Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question on shafts

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Aaltl
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Question on shafts Empty
PostSubject: Question on shafts   Question on shafts I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 3:07 pm

Question for the shaft gurus here, what would be the difference in feel between a lighter and heavier shaft of the same brand and flex? Eg 55g stiff and 60g stiff? Would it be purely swing weight? Static weight? I have no idea so would like to learn more.
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

Question on shafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question on shafts   Question on shafts I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 3:11 pm

lighter shaft = faster swing speed = ball fly further

Back to top Go down
Aaltl
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Question on shafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question on shafts   Question on shafts I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi gray, so what you are saying is that under normal circumstances its best to use the lightest stiffest shaft that one can handle? When would someone want to use a heavier shaft of the same flex?
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

Question on shafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question on shafts   Question on shafts I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 3:29 pm

lighter shaft = faster swing speed = ball fly further but may not equal to ball fly straight

Maybe if your tempo too fast, then need heavier shaft to slow tempo to get staright ball

But I am not qualified in this forum to give you accurate information. There are many more bros more qualified than myself to tell you what you need to know.
Back to top Go down
Aaltl
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Question on shafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question on shafts   Question on shafts I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 3:42 pm

Appreciate your input nonetheless. It's nice to get input from a real person rather than just reading from google.com
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

Question on shafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question on shafts   Question on shafts I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 3:57 pm

smacking a ball with an empty plastic bottle vs with one filled with water.

yes the empty bottle swings faster but you may get the same distance using the one with the water filled.

kinda extreme ends but think you get the idea. find the balance between speed and inertia, and smack the balls!

sounds wrong bounce
Back to top Go down
Aaltl
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Question on shafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question on shafts   Question on shafts I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 4:02 pm

What I've read so far seems to be heavier and or heavier has more control and stability vs light for swing speed and possibly distance at the expense of some control. Seems to be what You guys are saying as well.

Slowly getting a better idea of what I want. Will go see dgman sometime and hope he not to busy spend some time fitting a newbie.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

Question on shafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question on shafts   Question on shafts I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 4:06 pm

Aaltl wrote:
Question for the shaft gurus here, what would be the difference in feel between a lighter and heavier shaft of the same brand and flex? Eg 55g stiff and 60g stiff? Would it be purely swing weight? Static weight? I have no idea so would like to learn more.
Interesting thread.

Is 5g difference in shaft weight considered a lot or insignificant?

From my uneducated guess:

Say an average driver ~ 310 gm (200g head, 60g shaft, 50g grip +- maybe 2% mfg tolerances)
55g and 60g = 5g difference..
5g shaft difference ~2%?

Will the golfer be able to tell this 5g difference in total weight?
Back to top Go down
Master
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Master

Question on shafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question on shafts   Question on shafts I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 4:11 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
Aaltl wrote:
Interesting thread.

Is 5g difference in shaft weight considered a lot or insignificant?

From my uneducated guess:

Say an average driver ~ 310 gm (200g head, 60g shaft, 50g grip +- maybe 2% mfg tolerances)
55g and 60g = 5g difference..
5g shaft difference ~2%?

yes.
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

Question on shafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question on shafts   Question on shafts I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 4:12 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:

I think its mental. feel good, play good
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Question on shafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question on shafts   Question on shafts I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question on shafts
Page 1 of 1