Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cannot Fly

Go down 
+4
Duval_S
Birdman
eiji
travelsnapper
8 posters
AuthorMessage
travelsnapper
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Cannot Fly  Empty
PostSubject: Cannot Fly    Cannot Fly  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:29 am

hi,

New in golf. Trying out in the driving range only.

When i hit the ball, it doesn't "fly" up.
It sort of got driven out on a "horizonal plane" (and soon reach the ground ofcoz ;p)

what went wrong??... when i look around, seems to be able to get the ball to fly .

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

Cannot Fly  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cannot Fly    Cannot Fly  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:33 am

see a coach and get proper lessons.

And u need to learn to hit down at the ball.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
travelsnapper
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Cannot Fly  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cannot Fly    Cannot Fly  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:57 am

yea... but cant wait to find out before getting to meet him in 2 weeks time..

errr btw, what mean by " hitting the ball down"
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Cannot Fly  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cannot Fly    Cannot Fly  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 1:39 am

Golf is a game of opposites, to get the ball to fly up, you must hit down on the ball.

To over simplify it, must drive the iron into the back of the ball first, then into the ground.

Feel like you are deliberately trying to hit the ball into the mat.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Cannot Fly  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cannot Fly    Cannot Fly  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 8:53 am

The ability to embrace ones's shots is something that I had worked on thru the past many months.

On certain days, I execute my 4k shot (better known as ki-ki-kok-kok) on the golf course and I must say, I marvel with the results. the beauty of this shot is that I have no idea it will be such, some may call it surprise but I call it accidental shot making

so what is a 4K shot........In Golf-kipedia, this is a shot which requires certain level of thickness in yor facial skin....it occurs when I overswing and at downswing, the contact is just above the upper half of the ball....which I term as precision shot execution....the result, the ball will travel very near to the ground level (note - there are times when my flight mates cant even see the ball because they were looking up).

Thanks....
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

Cannot Fly  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cannot Fly    Cannot Fly  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 9:44 am

travelsnapper wrote:
hi,

It sort of got driven out on a "horizonal plane" (and soon reach the ground ofcoz ;p)

what went wrong??... when i look around, seems to be able to get the ball to fly .

Thanks in advance!

I think you might have "top" your ball. "Top" in golf mean that you did not hit actually at the ball but rather only half of the ball during the impact. What made the ball fly is the loft of the club (loft referring the the angle of every different club .. bigger the number like iron 9, 8,.. etc higher the ball fly).

As everyone had explained. you do not try to lift the ball to get it fly but just hit down at the ball and the loft will get the ball to fly ...

Now, go to see your coach and do not listen to me Cool
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

Cannot Fly  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cannot Fly    Cannot Fly  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 10:27 am

travelsnapper wrote:
hi,

Thanks in advance!

haha...seems like you have encountered the same problem all golfers have when they first start but few will admit and even fewer will have the courage to post it in the forum.

Dun worry lah. after some coaching and much much more practising, your ball will fly if you hang in there.
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

Cannot Fly  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cannot Fly    Cannot Fly  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 10:28 am

Birdman wrote:
Golf is a game of opposites,

I agree. If I chiong and use long irons and woods, my score goes up. If i play conservative and use only clubs I am confident with, my score becomes better.

Also if I spend more money and keep changing clubs, I play worse but if I save money and get used to my current clubs, I play better.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

Cannot Fly  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cannot Fly    Cannot Fly  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 10:30 am

the golf ball fly because of spin. There are dimples that create a lift when the ball is spinning. In order for the ball to fly and stay afloat, you need to hit downwards so that the ball spins.

If you hit the ball at the top portion, it will have too little spin(backspin) or no spin at all (maybe even topspin). Then your ball will not fly.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

Cannot Fly  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cannot Fly    Cannot Fly  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 11:07 am

when you top the ball, most of the time the leading edge of the club contacts the ball close to the equator or maybe above.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Cannot Fly  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cannot Fly    Cannot Fly  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 11:14 am

Quote :
weesern wrote:
when you top the ball, most of the time the leading edge of the club contacts the ball close to the equator or maybe above.

exactly...that is a key obsevation when I execute the 4K shot
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

Cannot Fly  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cannot Fly    Cannot Fly  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 11:24 am

sunny wrote:
the golf ball fly because of spin. There are dimples that create a lift when the ball is spinning. In order for the ball to fly and stay afloat, you need to hit downwards so that the ball spins.

If you hit the ball at the top portion, it will have too little spin(backspin) or no spin at all (maybe even topspin). Then your ball will not fly.

What spin, bro ? you are killing him with such knowledge ...Heeee Just kidding bro lol! Peace
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cannot Fly  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cannot Fly    Cannot Fly  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cannot Fly
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Ask The Pro-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.