Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

It worked for Tiger, it can work for you too!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
punkrockpga
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

It worked for Tiger, it can work for you too! Empty
PostSubject: It worked for Tiger, it can work for you too!   It worked for Tiger, it can work for you too! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 7:19 pm

Tiger woods was a 2 hdcp at the age of 11.
This is how Tiger Woods said that he learned to break par.

Of course when he was a very small child he simply could not hit the ball far enough to get on to the greens in regulation. This meant that standard par (green in regulation + 2 putts) was just not realistic for little Tiger. So, his father would determine how many shots it would realistically take for Tiger to reach the green, add 2 putts and that was his par. As Tiger grew stronger and learned how to play the holes consistently in "Par" or better, his father would lower the par on that hole by one stroke.

I love this concept and I think that it could make the game much easier for most high handicap golfers.

Most high handicap golfers judge their performance on a hole according to par, even though it is simply unrealistic to achieve this on a regular basis. For the high handicap golfer, making par will usually require a miracle shot of some sort, like holing a bomb of a putt, or getting lucky to catch that 3 wood just perfect to roll up beside the pin and overcoming the nerves to squeak it in for par. However, far too often that miracle 3 wood or attempted miracle shot turns out to be a disaster and then BANG!!! Triple Bogey. Sound familiar anyone?

If you are a high handicap golfer, and you want to make the game a little easier, and you want to eliminate that one shot that goes BANG!!! Triple bogey (or worse), try this.

If it is a course that you are familiar with, plan ahead (remember to be realistic and if you think you might be close, give yourself that extra shot anyway) and determine how many shots it should take you to reach the green without a miracle shot. Add 2 putts to determine your own personal par, and learn to play the hole accordingly.

Play to expectations that are realistic to your ability and learn how to manage your own game.

Sometimes it is as simple as turning that miracle 3 wood into two short iron shots and eliminating a whole bunch of risk.

Break your own personal par, then lower it, and move on to the next challenge.

Try it!

Good Golfing!
Back to top Go down
http://www.bradfordprogolf.com
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: It worked for Tiger, it can work for you too!   It worked for Tiger, it can work for you too! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 7:31 pm

Great idea. Similarly, my training was such to eliminate triple bogeys from my 18 holes scores 1st, then move on to only allowing 4 double bogeys for 18 holes to 2 double bogeys. Then I moved to aiming for bogeys or better for all holes till my current game plan of 4-5 pars with all other bogeys.

Along the way, I added the aim of allowing max 2 putts for all holes.
This method of managing self expectation and course management works! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: It worked for Tiger, it can work for you too!   It worked for Tiger, it can work for you too! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 8:28 pm

Thanks....I will give it a try this sat......number 100....here I come
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: It worked for Tiger, it can work for you too!   It worked for Tiger, it can work for you too! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 8:46 pm

Now, my personal target is

1. Aim for bogey (Don always be hero)
2. try not to 3 putt
3. Try not to do 5cm chips.
4. Straight shots, not as far as flightmate, nvm. (if ball flight and striking is damn bad, take down note and work on it)
5. Avoid all hazards (I always tell myself, 'this is not Sentosa Tanjong beach')

Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: It worked for Tiger, it can work for you too!   It worked for Tiger, it can work for you too! I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 10:23 pm

Great advice Beer Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
punkrockpga
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: It worked for Tiger, it can work for you too!   It worked for Tiger, it can work for you too! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 10:17 am

Some of my students have serious improvements using this idea.
It takes away a lot of the pressure that many golfers put on themselves.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bradfordprogolf.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It worked for Tiger, it can work for you too!   It worked for Tiger, it can work for you too! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It worked for Tiger, it can work for you too!
Page 1 of 1