Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can shaft last a life time?

Go down 
+8
DRGjr72
Cyp_PGA
cwpei8888
Derek
Gray
tronos
smallhorse
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Can shaft last a life time? Empty
PostSubject: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 12:01 pm

had my driver shaft changed and fitted almost 3 yrs ago. Wondering if the quality of the shaft deteriorate over time?
Back to top Go down
smallhorse
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 2:08 pm

2008 wrote:
had my driver shaft changed and fitted almost 3 yrs ago. Wondering if the quality of the shaft deteriorate over time?

Yes it will. But 3 years, the quality do not change much. > 5 years yes.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 2:41 pm

in 3 years do you still have the same swing speed and swing?
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 4:42 pm

i asked this question before. answer came back smthing like unless u swing the club like samson or a grisly bear, the shaft can last a long long long time lah. so for my swing speed, i dont need worry abt damaging my shaft and changing
Back to top Go down
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 10:39 pm

okay, so save on my wallet..
Back to top Go down
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 10:40 pm

tronos wrote:
in 3 years do you still have the same swing speed and swing?

more or less the same..
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 10:42 pm

depends on whether you have been lending it around ... esp to guys who have a much faster swing speed ....

anyways ... getting fitted for a driver shaft is always a good thing ... so I guess u can consider after 3 years ... esp if you are starting to have doubts about it
Back to top Go down
cwpei8888
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 11:04 pm

gray made a good point. shaft will last >10yrs, but it's good to re-grip once a year.
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 11:15 pm

I don't think the shaft quality will not last more than 3 year as the stiffness will decrease. You should measure the CPM ( stiffness of the shaft) and the stiffness that you want matches ....

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 11:27 pm

cwpei8888 wrote:
gray made a good point. shaft will last >10yrs, but it's good to re-grip once a year.

ummm ... IMHO ... I seriously don't think graphite shafts can remain consistent for that long ... it does not mean they can't be used ... just that they deteriorate and get more flexible and twist more with time
Back to top Go down
cwpei8888
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 9:43 am

good point Cyp_PGA. i tot about it, tt;s why i started off with stiff steel shaft. hopefully as i'm reaching 50s when my bone and muscle will not work well, the stiffness as good as ladies graphite shaft lol!
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 9:51 am

Got this from a guy who has a Masters Degree in Material Science that dealt with kind of materials used in golf shaft compositiona and construction:

"The only way for a shaft to get softer would be for the layers to delaminate, which would happen through impact damage or being subject to excessive repeated twisting (alot more twisting than occurs during the swing) or heat north of 300F. Also if the layers delaminated the shafts ability to remain in one piece would severely compromised (more so that the stiffness).

In short if your graphite shaft had undergone some kind of damage to make it play weaker it would have broken."

Also I read from Tom Wishon (renowned club builder in the US) that the graphite fatigue is a myth. "The idea that an undamaged shaft will "wear out" or suffer from "fatigue" to the point that it no longer performs the same after long-term use is a myth."

It seems like unless there is some damage done to the material make up of the shaft it should be good to go for a long time.

Hope that helps
Back to top Go down
cwpei8888
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 10:01 am

awesome article man! as they say "if it aint broke dont fix it".
Back to top Go down
smallhorse
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 2:00 pm

DRGjr72 wrote:
Got this from a guy who has a Masters Degree in Material Science that dealt with kind of materials used in golf shaft compositiona and construction:

"The only way for a shaft to get softer would be for the layers to delaminate, which would happen through impact damage or being subject to excessive repeated twisting (alot more twisting than occurs during the swing) or heat north of 300F. Also if the layers delaminated the shafts ability to remain in one piece would severely compromised (more so that the stiffness).

In short if your graphite shaft had undergone some kind of damage to make it play weaker it would have broken."

Also I read from Tom Wishon (renowned club builder in the US) that the graphite fatigue is a myth. "The idea that an undamaged shaft will "wear out" or suffer from "fatigue" to the point that it no longer performs the same after long-term use is a myth."

It seems like unless there is some damage done to the material make up of the shaft it should be good to go for a long time.

Hope that helps

Yup. Good notes.
I read somewhere on this as well. Hence as a general rule, check your shaft for fatique use and do change it after 5 years. (If you hide your clubs for 5 years, then this does not applies)

It's true, if its not broken, don't fix it. (Just enjoy the game of golf and continue to learn from others and do speak to a club fitter to understand more, make your own assessment there after)

Problem usually lies in "Me" not the shaft. I meant golf shaft.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 6:20 pm

Interesting ... but the CPM of my driver shaft actually dropped from the day that I first bought it to the day I had it changed ... is there some explanation for this?
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 6:47 pm

Derek wrote:
Interesting ... but the CPM of my driver shaft actually dropped from the day that I first bought it to the day I had it changed ... is there some explanation for this?
I think it actualy depend on where you store it. A lot of golfers like to keep their club in the car which indeed maybe baking the club especially if you always park under hot sun. Although unlikely it will change any properties of the graphite, it may have some minor impact on the flex itself.

There is also some other factors on CPM measurement as well, example like clamping at which length of the shaft, changing of different head weight and measure at different orientation....... all these may contribute to different CPM reading on a same shaft (Hope I am right Razz)

I think a shaft will last quite some time if we take care of it clown
Back to top Go down
Ron Ooi
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Ron Ooi

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 7:43 pm

save $ Bro Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 8:53 pm

Mine was a graman 5 fitted by Eric almost 3 yrs back. Happen to past by OCC and check with the staff, was told usually advisable to change about 3.5 yrs. I didn't ask him for the reason though..
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 8:57 pm

2008 wrote:
Mine was a graman 5 fitted by Eric almost 3 yrs back. Happen to past by OCC and check with the staff, was told usually advisable to change about 3.5 yrs. I didn't ask him for the reason though..

likely your swing speed changed and u need a stiffer shaft.
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 9:05 pm

i found my last post

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t9989-life-span-of-shafts?highlight=shaft+life+span

read dg mans explanation lah
Back to top Go down
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 9:14 pm

Gray wrote:
i found my last post

Thanks. That's explains all. So bottom line is, no need to change. Razz
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 9:21 pm

for me, the bottom line was more "so its safe to buy 2nd hand clubs" especially steel shaft ones. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
ron81
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
ron81

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 10:41 pm

Gray wrote:
for me, the bottom line was more "so its safe to buy 2nd hand clubs" especially steel shaft ones. Embarassed

You may wanna note that most steel shaft will rust inside over time. At least for once I saw when my friend broke one of his Nippon Steel. Surprised
Back to top Go down
golfcoma
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 10:49 pm

2008 wrote:
Gray wrote:
i found my last post

Thanks. That's explains all. So bottom line is, no need to change. Razz

I think there's generally no need to change clubs unless your swing or style of play has changed over time. However, 'want' typically overrules 'need' most of the time Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can shaft last a life time?   Can shaft last a life time? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can shaft last a life time?
Page 1 of 1