Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Distracted by shadows

Go down 
+7
Slicer51
slinger
weesern
garfield
asahi
jimmychoo
wilkang
11 posters
AuthorMessage
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

Distracted by shadows Empty
PostSubject: Distracted by shadows   Distracted by shadows I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 5:11 pm

I have a bad habit of getting distracted by my shadow, especially on full shots.

Anyone have any ideas on overcoming this?? Or have similar problems??
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Distracted by shadows   Distracted by shadows I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 5:12 pm

Same here.....Sad
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Distracted by shadows   Distracted by shadows I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 5:14 pm

Same three, especially at MBGC range.
Back to top Go down
garfield
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
garfield

Location : Latitude: 1º22´ North of the Equator, Longitude: 103º48´ East of Greenwich

PostSubject: Re: Distracted by shadows   Distracted by shadows I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 5:15 pm

wilkang wrote:
I have a bad habit of getting distracted by my shadow, especially on full shots.

am offering a going-to-kena-hammer reply ie: shut your eyes lor. ROFL

on a serious note, i try to stare at that golf ball instead. Swing
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: Distracted by shadows   Distracted by shadows I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 5:16 pm

Everytime i will sure to chungkho a huge divot..lol
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Distracted by shadows   Distracted by shadows I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 5:17 pm

its all abt focus....
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: Distracted by shadows   Distracted by shadows I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 5:17 pm

Keeping eyes shut...hmmm...like a jedi training..Idea!!! Try at range first...hahahaha Swing
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Distracted by shadows   Distracted by shadows I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 5:21 pm

wilkang wrote:
Keeping eyes shut...hmmm...like a jedi training..Idea!!! Try at range first...hahahaha Swing

Ok. I will stay far far away if you try it tmr night.
lol!
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Distracted by shadows   Distracted by shadows I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 5:25 pm

Maybe clip a small torch light at our hat so that when we look at the ball, no shadow liao? sunny
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: Distracted by shadows   Distracted by shadows I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 5:38 pm

Or a really huge umbrella.. lol!
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Distracted by shadows   Distracted by shadows I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 5:40 pm

Cannot lah, obstruct back swing leh.... Exclamation
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: Distracted by shadows   Distracted by shadows I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 5:59 pm

Quote :
#

Basic Exercise:

# 1. Think of great full shots you've made over the years. Then choose the best one that you can remember vividly. We'll call this your "best full shot".

# 2. Close your eyes and visualize seeing yourself hitting your best full shot.

# 3. Close your eyes and imagine that you are actually on the golf course ( be there) making your best full shot.

Great! Now, on to the detailed exercise. Read it over a couple of times. Then go ahead and do it; reading one step and completing it, reading the next step and completing it, etc.

Detailed Exercise:

# (1) Again, think of your best full shot.

# (2) Close your eyes and imagine seeing yourself on a video tape hitting your best full shot.

(a) Pay attention to visual details; seeing the course and hole you are playing, time of day, whether conditions and, most important, your swing mechanics and tempo.

(b) Pay attention to auditory details; the sound of hitting the sweet spot as well as incidental sounds such as birds chirping, leaves rustling and so forth.

# (3) Close your eyes and imagine stepping into the video. That is, imagine being back on the golf course making your best full shot so that you can see your target, the flight of the ball, etc., tune directly it to surrounding sounds, and feel the grip of the driver or iron in your hand as well as your best full swing mechanics and tempo. Then, take a deep breath, hold to the count of three, and exhale slowly (a trigger). - Open your eyes for a fraction of a second. Repeat step (3) three times.

# (4) Close your eyes, take the same type of deep breath and imagine seeing yourself in the future, going through your preshot routine, setting up, seeing your shadow, and making a great full shot.

# (5) Close your eyes, take the same type of deep breath and imagine stepping into the future so that you can feel the grip of your driver or iron, see your shadow directly, see your target, see the ball, feel of your setup and the mechanics and tempo of your best full shot swing, hearing the sound of hitting the sweet spot and ending by seeing the trajectory of the ball which lands and rolls perfectly placed. - Open your eyes for a fraction of a second and repeat step (5) three times.

What will doing the detailed exercise a couple of days do for you?

# (i) Whether or not you see your shadow, you can take your deep breath to trigger being focused and have the swing mechanics and tempo that will support a great full swing.

# (ii) When you do see your shadow, you will automatically (without taking a deep breath) be focused and have the swing mechanics and tempo that will support a great full swing.

Guaranteed!!!

got this from scigolf website.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Distracted by shadows   Distracted by shadows I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 7:25 pm

vampire have no shadows......

Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Distracted by shadows   Distracted by shadows I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 9:17 pm

wilkang wrote:

WK,

It is not really a bad habit. It is more on mental thing.. I have the same problem, specially when the sun is behind me and my shadow on my ball ....

I have yet to find a resolution ... I just try to keep focus on the ball and to try not to take too long time in address ... swing and prayed ..... Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Distracted by shadows   Distracted by shadows I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 12:20 am

After long consideration and practice, I have come out a perfect solution!!!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
IF you are right handed, play left handed or vise versa. So shadow will never get in your way drunken
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Distracted by shadows   Distracted by shadows I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 9:57 pm

I used to have that problem when I was playing professionally and in South Florida the sun is always out and shadows are present quite a bit.

I learned over time that when my shadow was right in front of me I would have ball striking consistency issues. Either focusing on the shadow and not the ball, or my movement in the shadow, etc. Basically the issues was a lack of focus.

I tried to wear sunglasses (helped a little bit, but there was a depth perception issue for me), focus on only the ball, etc. The bottom line was I needed to go the range and hammer it out on my own. There was nothing anyone was going to say that was going to help me figure out my issue with the shadow. I needed to figure out why I was so focused on my shadow and not the ball or other swing ques.

Finally I learned to deal with it and it became less of a problem. I guess it is a learned thing. It eventually helped me with other shadows from fellow players, trees, etc.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Distracted by shadows   Distracted by shadows I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 10:06 pm

Dan

I had the same problem when I was in US.

Found putting thru shadows was a huge problem too. Reading break was very very difficult.

I just tried to take slighter longer to visualise the line then once I am certain, I go ahead with the putt before doubts creep in.

We don't have as much of a problem here in Singapore as the smog/haze seems to dampen out the effects of the sunrays.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Distracted by shadows   Distracted by shadows I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 9:07 am

I find that shadows are most distracting when I play night golf. I'm no longer able to read the break of the green (not that I was able to do so in the first place but this sure makes it harder).

But all in all, I don't find shadows a problem for morning/afternoon games. The glare isn't that bright and more often than not, I'm just glad to get the ball on the green.... I seem to forget that it needs to sink into the hole.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Distracted by shadows   Distracted by shadows I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 3:23 pm

I never really realised how bad the problem can be for some. I used to be bothered at one time too but somehow willed myself into focusing on the ball, the stroke, and the target, instead of on the shadow. I sort of remember telling myself that the shadow was out of my control and I had to somehow come to terms with it or block it out.

It's like how I don't notice the elephant in the room till someone points it out. Then it somehow always seems to be in the periphery of my vision. elephant
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: Distracted by shadows   Distracted by shadows I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 4:46 pm

I'm gonna try darker shades...else find ways to train up my mental strength.

Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Distracted by shadows   Distracted by shadows I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 6:11 pm

wilkang wrote:
I'm gonna try darker shades...else find ways to train up my mental strength.

Laughing Laughing

Darker shades? Then you better match it with a white cane. ROFL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Distracted by shadows   Distracted by shadows I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Distracted by shadows
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Tips & Tricks-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.