Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

at address, what is the weight on both feet?

Go down 
+15
aural
riverdeity
Right_sided_coach
skybobo
PinkPanther
Balata
weesern
mysticsea
Ssquirrel
Duval_S
Winston
Gray
golf_snowman
nientsu
Lion Iron
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lion Iron
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lion Iron

at address, what is the weight on both feet? Empty
PostSubject: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 1:36 pm

Getting a bit confuse on setting up for iron and driver. Where should be the weight and % be on both feet at address? For example, for iron I thought it is 60% on left foot and 40% on right at address. For driver, it’s reverse 40/60 left/right. However, someone told me 50/50 regardless of club.

Hope to hear some advice from pro and what works from personal experience.
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 2:16 pm

Is thus the lion from the old forum?? Reg ur qn, I am no expert myself. But i think there is no hard and fast rule on this. Also it depends on way swing method u are using. Best is to consult a coach. He will tell u way is best bast on the coaches philosophy
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 2:17 pm

i was taught below :

weight (left/right)

Driver : 40/60
Iron : 50/50
wedge : 60/40
chipping : 70/30

but i believe there are different class of teaching as well. If you are learning from a pro, stick to his advise.
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 2:32 pm

this is the question that is banging my head for the longest time and the weight placement makes a HUGE difference to the outcome of the swing.

I have tried many combinations but so far this is what works best for me

Iron: 50/50
Driver: 30/70
woods: 40/60
wedges: 50/50 for high shots
wedges: 30/70 for chip and run

but that being said, dont listen to me. I play badly.
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 2:33 pm

in fact, i play so badly that I am curious to hear what the expert golfers say in this forum. rabbit
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 2:35 pm

eeerrrmmm...for me its 50-50 regardless of club being used on an even lie / tee box.

Even for chipping and pitching, my instructor taught me to place weight 50-50. Most important thing, listen to your coach. Dont confuse yourself.
Back to top Go down
Lion Iron
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lion Iron

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 2:40 pm

nientsu wrote:
Is thus the lion from the old forum??

Different lion. lol!
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 2:43 pm

hehe. you see my avatar?

the first picture is me, the second one is my coach, the 3rd one is my caddy and the forth is my best golfing partner. hahaha Beer
Back to top Go down
Lion Iron
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lion Iron

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 2:49 pm

Gray wrote:
this is the question that is banging my head for the longest time and the weight placement makes a HUGE difference to the outcome of the swing.

I have tried many combinations but so far this is what works best for me

Iron: 50/50
Driver: 30/70
woods: 40/60
wedges: 50/50 for high shots
wedges: 30/70 for chip and run

but that being said, dont listen to me. I play badly.

I suspect my swing path is partly due to feet weight, among other imperfects. That's what I'm trying to figure out and trying to gather inputs.

Also, side question. If 70% on right feet the right shoulder will be lower than left shoulder, and it is normal right?
Back to top Go down
Lion Iron
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lion Iron

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 2:55 pm

Gray wrote:
hehe. you see my avatar?

the first picture is me, the second one is my coach, the 3rd one is my caddy and the forth is my best golfing partner. hahaha Beer

you guys sure can share the same polo-T. bet it has a nic perfume smell. affraid

Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 2:55 pm

I am now putting more on my left leg...like 59% vs. 41%
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 3:21 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Hmm.. depends how it's hanging that day... if wearing boxers, usually like 55% more towards left feet, 45% right..
If briefs, usually start off 50/50, but by the 6-7th hole, probably go back 55/45 biased towards left feet...
If SKINS, then usually 50/50 for 18 holes... albino
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 3:23 pm

Lion Iron wrote:

Also, side question. If 70% on right feet the right shoulder will be lower than left shoulder, and it is normal right?

right shoulder lower than left shoulder is normal cos your right hand has to hold the shaft lower than the left hand.

Other things I dare not comment. I also waiting for others to post so that I can learn from them too.
Back to top Go down
mysticsea
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mysticsea

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 3:25 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
Duval_S wrote:
Hmm.. depends how it's hanging that day... if wearing boxers, usually like 55% more towards left feet, 45% right..
If briefs, usually start off 50/50, but by the 6-7th hole, probably go back 55/45 biased towards left feet...

