Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Set up posture

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

Set up posture Empty
PostSubject: Set up posture   Set up posture I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 10:12 pm

I'm currently still having lessons, but i would like to clarify , there is no hard written rule on how far shd a person stand away from his tee ? Personally i prefer standing nearer to my rubber tee when i do my practice. Whenever i stand further , i realise i always miss the ball. Is there a guide to follow ? My pro says it's a personal thing. So i'm just gathering some advice from the community here so i can improve on the game.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

Set up posture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set up posture   Set up posture I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 10:24 pm

Hey ironstarz, if you score or strike the ball better setting up as close to the ball as Jim Furyk does, you should continue to do so.

No point setting up like Tiger Woods if you miss the ball.

Happy golfing! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

Set up posture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set up posture   Set up posture I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 10:37 pm

Thanks chemicalpro i get what you're saying. I guess its a personal preference.
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

Set up posture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set up posture   Set up posture I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 10:50 pm

Yep, it should compliment your swing.

If you notice, especially on woods and drivers, some players set up with the ball right at the toe of the club, while others set up right at the center or sweet spot of the clubface.

I suppose you would set up with the ball in the middle of your driver's face standing closer to the ball, but hey if it works, do it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

Set up posture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set up posture   Set up posture I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 11:05 pm

Yeah i reckon that too. I've not move on to drivers yet so prob taking a small step at a time to see how it progress. But i am kinda sure i might end up with the ball at the middle of the driver face standing close to the ball. Wonder will ppl give a weird stare ?? lol
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

Set up posture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set up posture   Set up posture I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 11:11 pm

Stare? Ya I bet they would! But not of your set up, but of your 300yard drive bombs Razz

Yeah one step at a time. Guys tend to swing too hard for our own good, ladies are more technical. But no choice, its in our blood to swing hard Laughing
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Set up posture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set up posture   Set up posture I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 9:23 am

Ironstarz, the general guide is to assume your stance with your weight over the balls of your feet, then after you set your club down with the ball in the middle of the clubface, there should be one hand's width of space between your body and the butt end of the club. Anything more, and you would be reaching too far causing you to lose balance on the downswing. Anything less could cause you to block shots to the right, chickenwing your left arm/ flip your hands at impact, or stand up on the downswing to compensate.

It's really not that personal since the right posture at address keeps you in balance and maintains your swing on plane through impact.

Scrutinise all the pros you can, and you'll see that generally most adopt the athletic stance and reach for the ball the same distance, one hand's width.

Jim Furyk is one of the few exceptions who stands closer to the ball, but then his swing isn't the same as all the other pros is it? It works for him because he plays on a daily basis, and it's burned into his muscle memory. Sadly, the only thing burned into our memory is our last bad shot.
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

Set up posture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set up posture   Set up posture I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 12:15 pm

Thanks Birdman. That's what my pro said, in regards to the weights over the balls of the feet. Nevertheless i'm goona try out both again and decide which one would be more suitable for me.

In reference to

there should be one hand's width of space between your body and the butt end of the club.

You mkean from my body to the club head there shd be one arm distance ?
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

Set up posture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set up posture   Set up posture I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 12:17 pm

No Ironstarz,

its hand between your body (crotch) and the end of your club.. let me see if i can find a picture..

Set up posture Hand_position
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

Set up posture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set up posture   Set up posture I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 12:23 pm

nrafee wrote:
No Ironstarz,

its hand between your body (crotch) and the end of your club.. let me see if i can find a picture..

Set up posture Hand_position

Thanks nrafee . Now it's more clear for me to understand by looking at the picture.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Set up posture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set up posture   Set up posture I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Set up posture
Page 1 of 1