Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this?

Go down 
+18
weesern
thehacker
haragolfer
cenbale
slinger
power72
bkll
garylin
Duval_S
Ssquirrel
Technospaz
Birdman
smallhorse
S70B
asahi
dmateo
skybobo
zixter
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
kk
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this?   Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 4:32 pm

I used to be afraid when my ball lands in a bunker. For fairway bunkers, I will take 1 iron more ie. if your distance is 150m, i will use 6 iron instead of 7 iron.

For bunkers around green, i will choose either 56 or 52 wedge, depending on distance. I will dig my feet into sand (stay low). Wide stance (being stable). Ball position towards left leg, open club face and REMEMBER to FOLLOW THROUGH. Worst case scenarion is that your golf mate would be hit by your ball ! No worries as he's covered by insurance....... ha ha ha. Best case scenario, your ball is near the pin ! Normal circumstances, your ball lands onto the green.
Back to top Go down
musashi75
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this?   Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 12:16 am

I'd like to find out more on how to handle those bunker shots where the ball is below your feet or above your feet (on slope). I suspect that the angle of the ball flight will be different depending on the situation. Another thing that I've struggled with is those shots where you have 1 or even 2 legs outside the bunker and have to get the ball out.

Thanks for your guidance.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this?   Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 12:38 am

musashi75 wrote:
I'd like to find out more on how to handle those bunker shots where the ball is below your feet or above your feet (on slope). I suspect that the angle of the ball flight will be different depending on the situation. Another thing that I've struggled with is those shots where you have 1 or even 2 legs outside the bunker and have to get the ball out.

Musashi75,

If the ball is above your feet, stand taller and grip down on the club, even down the steel shaft if need be. Who says you must keep your hands on the grip? It's a short swing right? The ball will tend to fly left.

Ball below your feet, open your legs as wide as you can and bend your knees. Again, grip down for control as much as your position will allow, better than standing taller and gripping the club to the end of the grip. Of utmost importance is to stay down through the shot since the reflex is to straighten up on the downswing. The ball will tend to fly right with right sidespin so aim left.

1 or 2 legs outside of bunker, same as ball below your feet, open wide for stability and stay down through the shot. I've ever had to attempt a bunker shot by kneeling down on the grass outside of the bunker, same principle of stability.

It's important to not expect too much out of each of these positions, just get the ball out. Stay stable, stay down through the shot, and follow through.
Back to top Go down
ironhead
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this?   Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 12:51 am

or

u can declare yr shot unplayable and take a stroke and distance penalty.
Back to top Go down
musashi75
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this?   Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 7:39 am

Birdman wrote:
musashi75 wrote:

Musashi75,

If the ball is above your feet, stand taller and grip down on the club, even down the steel shaft if need be. Who says you must keep your hands on the grip? It's a short swing right? The ball will tend to fly left.

Ball below your feet, open your legs as wide as you can and bend your knees. Again, grip down for control as much as your position will allow, better than standing taller and gripping the club to the end of the grip. Of utmost importance is to stay down through the shot since the reflex is to straighten up on the downswing. The ball will tend to fly right with right sidespin so aim left.

1 or 2 legs outside of bunker, same as ball below your feet, open wide for stability and stay down through the shot. I've ever had to attempt a bunker shot by kneeling down on the grass outside of the bunker, same principle of stability.

It's important to not expect too much out of each of these positions, just get the ball out. Stay stable, stay down through the shot, and follow through.

Thanks very much for your tips, Birdman! I will try this out the next time I'm at the course. You are quite right, I'll make a conscious effort to resist straightening up when playing that shot.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this?   Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 1:13 pm

Ur most welcome Musashi75, hope it all works out. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sly21498
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this?   Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 2:49 pm

Try this...

Align stance slightly left.....club face facing the direction you wanna aim at (Particularly towards the hole). Weight on the left foot. Ball can be on the left for near approach and centre for further ones.

Aim and hit 1 degree behind the ball. Meaning hit the sand...(wet textured)
Aim and hit 2 degree behind the ball. Meaning hit the sand...(soft textured)

It works for me......
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this?   Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 2:52 pm

Bro Sly, I think you mean 1 inch behind the ball for wet and 2 inches behind for soft textured sand.
Back to top Go down
sly21498
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this?   Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 3:01 pm

Yepppp...Engrish no good. Thanks!
Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this?   Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 3:34 pm

No worries, just wanted to clarify so others reading it are not confused by the mention of degrees.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this?   Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bunker shot -- Do you all encounter this?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2