Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shaft's life

Go down 
+13
chien
slinger
Begbie
audi
tronos
pocketace
pink ranger
scottycollector
crayon33
greenteaz
enwee
NikeN
costajos
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi All,

Was wondering this about golf shafts and hope if any of you can share your knowledge.

How do you know when a new golf shaft is seasoned? And how do you know when a golf shaft is past its prime.

Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 3:02 pm

When it fail to perform as past? Or it fail to meet your expectation?
Another excuse to buy new toy... Smile
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 3:05 pm

kenkong79 wrote:
No need excuse lah......when u see, like irregardless your old toy performing or not....still will buy. Smile
Back to top Go down
greenteaz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
greenteaz

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 3:22 pm

its time to change when your wallet says so
Back to top Go down
crayon33
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
crayon33

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 5:11 pm

I think Tom Wishon or some other guru fitter has said that the golf shafts will not deteriorate in quality or performance characteristics over time.

I think this is correct, the thing that changes is usually the guy who is holding the shaft tend to deteriorate or change in performance over time, and that is why we will always need to buy new shafts, drivers, irons sets, wedges, putters, etc....

But seriously, unless the shaft breaks into 2, I think you can pretty much play it for as long as you want. (Please don't read this last statement with notti thoughts ah)

Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 5:37 pm

like every other thing on earth, everything has an expiry date. ok maybe except diamonds since they are 'forever'

anyway, a shaft will experience wear and tear over time, but we usually dont use a shaft long enough for the effects to show. i think the part of the shaft that will experience the most wear is at its kick point, as well as at the hosel, since that is where most of the bending will take place during the swing.

also, if you are using a flex that is too soft for your swing, it will deteriorate faster, since it was not made to bear that amount of force.

in summary, if you are using a shaft that has an appropriate or stiffer than appropriate flex, the chances are that it will last for as long as you do...

Last edited by scottycollector on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pink ranger
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 5:38 pm

even steel shafts? they won't deteriorate?
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 5:41 pm

Rust may set in for Steel shaft though...
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 6:09 pm

if can deteriorate then better dont fly the new planes...i broke 3 shafts before, all at the hosel (me lousy player, dig too much ground with the woods and driver). The point where the shaft enters the hosel is where the highest stress is.

I have swing a damaged shaft that looks perfect from outside. Also once at the Golfer Network midnight sale, a heard a few shaft crack (fallen hybrid on the floor) when ppl step on them during the stampede. When i took a look, the shafts looks and feel normal. Safe to say i did not by a hybrid that day.

Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 6:45 pm

my steel shaft is rusty also. nice combo actually with the rusty heads
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 6:58 pm

Costajos, ur in a phase of thinking too much, too deep and too hard. Use that time to get a date with a new squeeze or perhaps chng ur car.. Like mentioned by scottycollector , all things in life , everything has got an expiry date, including ur enthusiasm in golf and anything thats associated with it..

Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 7:21 pm

Begbie wrote:
Costajos, ur in a phase of thinking too much, too deep and too hard. Use that time to get a date with a new squeeze or perhaps chng ur car.. Like mentioned by scottycollector , all things in life , everything has got an expiry date, including ur enthusiasm in golf and anything thats associated with it..

lol yea just curious i guess. but if man never thought or wondered about stuff... why is the earth round, the sun shine... society would have never progress.

like scottycollector said.. using a shaft that has an appropriate or stiffer than appropriate flex, the chances are that it will last for as long as you do (sic).
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 7:26 pm

costajos wrote:
Begbie wrote:

lol yea just curious i guess. but if man never thought or wondered about stuff... why is the earth round, the sun shine... society would have never progress.

like scottycollector said.. using a shaft that has an appropriate or stiffer than appropriate flex, the chances are that it will last for as long as you do (sic).

