Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Too much back spin in drives?

Go down 
+12
Winston
solarpop
golf_snowman
Tituman
jimmychoo
asahi
Derek
ginn
alvin7379
Duval_S
4dtoto
golfcoma
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
golfcoma
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Too much back spin in drives? Empty
PostSubject: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 11:55 am

I noticed that most of my drives are pretty much all carry, actually negative carry since they usually spin backwards after landing. I do take regular lessons. My coach tells me not to worry about it for now but it sometimes bothers me especially when my drives spin backwards...

As for my driver, I'm using a PRGR 501 head (10.5 degrees) with ilima 60R shaft. I don't think the equipment has anything to do with my problem, but I'm listing in case someone asks.

Is anyone else having this issue, or do I really just suck that bad?

Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 11:57 am

What ball are you using ? I do have this problem too..
Back to top Go down
golfcoma
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 11:59 am

4dtoto wrote:
What ball are you using ? I do have this problem too..

I use a variety of balls, depending on what's on sale, haha. But typically, I try to stick with Bridgestone e6. I've also been using Nike PD soft as I got a couple of boxes as a gift.

Last edited by golfcoma on Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 12:00 pm

spin backwards...as in ' no roll ' ?
Back to top Go down
golfcoma
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 12:01 pm

Duval_S wrote:

Well, technically there is roll but it rolls backwards from where it lands.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 12:05 pm

Quote :
golfcoma wrote:
Duval_S wrote:

wow.....!!! that is new to me.....let hope the expert can advice.

mine is like a railway train...super roll....quite scary especially if water or bunker is in play.....I call mine 'headless' driving....
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 1:09 pm

golfcoma wrote:
I noticed that most of my drives are pretty much all carry, actually negative carry since they usually spin backwards after landing. I do take regular lessons. My coach tells me not to worry about it for now but it sometimes bothers me especially when my drives spin backwards...

As for my driver, I'm using a PRGR 501 head (10.5 degrees) with ilima 60R shaft. I don't think the equipment has anything to do with my problem, but I'm listing in case someone asks.

I have that sometimes... but I don't think it is backspin. I suspect it is more due to soft ground. The ground is usually too soft (after rain or poor drainage)... the ball hits the ground... cause a deep divot and was unable to bounce forward due to the soil created by the divot.

But because the ball was coming down with quite some force, it deflect against the wall of the divot and bounce backwards slightly lor...
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
ginn
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 1:21 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
golfcoma wrote:

I have that sometimes... but I don't think it is backspin. I suspect it is more due to soft ground. The ground is usually too soft (after rain or poor drainage)... the ball hits the ground... cause a deep divot and was unable to bounce forward due to the soil created by the divot.

But because the ball was coming down with quite some force, it deflect against the wall of the divot and bounce backwards slightly lor...

i agree with the soft gound that absorbs all the forward momentum... dont think it is possible to create a back spin with driver... i definitely cannot.. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 1:24 pm

The only time I've see a driver back spin was at screen golf when a friend of mine went completely under the ball, launched it straight up in the air, travelled about 90m then backspin 2m ....
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 1:32 pm

Instantaneous 1 jug on the house, Derek?
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 1:57 pm

I believe it is due to soft ground too....... Very Happy
Can go and try Horizone Hill on a sunny day to double confirm bounce
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 2:47 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
golfcoma wrote:
Duval_S wrote:

wow.....!!! that is new to me.....let hope the expert can advice.

mine is like a railway train...super roll....quite scary especially if water or bunker is in play.....I call mine 'headless' driving....

Bro your ball low boring tracjectory so you won't have this problem. Thats why your ball still have a lot of roll. My drive also spin back on the fairway. If my ball carry 200m, when it stopped, it will be lesser than 200m as it spun back 1 foot from where it landed. Can see the pitched mark very clearly. Unfortunately, that does not happen on the green... lol! My guess is that at impact, our wrist did not roll up and above the left wrist, thus it hit downwards imparting the backspin. If you rolled your wrist at impact, it will impart a top spin on the ball, thus it will run on the fairway. Thats my analysis anyway. 0.1 cent worth only.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 2:50 pm

Derek wrote:
The only time I've see a driver back spin was at screen golf when a friend of mine went completely under the ball, launched it straight up in the air, travelled about 90m then backspin 2m ....

