Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Largest speeding FINE

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
joleelyn

Largest speeding FINE Empty
PostSubject: Largest speeding FINE   Largest speeding FINE I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Swedish driver gets £650,000 speeding fine

A Swedish man has been handed a £650,000 speeding fine - believed to be the world's largest ever - while driving Switzerland.

Traffic police pulled the 37-year-old driver over on the A12 highway between Bern and Lausanne, when he was seen travelling at two and half times the speed limit in his £140,000 Mercedes-Benz SLS.

The speed limit on Switzerland's motorways is 74.5mph (120km/h). The Mercedes-Benz SLS supercar in which the Swedish driver was caught is capable of a 197mph maximum speed.

Prosecutors claim that he was caught driving at 186mph, the fastest anyone has ever been clocked for speeding in Switzerland.

He avoided being snapped by numerous speed traps as he was travelling at speeds in excess of 125mph, which is too fast for the cameras to function correctly.

The driver, who has not been named, claimed that the car had recently been fitted with a new speedometer, which was faulty.

Swiss speeding fines are calculated using a formula taking earnings into account leaving the man facing the highest possible penalty of 300 days worth of £2,166 daily fines - £650,000 in total.

Traffic police on the scene claimed that he needed over half a kilometre of road to stop the car.

link: http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/12082010/36/swedish-driver-gets-pound-650-000-speeding-fine-0.html
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

Largest speeding FINE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Largest speeding FINE   Largest speeding FINE I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 7:01 pm

From what I understand, the penalty under Swiss Law for speeding is based on the income that you earned. So if you earn more, it means that you can pay more. Thus, ultimately, they want to reduce the speeding incidences where it hurts the most.. the pocket.

In some stretches of road, you can see 3 speed cameras with a one-kilometer stretch....
Back to top Go down

Largest speeding FINE
Page 1 of 1