Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Forged wedges

Go down 
+4
Derek
shamusan
Newtogolf
mox
8 posters
AuthorMessage
mox
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
mox

Forged wedges Empty
PostSubject: Forged wedges   Forged wedges I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 1:47 am

Hi all,

if one significant advantage of a forged iron is the good feel and if it is really important to 'feel' one's wedge shot, does it mean that forged wedges offer the most advantage over their cast cousins? (as opposed to forged vs cast non-wedge irons)

also, which forged wedges would you recommend, that provide the best feel, softness, etc?

and, what is the effect with the various different 'soles'? also, is type of shaft important for wedges?

and, any use getting fitted just for wedges?

thanks in advance for entertaining my many questions! Very Happy

Last edited by mox on Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Forged wedges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged wedges   Forged wedges I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 1:55 am

I may be wrong but when it comes to club loft adjustments, forged stuff may be better than casted ones.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Back to top Go down
mox
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
mox

Forged wedges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged wedges   Forged wedges I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 2:04 am

yeah, if i'm not wrong, the forged ones can be bent to adjust loft, etc.
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

Forged wedges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged wedges   Forged wedges I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 2:19 am

yes, the forged clubs can be bent to adjust loft and lie...

personally, if you are a beginner, i'd recommend the callaway jaws wedges... i find them amazing easy to use and for 150 a pop, you cant really go wrong with them...
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

Forged wedges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged wedges   Forged wedges I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 10:04 am

Hi Mox,

Feel is pretty subjective and depends on a lot of factors besides whether the head is forged, cast or any other technique in between. Shaft weight, flex, swing weight, bounce, grind all play a part ...

Feel at contact, the so called softness, tends to be softer with Forged Clubs instead of Cast, assuming sweetspot contact. However, there are many definitions of Forged, different forging processes between manufacturers, so there are also exceptions.

Does feel translate to advantage? I am not sure. Does Confidence translate to advantage? DEFINTELY!!!

I would suggest borrowing a variety of wedges and trying them out at the range first to pre-select, then take a couple to the course or chipping green and try them out. Hopefully, you will find some that just feel and perform better.

U are welcome to join the mass poisoning session every weds at MBGC known as SSN
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

Forged wedges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged wedges   Forged wedges I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 11:03 am

Hi Mox,

i guess you can benefit from fitting every club in ur bag. But i feel for wedges, like any other club, u really gotta try different ones out to see which ones u like. Some swear by vokey, some cleveland. most wedges come w stiff shafts if i'm not wrong.. u want something stiff enough to whack thru thick rough and bunkers and stuff. Go check out some of the used club stores in town. there are some in far east or u can check out creative golf at krata ayer. Joe's a very nice and helpful guy. they've got tonnes of used wedges.. alot of them in very very good condition.

The other thing u should consider is theloft and how many wedges u gonna end up putting in the bag.

a Lob wedge is 60. SW is 56-58. approach wedge or some call em Gap wedge is 51-53(to fill the gap between PW and SW). but depends on ur game and distance control.. u might not need them all.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

Forged wedges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged wedges   Forged wedges I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 11:55 am

my personal vote for best Value for Money and feel would be the old Nike VR wedges that were selling at $69 at Golf Direct

Forged, pretty soft, and spin the ball like mad ... only drawback is that they completely shred the ball even if you only have average swing speed

I love my current wedges, but they definitely fail in the Value for Money department
Back to top Go down
justinkohzx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Forged wedges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged wedges   Forged wedges I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 12:00 pm

Hey Derek,

What would you reccomend now then for value for money? OT from my other thread but of course would go down to SSN to try out diff wedges.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

Forged wedges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged wedges   Forged wedges I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 12:05 pm

I would still recommend them for Value but I don't think they are being sold brand new anymore

however, pls try before making a decision to buy, especially if you plan to prder online

Also, a word of caution, do not use expensive balls with these wedges unless you have some kind of sponsor (manufacturer or the FD kaki), they really tear up the ball

i half recall someone selling a full set in the marketplace
Back to top Go down
justinkohzx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Forged wedges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged wedges   Forged wedges I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 12:13 pm

Thanks dude. Dropped a msg to the guy selling the full set already.

When you mean tear up you mean like having cuts into the ball right? So unless I have a lifetime supply of Pro V1s or a bottomless budget I should stick to the cheaper balls on this one.

Besides SSN, are there golf shops that actually let you hit with them first? BFG@keppel?
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

Forged wedges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged wedges   Forged wedges I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 12:24 pm

I don't quite know how to describe the wear marks, but it is not the straight line cut that happens when u top the ball ...

Hit a good shot with these wedges, then stop and look at how much of your ball is left in the grooves and you will get an idea
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

Forged wedges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged wedges   Forged wedges I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 4:08 pm

I dont see how this is good for the game of cricket?like my friend Sachin Tendulkar likes to tell me, always no captain in the world can predict how the wicket is going to play.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

Forged wedges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged wedges   Forged wedges I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 4:16 pm

Every once in a while, a forumer with Bangla's sense of humor reappear. What was the name of last one? BB Carban something...
Back to top Go down
mox
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
mox

Forged wedges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged wedges   Forged wedges I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 4:22 pm

really, bangla?

that's not what Shahid Afridi told me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Forged wedges Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forged wedges   Forged wedges I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Forged wedges
Page 1 of 1