Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Club Offset: Who needs em and why?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

Club Offset: Who needs em and why? Empty
PostSubject: Club Offset: Who needs em and why?   Club Offset: Who needs em and why? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 7:56 pm

Hello again! I was just viewing the Adams Idea Tech A4 hybrid and i realised it didn't have any offset like normal irons do. So i'm just wondering what is the purpose of having an offset in the first place and is a club without one suited to all?

I'm guessing the hybrid w/o the offset is meant more for sweeping the ball instead of making a big divot? Just a wild n00b guess there.. haha

Thanks for the help GR forumers! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Club Offset: Who needs em and why?   Club Offset: Who needs em and why? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 8:01 pm

i could be wrong but i think offset helps to get the ball airborne easier.. scratch
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Club Offset: Who needs em and why?   Club Offset: Who needs em and why? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 8:05 pm

beginners tend to open up the club head (which is why slicing is the most common problem).

IMO until you constantly hooking the ball then club offset is there to reduce that banana.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Club Offset: Who needs em and why?   Club Offset: Who needs em and why? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 8:07 pm

I got this from the web... its by Tom Wishon..

Question: What is Offset, and Why are Some Clubs Designed With It?

Answer: Offset is a design condition in clubheads in which the neck or hosel of the head is positioned in front of the face of the clubhead, so that the clubface appears to be set back a little from the neck of the club. (Put another way, offset is the distance that the forward side of the neck/hosel of the clubhead is set in front of the bottom of the face of the clubhead.)

When a wood or ironhead is designed to have more offset, two game improvement factors automatically occur, each of which can help the golfer. First, the more offset, the farther the head's center of gravity is back from the shaft. And the farther the CG is back from the shaft, the higher the trajectory will be for any given loft on the face. In this case, more offset can help increase the height of the shot for golfers who have a difficult time getting the ball well up in the air to fly.

Second, the more offset in the clubhead, the more time the golfer has on the downswing to rotate the face of the clubhead back around in order to arrive at impact closer to being square to the target line. In other words, offset can help a golfer come closer to squaring the face at impact because the clubface arrives at impact a split-second later than with a club that has no offset. Thus the second benefit of offset is to help reduce the amount the golfer may slice or fade the ball.
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Club Offset: Who needs em and why?   Club Offset: Who needs em and why? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 8:10 pm

Wow so cheem ... 8)

So Bro Lam, the summarised answer is actually the combination of our answers: to go up and reduce banana
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Club Offset: Who needs em and why?   Club Offset: Who needs em and why? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 8:13 pm

watermyforrest wrote:
Wow so cheem ... 8)

So Bro Lam, the summarised answer is actually the combination of our answers: to go up and reduce banana

Bro WMF, Beer Smile
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Offset: Who needs em and why?   Club Offset: Who needs em and why? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 8:55 pm

i think mine oso got offset....

well, beginners are better in offset clubs.... Smile
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Club Offset: Who needs em and why?   Club Offset: Who needs em and why? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 9:15 pm

jaketang wrote:

You're no beginner, Jake... Mad
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Offset: Who needs em and why?   Club Offset: Who needs em and why? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 9:18 pm

Lamts18 wrote:
jaketang wrote:

You're no beginner, Jake... Mad

mr lamts18, dun listen too much to rumors...always being magnifying 10 times at least....

my clubs r really offset and till now i still dun even dare to try forged la, blade la.... juz stick to simple clubs...

i have got not consistency in my game... Sad
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Club Offset: Who needs em and why?   Club Offset: Who needs em and why? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 10:28 pm

wah.. liddat then the adams hybrid is for pros already.. haha sian i was planning on getting one but i don't think i can handle it with my swing. Razz
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Offset: Who needs em and why?   Club Offset: Who needs em and why? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 10:30 pm

ironfist wrote:
wah.. liddat then the adams hybrid is for pros already.. haha sian i was planning on getting one but i don't think i can handle it with my swing. Razz

i am using the old adams A2... for beginner... wide base...offset....3&4 hybrid together with 5irons thru P..... Smile

but i think no production liao....
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Club Offset: Who needs em and why?   Club Offset: Who needs em and why? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 10:56 pm

haha yeah now smallest number is a3. Very Happy

and another thought; would shaft lean equate to offset? obviously it wouldn't affect the bit about shifting the CG though..
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Club Offset: Who needs em and why?   Club Offset: Who needs em and why? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 10:58 pm

The Adams A07 max looks quite interesting.... may be getting it... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Club Offset: Who needs em and why?   Club Offset: Who needs em and why? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 11:49 pm

eh just saw the A2 3 hybrid on ebay. golftiam's selling it! haha 110 for a brand new one. tempting..
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Offset: Who needs em and why?   Club Offset: Who needs em and why? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 12:15 am

ironfist wrote:
eh just saw the A2 3 hybrid on ebay. golftiam's selling it! haha 110 for a brand new one. tempting..

i got my whole iron set, 3H & 4H + 5i - P @ S$950 (inclusive of shipment)

so far, doin great with the 4H but seldom use the 3H.....control quite different from 4H... must be my swing.... Sad
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Club Offset: Who needs em and why?   Club Offset: Who needs em and why? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 2:50 am

think i'm gonna go for the a4os 3H. will let you know if the club and me got chemistry or not. haha

Last edited by ironfist on Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Alan
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Club Offset: Who needs em and why?   Club Offset: Who needs em and why? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 9:39 am

The offset is used such that golfers' hands is ahead of the club head (relative position) in the impact position.

Once golfer set in to use the club (offset or without offset), he or she will very quickly adopt it as natural. Of course, there will be golfers who could not switch between offset and no offset as quickly as others.
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Club Offset: Who needs em and why?   Club Offset: Who needs em and why? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 12:20 pm

ohhh so for instance since i already set up with my hands ahead of the ball (i.e shaft lean) then having offset or no offset shouldn't be much of a problem?
Back to top Go down
Alan
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Club Offset: Who needs em and why?   Club Offset: Who needs em and why? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 12:30 pm

if you could set your hands ahead of the ball, then you could use either offset or no offset, as it is no difference to you.

The offset clubs is to help golfers who find that it is difficult to position their hands ahead of the ball (of course relatively).
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Club Offset: Who needs em and why?   Club Offset: Who needs em and why? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2009 1:04 pm

understooded. thanks for the advice! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Club Offset: Who needs em and why?   Club Offset: Who needs em and why? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Club Offset: Who needs em and why?
Page 1 of 1