Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pondering what wedges to use..

Go down 
+7
Duval_S
cwpei8888
renode
shorthitter
netwin77
TourSwing
acidic88
11 posters
AuthorMessage
acidic88
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Pondering what wedges to use.. Empty
PostSubject: Pondering what wedges to use..   Pondering what wedges to use.. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 10:46 pm

Hi everyone, I had recently moved from Callaway graphite irons (which has PW & SW) to TM R9 with NSPRO 950GH shafts (4-PW).

Did some reading online and I must confess that I'm lost with all the available options. From LW to GW and other variables such as loft and bounce. If I were to go for a golf game now, I only know I lack a SW.

So my question is, how should I start in selecting wedges? If I were to purchase a SW, what are the main selection criteria? And will I require any other wedges?

Thanks in advance. Smile
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Pondering what wedges to use..   Pondering what wedges to use.. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 11:09 pm

R9 specs are as follows:
http://www.taylormadegolf.com/products/irons/r9-irons/product-detail-specifications

Your PW has a loft of 46 deg ... Therefore 2 options come to mind immediately ...

1) 46, 52, 58
2) 46, 50/52, 56, 60

More importantly hit them against a launch monitor, and have them bent/ adjusted so that you have consistant distance gaps

A good clubfitter like BFG can help you with this

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
netwin77
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pondering what wedges to use..   Pondering what wedges to use.. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 11:43 pm

Use to have 2 SW in bag 56/11 & 56/14 & Gap Wedge 52/08 . For the 56 it depend on the condition that u play that day & becos after all the wedges I only have 14club so no problem
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Pondering what wedges to use..   Pondering what wedges to use.. I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 1:01 pm

acidic88 wrote:
Hi everyone, I had recently moved from Callaway graphite irons (which has PW & SW) to TM R9 with NSPRO 950GH shafts (4-PW).

Did some reading online and I must confess that I'm lost with all the available options. From LW to GW and other variables such as loft and bounce. If I were to go for a golf game now, I only know I lack a SW.

So my question is, how should I start in selecting wedges? If I were to purchase a SW, what are the main selection criteria? And will I require any other wedges?

Thanks in advance. Smile

Standard Sand Iron has 56 degree loft. So you need some thing around that.

What you need to be aware of is the bounce angle. The more bounce the easier out of sand but more care must be taken when chipping.

8-10 degress of bounce is good enough.

All good wedges have both the loft and bounce numbers stamped on them.

Vokey, Cleveland, Callaway all good, depends as usual with golf equipment, on your budget. Beer
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
renode
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
renode

PostSubject: Re: Pondering what wedges to use..   Pondering what wedges to use.. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 1:09 pm

I have my theory about the number of wedges.

I do think that the advice of getting wedges to have consistent distance gaps is good, but it'll depend on the distance you are hitting with your current clubs. For example, if you are somewhat long hitter, you maybe getting 120m with your PW (loft=46 deg), so you might consider getting 52 deg (prob 100m), 56 deg (80m-90m) and 60 deg (60m-70m).

If you are like me, shorter hitter, PW goes 90m-100m, I use 52 deg (70m-80m) and 58 deg (50m-60m). For the short chips, depending on amount of green to work with, alternate between 52 deg and 58 deg. I find that I can work well with the wedges if I use them enough, and not have too many to play around, but that's just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
cwpei8888
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pondering what wedges to use..   Pondering what wedges to use.. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 1:27 pm

look up for the lie:
-for soft and fluffy sand, use higher bounce sw, hit 1' behind ball.
-for wet and firm sand, use the opposite, hit <1' behind ball.
-for thick rough ard green, use higher bounce lw for chipping and lob shoot.
-for firm rough ard green, use the opposite.

all shot done with open stance or again depending on the lie.

hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Pondering what wedges to use..   Pondering what wedges to use.. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 1:31 pm

http://www.titleist.com/vokey_wedge_guide/

Pondering what wedges to use.. Screen10

Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Pondering what wedges to use..   Pondering what wedges to use.. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 3:26 pm

cwpei8888 wrote:
look up for the lie:
-for soft and fluffy sand, use higher bounce sw, hit 1' behind ball.
-for wet and firm sand, use the opposite, hit <1' behind ball.
-for thick rough ard green, use higher bounce lw for chipping and lob shoot.
-for firm rough ard green, use the opposite.

all shot done with open stance or again depending on the lie.

hope that helps.

