Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Betting is good for golf

Go down 
+8
aural
vingay32
slinger
Tammie
alvin7379
wilkang
asahi
eden
12 posters
AuthorMessage
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

Betting is good for golf Empty
PostSubject: Betting is good for golf   Betting is good for golf I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 11:07 am

Lee and Gary head out to the golf course for a quick nine holes. On the first tee, Lee turns to Gary and says, "What do you say we make this time worth something. Play you for $5?" Gary agrees, and they start their rounds.

It's a great game, and the two lifelong friends reach the No. 9 tee box with Gary ahead by one stroke. After Lee hits a great drive, right down the middle, Gary steps up and promptly hooks a ball into deep rough and trees.

"C'mon," Gary says to Lee, "help me find my ball. I'll look in this patch of trees, and you look around over there."

They look and look and look, but no ball can be found. The five-minute time limit on searching for lost balls is about to run out. Gary gets desparate. He gives a quick glance over to Lee to see if he is looking, then swiftly reaches into his pocket and drops a new ball into the rough.

"Found my ball!" Gary shouts out triumphantly.

Lee looks at his friend with great disappointment. "After all the years we've been friends," Lee says, "you'd cheat me at golf for a measly five bucks?"

"What do you mean cheat?" Gary asks indignantly. "I found my ball sitting right here!"

Lee lets out a heavy sigh. "And you'd lie to me, too? All for a tiny little sum of money? You'd cheat me and lie to me, for what? For five bucks? I can't believe you'd stoop so low."

"Well what makes you so sure I'm cheating and lying, anyway?" Gary asks.

"Because," Lee replies, "I've been standing on your ball for the last five minutes!"
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Betting is good for golf   Betting is good for golf I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 11:27 am

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: Betting is good for golf   Betting is good for golf I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 11:31 am

Betting is good for golf Lol Betting is good for golf Lol
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Betting is good for golf   Betting is good for golf I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 12:01 pm

Sounds like a plan for my Sunday game.... bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
Tammie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Tammie

PostSubject: Re: Betting is good for golf   Betting is good for golf I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 12:12 pm

Haha.. So morole of the story?? always look for lost ball by yrself.. =P

Beer
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Betting is good for golf   Betting is good for golf I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 12:14 pm

Tammie wrote:

Beer

or ever so "willing" to look for your opponents ball.....
Back to top Go down
vingay32
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
vingay32

PostSubject: Re: Betting is good for golf   Betting is good for golf I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 12:18 pm

we need to have golf ethics.....
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: Betting is good for golf   Betting is good for golf I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 12:04 pm

btw, the friend found the ball but hid it from him for 5min means he is trying to cheat?
New to golf so not sure abt this also. lol..
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Betting is good for golf   Betting is good for golf I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 12:25 pm

It can be both way... either he himself is trying to cheat or he is testing his friend...

I heard that we can only look for our ball for 5 mins... is that a rule or only ethiquete?
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Betting is good for golf   Betting is good for golf I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 12:31 pm

Rule or etiquette, one thing for sure is, 1 ball from flight behind sure to come flying if spend more than 5 min. rabbit
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Betting is good for golf   Betting is good for golf I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 12:52 pm

taskie wrote:
It can be both way... either he himself is trying to cheat or he is testing his friend...

I heard that we can only look for our ball for 5 mins... is that a rule or only ethiquete?

Yes, it is under the rule 27-1c Ball not found within five minutes .. will be under penalty of one stroke.

You might be correct that he is testing his friend but if just for testing better, better do it within 5 minutes .. Maybe 4 min and 59 sec and call out " I found your ball " if not your friend need to take one stroke penalty Laughing
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Betting is good for golf   Betting is good for golf I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 12:58 pm

asahi wrote:
Rule or etiquette, one thing for sure is, 1 ball from flight behind sure to come flying if spend more than 5 min. rabbit

You properly correct but how many of us will check the time 1st before we start looking for our ball ? I always forget to do it but just keep looking and looking Laughing

Next I will bring a stop watch rather than my GSP .. since I am always looking for the ball because Indonesia fairway glass were rather long Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Betting is good for golf   Betting is good for golf I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 1:02 pm

Tammie wrote:

Beer

No, the morole of the story is to learn to hit our shot straight and than we do not have this joke anymore Laughing .. Just kidding Beer
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Betting is good for golf   Betting is good for golf I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 1:19 pm

Hi, Slicer51..

A bit off topic. In Indonesia, I often found that if our ball is in fairway, we can pick up and clean our balls like when we are in green. Is it true in Surabaya too?
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Betting is good for golf   Betting is good for golf I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 1:26 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
taskie wrote:

Yes, it is under the rule 27-1c Ball not found within five minutes .. will be under penalty of one stroke.

You might be correct that he is testing his friend but if just for testing better, better do it within 5 minutes .. Maybe 4 min and 59 sec and call out " I found your ball " if not your friend need to take one stroke penalty Laughing

one stroke....AND distance
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Betting is good for golf   Betting is good for golf I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 1:28 pm

taskie, that sounds like winter rule. Local rule, depend on the club.

I remember this rule was effected at last Barclays Spore Open.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Betting is good for golf   Betting is good for golf I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 2:57 pm

taskie wrote:
Hi, Slicer51..

A bit off topic. In Indonesia, I often found that if our ball is in fairway, we can pick up and clean our balls like when we are in green. Is it true in Surabaya too?

Yes, rather off topic. Sorry eden

Not really, unless the ball is EMBEDDED. "Most" local rule here allow embedded ball in any closely-mown area through the green may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty.

It good to check thee local rule on the score card specially when you are betting with friends. Friendly game, just kick the ball to another place if you do not like the original lay Heeee (just kidding, I never do that .. Cheating is not in my game and i do not play with player that cheat too ) Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: Betting is good for golf   Betting is good for golf I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 10:09 pm

hehe. I do that sometimes.
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

PostSubject: Re: Betting is good for golf   Betting is good for golf I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 am

Slicer51 wrote:
Yes, rather off topic. Sorry eden

Not really, unless the ball is EMBEDDED. "Most" local rule here allow embedded ball in any closely-mown area through the green may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty.

It good to check thee local rule on the score card specially when you are betting with friends. Friendly game, just kick the ball to another place if you do not like the original lay Heeee (just kidding, I never do that .. Cheating is not in my game and i do not play with player that cheat too ) Laughing Laughing

Nothing off topic to bother about since this is just a joke post however others may not be able to benefit from any "serious" golf discussion.

Rules 25-2: Embedded ball
A ball embedded in its own pitch-mark in the ground in any closely mown area through the green may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green. "Closely mown area" means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Betting is good for golf   Betting is good for golf I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 9:27 am

Eden, you are correct that " others may not be able to benefit from any "serious" golf discussion ". I will transfer this to the proper post and we can discuss further.

I ever discussed the same topic in Malaysia forum and you may be interested to know how one of the rule guru explained regarding this statement

"Closely mown area" means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.

Please look out for it ... Thx Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Betting is good for golf   Betting is good for golf I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Betting is good for golf
Page 1 of 1