Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

hi to all

Go down 
+4
kg7068
Duval_S
mysticsea
waadee
8 posters
AuthorMessage
waadee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

hi to all Empty
PostSubject: hi to all   hi to all I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 9:49 am

hi sg golfers... very new to the game... playing recreational golf. hope u guys can recommend me a gd golf set configuration for me. iam 30yrs old male... i hit a number 7 sgi iron abt average 75m.
Back to top Go down
mysticsea
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mysticsea

hi to all Empty
PostSubject: Re: hi to all   hi to all I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 10:36 am

hi hi... welcome... fm ur intro v hard to tell leh... u might wanna hit a few clubs first b4 u decide... cheers
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

hi to all Empty
PostSubject: Re: hi to all   hi to all I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 12:20 pm

Lets see.

you are male => Men's clubs
you are 30 => Prime age....that means stiff flex
you are new => that means need forgiving clubs....ie no blades (IMHO only)
you asking for config => buy in parts...ie Buy Driver, Buy irons, Buy a putter and a bag. If can throw in one hybrid

Lastly, tell you a secret which I hoped someone had told me many moons ago.....which is ' don worry too much about clubs , spend more time getting a coach'........

Back to top Go down
waadee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

hi to all Empty
PostSubject: Re: hi to all   hi to all I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 4:46 pm

tanks fer the tips
Back to top Go down
kg7068
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

hi to all Empty
PostSubject: Re: hi to all   hi to all I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 7:51 pm

Hi Waadee, jus to share with u I began playing abt 2 yrs ago. Been buying iron set, change, buy again. Speaking frm experience, if u can only hit a 7 iron for 75m, u r not ready. Invest in a mid-range forgiving set (like Bridgestone J36 pocket cavity, Mizuno MP52, Tm R9 -these 3 sets I used before) preferably using NSPRO or KBS regular steel shaft and start practising. U will see ur swing and hit rate improve after a while. No point buying a $200 - $300 set like Slazenger, dunlop bcos u will change iron set when ur swing get better.

Lately I began to realise that it is not the club heads (iron or woods) u shld invest, it is the shafts. U shld be searching for a suitable brand and specs (reg/stiff, steel/graphite, weight 95. 105, 110, 120grams, etc). With a suitable shaft, u will be able to score gd hit rate. FOr iron/wood club head, it is which brand and materials u like.

As for putters, u may spend more to find which brands/model, balancing , neck (double bend, plumber, straight, centre shafted, etc suit u. I suggest u go for mallet putter. Easier to handle than blades.
Back to top Go down
waadee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

hi to all Empty
PostSubject: Re: hi to all   hi to all I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 8:05 pm

iam not concern abt the brands of clubs but the configuration. as in sud i be carrying more hybrids or wad loft sud i be using....
Back to top Go down
kg7068
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

hi to all Empty
PostSubject: Re: hi to all   hi to all I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 8:14 pm

Jus as a guide - I play TM hybrids now.

25 deg - 160m, 22 deg 170m, 19 deg 180, 16 deg 190++, 15 deg 190+++ depending on how the balls lie. with 4 hybrids, I put aside my 3,4,5 irons, I carry 6-P irons and a 52deg & 56 deg wedge and a branded milled putter.

A standard set of fairway woods in bag shld be - 18deg (5 wood), 15 deg (3 wood) and u may get a 21 deg (7 wood)

Driver (9.5, 10.5 or 11 degree) - u shld try first b4 buying.

Brands - Cheap brands always come with lousy shafts. Therefore, u must be concern with brands.

Back to top Go down
waadee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

hi to all Empty
PostSubject: Re: hi to all   hi to all I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 2:48 pm

kg7068 wrote:

25 deg - 160m, 22 deg 170m, 19 deg 180, 16 deg 190++, 15 deg 190+++ depending on how the balls lie. with 4 hybrids, I put aside my 3,4,5 irons, I carry 6-P irons and a 52deg & 56 deg wedge and a branded milled putter.

A standard set of fairway woods in bag shld be - 18deg (5 wood), 15 deg (3 wood) and u may get a 21 deg (7 wood)

Brands - Cheap brands always come with lousy shafts. Therefore, u must be concern with brands.

yes dis is the ans iam actually looking for... tanks alot...
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

hi to all Empty
PostSubject: Re: hi to all   hi to all I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 3:06 pm

waadee wrote:
iam not concern abt the brands of clubs but the configuration. as in sud i be carrying more hybrids or wad loft sud i be using....

Ok, to be perfectly honest with you and hope you do not take offence, at your current stage, you should be looking at working on your swing and not at what types of clubs you should be playing. 7 iron to 75m is not good enough. 75m average is a G wedge range.

As you get more comfortable with the game and know your limits and requirements on the green, then you look back into your equipment and make the change.

One that works for another, does not mean it will work for you, and only after constant practicing, and hitting the green.. you will know what you need, and require. The worse things a beginner should do is to actually go into equipment buying spree... its not good for your wallet.
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

hi to all Empty
PostSubject: Re: hi to all   hi to all I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 3:09 pm

kg7068 wrote:

Bro.. only 14 clubs in the bag. So choose wisely.
Back to top Go down
waadee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

hi to all Empty
PostSubject: Re: hi to all   hi to all I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 11:57 am

i noe i hav poor swing techniques n iam working on it... tank u for the generous replies... j
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

hi to all Empty
PostSubject: Re: hi to all   hi to all I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 3:45 pm

Hi Waadee,

Welcome to the game. Speaking from my own experience, hybrids are a good thing. And if you do buy 1 now, and still can't hit it, just keep trying, you will be able to sooner than you think (or at least a whole lot sooner than a 3 iron or 3 wood).

A nice hybrid to start with would have about 23-26 degrees of loft, depending on manufacturer, usually it is a 5 hybrid, sometimes a 4.

Even for hybrids, there are more forgiving and less forgiving. My recommendation is the more forgiving ones. You can find some good deals second hand in here or at various 2nd hand golf shops. As KG mentions, shaft is important, so do not get anything too stiff for you. I use Taylor Made but that is because of the GN sale some time back, however, I am still very happy with them.

As a beginner, refrain from spending too much at the start (resist the temptation) on equipment as you might not know what you really wnat. Instead, spend the money on 1-1 lessons with a good coach, take the time to practice, and you will be amazed how quickly you can improve.

My 2 cents.

Derek
Back to top Go down
Jacqcampbell
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

hi to all Empty
PostSubject: Re: hi to all   hi to all I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 9:25 pm

hi hi welcome... Smile
Back to top Go down
hardrock
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
hardrock

hi to all Empty
PostSubject: Re: hi to all   hi to all I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 10:26 pm

welcome.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

hi to all Empty
PostSubject: Re: hi to all   hi to all I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

hi to all
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Welcome to Golf Republic Forum :: Self Introduction-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.