Hahaaa .. Like I said other things to wonder abt.. Shaft life is the least of it.. Maybe my interest in golf kinda slowed down a bit.. Looking for new hobby Smile
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 7:43 pm

Begbie wrote:
costajos wrote:
Begbie wrote:

Hahaaa .. Like I said other things to wonder abt.. Shaft life is the least of it.. Maybe my interest in golf kinda slowed down a bit.. Looking for new hobby Smile

Lol yea. Know what you mean. Sometimes we just need a breath of fresh air Wink
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:26 pm

dun leave your clubs in the trunk of your car.....

if u do, make sure the car is sheltered from the heat of the sun....

heat is not good for the shafts....

after a wet round of golf, dun leave the clubs in the car as well...

remove the headcovers (if u have) and air the clubs to prevent moisture buildup....
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Since we are talking about shafts..

One innocent question... Not directed on anyone..

When we go fix some shafts, besides being there physically to see the fitting, how do we know all the shafts are brand new ?

Could one or two be used for demos before and put into our clubs?

Is there a way to tell a brand new from not so brand new after the shaft been fixed to the club head..?

Thanks bros !

Gong Xi Fa Cai !!!

Hooray

Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 9:41 pm

aiya jo, just follow my lead... go to PGA show when you have the chance... and have friends tht are going when you are not free... so you will change your equipment every year... no worries abt storing clubs in the car, moisture, heat, shaft life or any such rubbish...

i dont even use my clubs long enough to see rust form...
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 9:48 pm

If my memory serves me well, someone reputable here mentioned that there is no shelf life in shafts ... However, I stand corrected ...
Back to top Go down
jloo61
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 12:49 am

hi guys n hi chien.

is quite easy to see a new or use shaft.
New graphite shaft, the tip of the shaft is not shaver out n should be about 45inch in raw b4 cutting.
same as for steel shafts for irons. the tip of the shaft is the grind n normally about 2 inch more b4 cutting.

Driver graphite shaft normally last about 8000 to 12000 hits, also depends on ur swing swing.

if each time when u reshaft a driver, is better to check the Fq when is new. then after 6 months of playing it, check again to see how much Fq has been drop.
I would guess dropping at about 15fq , is consider soften n might start hooking or slicing away.

A driver shaft do wore out the fasters. compare to others.
More local pros that plays in the tour circiut, do change their shaft about once a month, anyway they are sponsered.

hope u understand better.

Thanks n cheers

Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 8:47 am

Many thanks jloo

Yup I know about before fitting. I was actually asking

Is there a way to tell a brand new from not so brand new after the shaft been fixed to the club head..?

Thanks

Gong Xi Fa Cai !!!

Hooray

Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 10:00 am

jloo61 wrote:
hi guys n hi chien.

is quite easy to see a new or use shaft.
New graphite shaft, the tip of the shaft is not shaver out n should be about 45inch in raw b4 cutting.
same as for steel shafts for irons. the tip of the shaft is the grind n normally about 2 inch more b4 cutting.

Driver graphite shaft normally last about 8000 to 12000 hits, also depends on ur swing swing.

if each time when u reshaft a driver, is better to check the Fq when is new. then after 6 months of playing it, check again to see how much Fq has been drop.
I would guess dropping at about 15fq , is consider soften n might start hooking or slicing away.

A driver shaft do wore out the fasters. compare to others.
More local pros that plays in the tour circiut, do change their shaft about once a month, anyway they are sponsered.

hope u understand better.

Thanks n cheers

thanks jloo! really helpful! can you shed any light on steel shafts as well?
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 10:03 am

kenkong79 wrote:

lol Ken HH when?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 10:48 am

costajos wrote:
kenkong79 wrote:

lol Ken HH when?

Topic OFF

Anyway HH recently raised their price again.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 11:07 am

enwee wrote:
costajos wrote:
kenkong79 wrote:

lol Ken HH when?

Topic OFF

Er....when started n by how much? Question
Am gamg there followg week! Tx enwee bro! Wink

@Chien bro, gd ques despite i m gamg on stock shafts Very Happy
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 11:10 am

hkhamateur wrote:
enwee wrote:
costajos wrote:
kenkong79 wrote:

lol Ken HH when?

Topic OFF

Er....when started n by how much? Question
Am gamg there followg week! Tx enwee bro! Wink

@Chien bro, gd ques despite i m gamg on stock shafts Very Happy
Now wkdays is RM 170 and sun pm is RM 240.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shaft's life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaft's life   Shaft's life I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shaft's life
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next