Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover

Go down 
+2
bugaboo
golfkaki
6 posters
AuthorMessage
golfkaki
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golfkaki

Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover Empty
PostSubject: Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover   Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 12:29 pm

I do not know whether this is the right folder to post... (mod pls move it to appropriate folder if i am wrong - tks)

How many of us had a punctured or torn cover???? I guess too many to mentioned. How many of us changed to a new bag when this happened? Many, I think... sad but true

So I was wondering anyone here know where / who can fabricate or how to fabricate ( I have seen those transparent covers - and hopefully can be custom made) the cover.

Any inputs will b very much appreciated...

Cheers Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
bugaboo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover   Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 12:49 pm

do u think can buy some material, and those snap on rivet/button that fit your bag, and ask your local hdb tailor to tailor one top cover for u? might not be worth the cost in the end. cost of material + labor. i think around 40-50 for material + labor.
Back to top Go down
ditt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
ditt

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover   Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 12:52 pm

I have a few golf bags that were sitting around for so long the rain hood (top cover) just went missing. It's impossible to order a replacement and even if you do, it'll probably cost an arm and a leg only for you to find out the rest of the bag is falling apart when you finally get the rain hood replaced.

I decided to make one. So I went shopping at Spotlight (the fabric mart at Plaza Singapura) and found out the have waterproof material used to make rain coats. Bought a few meters of black fabric and some colorful fabric. Used the colorful fabric under the black fabric since my bag is black. When I open up the rain hood, it adds some color to the whole bag. Nice. Kinda like getting neon yellow trim inside a Richard James suit.

Then I went home and made a mock up out of paper and some drawing block. After making sure it all fits, I added 1 inch to all my measurements and made another mock up.

Then using the 2nd mock up, I started cutting the fabric. Put it all together with a $299 sewing machine from Singer. I got a relative to punch the snaps for me, but I found out a decent cobbler can also do it and probably has many different size snaps that you can choose from.

First attemt was a complete failure due to lack of patience and not enough allowance for the stitchings. 2nd attempt is pretty good. I like it and I get a pretty good sense of accomplishment.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Ridox
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover   Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 4:12 pm

I'm interested too, as my current bag's cover is transparent and i don't really like it. Do you mind showing some photos of your end product? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
ditt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
ditt

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover   Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 4:26 pm

yikes. That particular bag is in china now. I was looking for a bag for a secondary set to leave in China as I travel there quite frequently. Thats when I found the top cover missing. made one as a mini project and then left the bag in China. Sorry.

Dan
Back to top Go down
golfkaki
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golfkaki

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover   Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 8:10 pm

cool, Dan, that's kinda give me some inspiration to made 1 myself... don mind sharing what's the damages (i mean cost)
Back to top Go down
ditt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
ditt

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover   Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 9:46 am

The fabric or material was about $7/ meter. I bought 3 meters worth because I knew I would mess up on the first try. The zipper was a bit ex, about $16 / meter and I had to sweet talk the lady into giving me 2 zippers heads.

The stitiching or sewing cost, I can't say because I bought a sewing machine and did the stitching with the help of my mother and some other relatives. Sounds a bit overkill to buy the sewing machine but I tell you, it was actually fun shopping for it and I almost splurged more than $500 on a really cool one. Anyways, that simple sewing machine is used in the house for simple repairs and we needed one so it was quite worth it.

The button snaps, I had a relative help me to do, but I think you can do it a good cobbler for about $5 each.

Total cost was less than $50 not counting the sewing machine.

Dan
Back to top Go down
babusk
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
babusk

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover   Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 12:29 pm

Dan,

Here's another mini-project idea for you to increase your fanbase Smile

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Stewart-Cink-s-tweet-covered-bag-brings-Twitter-?urn=golf,256213

Back to top Go down
ditt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
ditt

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover   Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi. Sorry. Not a fan of Cink at all and also, it looks kinda lame with all that mumbo jumbo on the bag. If I was the winner of the Claret Jug, well, I suppose it might be nice to have those kinda comments on my bag.

Otherwise, Tweeter or FB comments range from boring to "Really, who gives a hoot what you're doing at every moment?"

I am gonna try headcovers tho. Haha.

Dan
Back to top Go down
hardrock
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
hardrock

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover   Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 4:43 pm

i also looking for such services around
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover   Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fabricating / customise Golfbag top Cover
Page 1 of 1