ROFL weggies then jialat liao...
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 3:49 pm

it depends on the type of shots as well
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 3:57 pm

Quote :
Ssquirrel wrote:
Duval_S wrote:

wah piang....somebody been peeping at me
Back to top Go down
Balata
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Balata

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 4:44 pm

Gray wrote:
in fact, i play so badly that I am curious to hear what the expert golfers say in this forum. rabbit

As a professional, i will place 60gram of weight on my left and 45gm for right.....slap slap....Serously..........for irons shots more weight on left.As for driver, right leg will get more...

Buzz...
Back to top Go down
PinkPanther
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
PinkPanther

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 4:49 pm

its 50/50 for Irons.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 4:51 pm

The percentage of weight on both feet (IMHO) is not as impt as where u should place your weight. That means the weight should be at the balls of your feet and not too much on heels nor too much on toe.

Too much on toe is disastrous as anytime you will just fall off your posture. One of the reason for an out to in swing path (which will likely cause a slice) is pushing off the right feet at the beginning of downswing.....this causes the right shoulder to come out and forward and hence the club head as well.

Ideally at downswing, your right feet should roll inwards (or leftward). Look at Ernie Els, he is a perfect example. If you are able to achieve a impact postion with right feet still very much firmly on the ground, you will likely be a very good ball striker.

Once again, this is just my personal opinion from self discovering my swing. Have yet to confirm with my coach.....try at your own risk Smile
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 9:57 pm

Putting a percentage on weight at different parts of the swing is not something I would encourage a student to undertake. Firstly unless you have a set of scales under your feet to measure this percentage, how is one to know what percentages they have at certain parts of the swing?
Secondly what Golfer A feels is 50% may be 60% for Golfer B. I would be more inclined to go by what the shape of the body and the swing looks like. A look is something that is not subjective where a feeling is something that can vary from one golfer to the next. This is evident by the varying answers you have all responded with
Once the golfer then sees what it looks like when in the correct position, he/she can then call it whatever they like based on what they personally feel. If the golfer thinks it feels like 50 or 60% then that is what they call it. The next golfer may feel the percentage is different but as long as the look is correct then it is irrelevant.
The other thing to consider is what weight are we talking about??? The body has two weights, the Top and Bottom half. This needs to be clarified because the Top half of the body being 40% on the left will look completely different to the bottom half being 40% on the left. Golf is all about counter balance so getting the top and bottom halves of the body in the correct positions is more important than the percentages

Back to top Go down
riverdeity
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
riverdeity

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 12:07 pm

for iron shots when u lean forward. are we supposed to be tilting a little bit to the left? i keep doing it and my friend pointed t out saying it is wrong.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 12:35 pm

the sum of both should be equal to yor weight ...I think

Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 12:53 pm

Duval_S wrote:
the sum of both should be equal to yor weight ...I think

Lol, not equal means we are floating. affraid
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 3:20 pm

Just my 2 cents worth ...

The only time I really get conscious about my lower body is when I am in the bunker.

I sort of realised that if i shift around too much, it usually results in poor contact (normally too far behind the ball), so I try and keep my lower body a bit more quiet and take a slightly less full turn. Feeling planted works well for me, although I have seen some professionals (on golf channel) advocate all weight of the front foot.

Food for thought ... is the weight distribution at address important or the weight distribution at impact more important or neither ????

Food for thought 2 ... do we really get back to the IDENTICAL position as setup when we impcat the ball???
Back to top Go down
botak
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
botak

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 4:12 pm

Ya, I tend to notice most pros now have an address stance that's more like those pics posted by RSS i.e. more like a forward lean.

As for the setup @ impact, my study of pro's swing sequences show that it's not identical to initial set up. At impact, the hips would have cleared and weight shifted forward. Hands at impact also show more forward lean compared to address position.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: at address, what is the weight on both feet?   at address, what is the weight on both feet? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

at address, what is the weight on both feet?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next