Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How is distance measured?

Go down 
+3
sniffydog
shorthitter
Technospaz
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

How is distance measured? Empty
PostSubject: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 10:46 am

Folks, silly question.

How is distance measured? I always thought that it's from the tee to where the ball first lands (i.e. the carry distance) rather to where the ball stops after its roll. Am I mistaken?

T'spaz
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 10:49 am

Technospaz wrote:
Folks, silly question.

How is distance measured? I always thought that it's from the tee to where the ball first lands (i.e. the carry distance) rather to where the ball stops after its roll. Am I mistaken?

T'spaz

No such thing as a silly question, only silly answers.... Smile

It is total "travel distance" carry and roll...

If you are refering to PGA Tour they measure only 2 holes, 1 upwind 1 downwind. That is why the stats are misleading because not everyone may tee off with a driver for those holes so their stats look shorter.
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 11:01 am

Thanks, shorthitter. I appreciate both the reply and kind remarks about my silly question Smile
Back to top Go down
sniffydog
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
sniffydog

PostSubject: Re: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 12:05 pm

wah. I always reply distance questions with my carry distance...although logically it should be carry and roll distances. thats a whole lot of distance difference for a driver...

thanks for the confirmation, shorthitter.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 12:26 pm

Golf Digest lists the Pros WITB yardages as carry distance.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 1:57 pm

Also, more recently in Golf Asia... there was a review of drivers and all the distances indicated were for carry. But, I agree that it should logically be carry and roll.. at least that's what they use in the longest drive tournies.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 2:11 pm

If you were to ask anyone all they can answer is carry, but in an event where distance is measured the person measuring is not going to walk back up the fairway from the ball to find where the ball landed...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 2:14 pm

So, if someone says that they drive the ball 250m, does that mean a carry of 250m or a carry+roll of 250m?
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 2:18 pm

Technospaz wrote:
So, if someone says that they drive the ball 250m, does that mean a carry of 250m or a carry+roll of 250m?

Well from my personal experience, i get to ball and measure how far left to the hole and deduct remainder, gives me driving distance. do over 14 holes, gives you an average.

In Asia the ball does not roll very far, but how do you know where it landed when you are 250 metres away?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 2:26 pm

shorthitter wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Well from my personal experience, i get to ball and measure how far left to the hole and deduct remainder, gives me driving distance. do over 14 holes, gives you an average.

In Asia the ball does not roll very far, but how do you know where it landed when you are 250 metres away?

Good point.

Let me ask the question in a different way. If you were in the range and you hit a driver shot and the ball carried for 220m but rolled to 250m. Would you say that you can drive the ball 220m or 250m?
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 2:27 pm

Once again, this is me personally.... if I did it more than once, I would say 250m drives, as I am hitting the ball from where it sits not where it lands....
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 2:30 pm

shorthitter wrote:
Once again, this is me personally.... if I did it more than once, I would say 250m drives, as I am hitting the ball from where it sits not where it lands....

Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 2:33 pm

Shd be carry , not carry+ roll. PGA stats measure only carry distance. And it's assuming no wind.

Roll depends on condition of grounds - hard, soft, wet, after rain all will affect rolls.
Back to top Go down
eswing
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 2:56 pm

PGA tour stats for driving distance: http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/xm.html?101

Somewhere near the end of page... :
"The average number of yards per measured drive. These drives are measured on two holes per round. Care is taken to select two holes which face in opposite directions to counteract the effect of wind. Drives are measured to the point at which they come to rest regardless of whether they are in the fairway or not."
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 3:08 pm

hmmmm...

so now i know mine liao.... kaoz....
150m......carry...
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 3:13 pm

eswing wrote:
PGA tour stats for driving distance: http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/xm.html?101

Somewhere near the end of page... :
"The average number of yards per measured drive. These drives are measured on two holes per round. Care is taken to select two holes which face in opposite directions to counteract the effect of wind. Drives are measured to the point at which they come to rest regardless of whether they are in the fairway or not."

Phew!!!! Thanks E.... thought I was beating dead cat.... lol!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 3:19 pm

Thanks!! That puts this issue to rest.

Sorry if I had caused any tension. I appreciate the feedback! Smile
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 3:24 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Thanks!! That puts this issue to rest.

Sorry if I had caused any tension. I appreciate the feedback! Smile

No tension mate, only way to learn is to ask.......
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 3:31 pm

Thanks!!

On a separate issue, I recall reading somewhere (but can't remember where) that each level of a driving range we play off, we need to deduct X meters off our shots. Simply, the higher the level you are on in the driving range, the longer your ball appears to travel but in reality, it doesn't go quite as far. Does anyone know the formula?

I thought it was something like 1 level = -20m or something.
Back to top Go down
sniffydog
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
sniffydog

PostSubject: Re: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 5:34 pm

really no right and wrong answer bah, next time someone tells u he drives 300m, better ask again, "distance= carry? roll? carry+roll? carry-roll? roll+carry+roll? or lastly, carry+carry?"
to make sure all same dictionary.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 6:16 pm

I don't really care for distance + roll in Singapore cos I don't get any run and all my drives' pitchmarks are next to my ball anyway. scratch
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 6:33 pm

bro S70B, yr drive is too far liao n power liao... r u the one with the super power fade drive? fade got less or no roll rite?

sniffydog, doesn't matter 300m is roll or roll + carry, can drive 300M is PGA standard liao... 300M = 330 yards!!!! monster!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How is distance measured?   How is distance measured? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How is distance measured?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Talk-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.