Derek, 90 % of my drives spin backwards. Thats why I am still a *seasoned beginner*. And thats because my right wrist don't roll over the left at point of impact.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 2:53 pm

ginn wrote:
alvin7379 wrote:
golfcoma wrote:

i agree with the soft gound that absorbs all the forward momentum... dont think it is possible to create a back spin with driver... i definitely cannot.. Laughing

Think you are wrong there bro. When you hit down with your driver, which is my case, the ball back spin during its flight. Of course you do spin your ball with the driver. Otherwise asked yourself why some people sliced? It is because of the side spin effect that the slice or hook comes about.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 2:58 pm

hey Bro Titu,

Now with the new shaft, my trajectory not so low liao......yipppppeeeee

and more carry.......yipppeeeeeee

but still 1st to hit 2nd shot.........sian
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 3:00 pm

Tituman wrote:
Derek wrote:

Derek, 90 % of my drives spin backwards. Thats why I am still a *seasoned beginner*. And thats because my right wrist don't roll over the left at point of impact.

Wow ... learn something new every day.

Bro Titu, your understanding is that because you striking down on the ball (sort of like a long iron stroke) it is causing the backspin?

I might want to give that a try just to see what happens, would be a useful shot to have in the bag.
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 3:14 pm

Tituman wrote:

Think you are wrong there bro. When you hit down with your driver, which is my case, the ball back spin during its flight. Of course you do spin your ball with the driver. Otherwise asked yourself why some people sliced? It is because of the side spin effect that the slice or hook comes about.

Interesting theory... try catching the impact during the upswing instead of the downswing... maybe that would help?

Spinning of the ball for driver yes... but to generate enough spin on the ball to resist the forward momentum of a driver and causes backspin upon landing... may be asking abit too much of the ball... Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 3:17 pm

haha..next time can use driver for chipping liao...landed and back spin...haha !!!
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 3:19 pm

Okay.. let's clear things up abit here. A proper drive will ALWAYS have backspin. Hitting the ball with forward spin will cause it to dive to the ground, and is something you never want to do.

It is entirely possible that you're imparting too much backspin to the ball - due to swing and/or equipment. It is also quite likely that your ball flight is way high.

Higher lofts on driver head = more backspin
'ilima = high launch shaft

Without really changing your swing, the following may help lower spin: tee higher, and set up with the ball more to the left (for a right handed golfer).

Try to get yourself on a launch monitor if you have the chance. If you are getting excess of 3500rpm on your drives it's quite bad and will most probably mean it's a swing issue more than anything.

Hope this helps..
Back to top Go down
ginn
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 3:27 pm

seriously... can one really create so much back spin with a driver that causes the ball to actually spin back after landing?? i can't even do it with a wedge... but then again, i may be a bad golfer.....
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 3:40 pm

HAve just recently experience it myself recently. fairway soft because rained the night before. But developers cut cost so only have thin layer of grass. Ball hit fairway, took HUGE ASS pitch mark and bounce back about 1 foot.
Back to top Go down
ginn
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 4:08 pm

Winston wrote:
HAve just recently experience it myself recently. fairway soft because rained the night before. But developers cut cost so only have thin layer of grass. Ball hit fairway, took HUGE ASS pitch mark and bounce back about 1 foot.

Don't think that is back spin...
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 4:20 pm

ginn wrote:
Winston wrote:

Don't think that is back spin...

Oooppssss...was suppose to quote and reply to Alvin's post.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 4:43 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
haha..next time can use driver for chipping liao...landed and back spin...haha !!!

Bro, that don't sound funny. Not one bit Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 4:49 pm

Too much backspin is better than too much side spin aka slice/hook hehehe...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Too much back spin in drives?   Too much back spin in drives? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Too much back spin in drives?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next