used grips.....bring it in and have a change....the cost....
2 tea-C please....

eltonteo......

There you go.....fuss free and professional change of grip at almost no cost.

But please, fast in fast out hor.....dun itchy hands or some say backside and try the BFG wedges lying beside the pillar near the workshop, the fishy irons at the Trackman area and the many enticing ZEN putters in the Zen Room.
Guaranteed sleepless nights for you once touched.

@DGman, can I have the demo BFG wedges instead of new ones?
Hehe

geek
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 9:38 am

Asahi......the answer is

NNOOOO......you have to wait like everyone else. in fact if its not Slinger's birthday this week, i would have gone to the police with the CCTV recording.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 9:41 am

DGman wrote:
Asahi......the answer is

NNOOOO......you have to wait like everyone else. in fact if its not Slinger's birthday this week, i would have gone to the police with the CCTV recording.

God Dammit! The wedges missing again!?

Hiaz...these ppl hah.....no patience whatsoever.

I will help you do some prelim investigation when I come in tmr.
Seah Imm duck rice?
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 9:43 am

no lah Panji say i look too prosperous......got to diet......

after next christmas

Back to top Go down
charlesho
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
charlesho

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 9:58 am

Just checking, i feel my current grip size is a bit smaller and I do a few check online with my hand measurement, it either say mid size or standard size +++, wondering what is the +++ mean, while if i want to regrip, which are the few clubs recommended as a trial out before regriping everything.

thanks...
Back to top Go down
entity
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 10:15 am

I would hazard a guess to say their recommendation is for you to get 3 wraps of tape under a standard grip. Grip size is a fuzzy one - it all depends on the feel of the club to you. In general a smaller grip should encourage faster rolling of the hands at impact, while a larger grip should do the opposite.

Then again some clubfitters say it is not always like that, and just get the size that feels best to you.

charlesho wrote:
...standard size +++, wondering what is the +++ mean...
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 10:17 am

choosing the correct grip size is not a science like many people think. although there are guidelines, at the end of the day, it boils down to performance and preference.

most right hand golfers are naturally right hand biased and hence the preference for a thicker grip is preferred. now if you are using a jPX, its likely to come with a m-21 grip which is ideal for glove size 21 to 23. anything bigger than that, one may feel like you are not getting a good grip or may have a tendency to hold it too tight. again this is subjective and as a guideline its great but for proficient players, they know what they need and the guideline are not to be taken as the ultimate reference.

+++ means adding layers. most clubfitters would have a rack where different size grips are available for golfers to get a sense of getting what they like. most of the time for golfers to change to a bigger grip, we encourage them to do it on their 7 iron and PW first before committing to a whole set.

hope it helps.......DGman
Back to top Go down
charlesho
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
charlesho

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 10:27 am

Thanks DGman for the insights, I think I need some trial and error before I can find the right grip...

My initial thought was P, 7, and either my driver or my FW, but seems like my P & 7 will be sufficient, should definately find a day to visit your shop to seek some pointer on this.

Thanks for the help...
Back to top Go down
jloo61
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 7:33 pm

hi to all.
Just to add a little to grip size.
adding tapes to the grip also depends on the butt size and also depends on the grip thickness.
so like what Eric has said, no science to it, it,s all ur feel.

Cheers mate
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 7:41 pm

charlesho wrote:
Thanks DGman for the insights, I think I need some trial and error before I can find the right grip...

My initial thought was P, 7, and either my driver or my FW, but seems like my P & 7 will be sufficient, should definately find a day to visit your shop to seek some pointer on this.

Thanks for the help...
yah visit and get poisoned..... Smile
Back to top Go down
kooky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 10:03 am

whats the market rate of the labour cost of replacing grips (if i bringing my own new grips)

thanks
Back to top Go down
jloo61
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 11:13 pm

Kooky , is about $3 to $5
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it worth to re-grip?   Is it worth to re-grip? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is it worth to re-grip?
Page 1 of 1