Wow, how many wedges do you carry?
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
cwpei8888
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pondering what wedges to use..   Pondering what wedges to use.. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 3:35 pm

depends, 6 at the first 9 then 3 at the back 9.

lost or sold the other 3 along the way. ROFL

joking aside, it's always good to check the green, weather, wind, and rough condition before tee-off to decide what to carry.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pondering what wedges to use..   Pondering what wedges to use.. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 3:36 pm

i am a one wedge person...anything tht is not in the bunker...fm 80-0 m fm green....I use my 51deg wedge.....I don even know what one will call such wedge...whether its AW, GW, LW...etc etc....

I call it my ' Utility Wedge '
Back to top Go down
cwpei8888
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pondering what wedges to use..   Pondering what wedges to use.. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 3:55 pm

golf is such an unfair games. only allowing 14 clubs per round.

I wish to use all 5 -sets per round. darn...Swing

but it will be called football then.
Back to top Go down
acidic88
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pondering what wedges to use..   Pondering what wedges to use.. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 6:18 pm

Thanks to all who answered my queries. Another question would be, is the amount of backspin important?
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Pondering what wedges to use..   Pondering what wedges to use.. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 6:52 pm

ummm ... although the type of wedge is a factor ... i think for most of us beginners and not so skillful amatuers, how u strike the ball is more critical to whether you can impart spin on the ball or not ...

also, it depends on whether you are talking about a full swing, pitch shot, punch, low running shot ... etc
Back to top Go down
antloh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
antloh

PostSubject: Re: Pondering what wedges to use..   Pondering what wedges to use.. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 6:18 pm

SW is the most important iron in my bag. Use it for all purposes for distance below 90m.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Pondering what wedges to use..   Pondering what wedges to use.. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 9:03 pm

cwpei8888 wrote:
depends, 6 at the first 9 then 3 at the back 9.

lost or sold the other 3 along the way. ROFL

joking aside, it's always good to check the green, weather, wind, and rough condition before tee-off to decide what to carry.

Does that mean that in the booth of your car, there are a lot of extra wedges with different lofts and different bounces? So when you reached the car park of the golf club, then you decide which wedge to select after judging the weather at that moment?
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Pondering what wedges to use..   Pondering what wedges to use.. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 2:59 pm

Hey,

just my 5 cent idea....

If you do a lot of reading, most Golf Pros carry 3 to 4 wedges in their bag.

That's why it's called "your Scoring club"

Most off the rack PW, are either 45/ 46*
and most often intermediate and advanced Golfers would either
buy a 52 or 54* wedge....your AW / or GW

and for SW, its either you get a 56 or 58*

In my case, I often bring a 52* and 58*

with 52* wedge, I can "adjust my loft" between 51* if I want to "bump" it or adjust the lie to 54* ....depending on what shot I want to make.

With my 58* wedge, I can adjust the loft between 56* , 58* and 60*...making it more flexible and versatile. For Bunker/ sand shots...I can open the 58* to 60* and making my sand shot easier to make.

hope this helps

lastly, some wedge combination goes like this....

54 and 60*....just like TW
52 , 60 and 64* by Phil Mickleson

Happy Golfing
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
acidic88
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pondering what wedges to use..   Pondering what wedges to use.. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 5:49 pm

Well, I bought a TM Rac 56* for now. Felt really good so far. Will like get another 52* after I finish my shaft and putter journey. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pondering what wedges to use..   Pondering what wedges to use.. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pondering what wedges to use..
Page 1 of 1