Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Punggolians New Toy

Go down 
+10
lousyswinger
kelvinsoh
7up
chip_munkie
dreamwaters
Dstruc
iceballx
Turbo
escyb
pug
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pug
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
pug

Punggolians New Toy Empty
PostSubject: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 10:03 am

Saw this yesterday at Punggol Driving Range. There were 3 golfers using it so I did not get to try. Thought it was free but must pay $10/hr. 

Anyone tried? Accurate? Useful? Worth spending? Any reviews? The Punggolians should organise an outing there and hog all 3 machines for ourselves!!! Heehee

Punggolians New Toy Asset10Punggolians New Toy Asset_10
Back to top Go down
escyb
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
escyb

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 1:23 pm

We gotta meet there early in order to hav a chance to use it... Onz, bro?!
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 2:40 pm

Interesting concept but not the first in Sg ... Years ago OCC range had something like this but not very successful ... So the concept was scraped eventually ...
Back to top Go down
pug
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
pug

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 4:12 pm

escyb wrote:
We gotta meet there early in order to hav a chance to use it... Onz, bro?!

Onz...tonight? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
iceballx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 5:44 pm

what are those machines?
Back to top Go down
Dstruc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Dstruc

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 7:31 pm

$10 an hour for some Japanese lady to chat with you while you practise? Hmmm...
Back to top Go down
pug
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
pug

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 7:59 pm

iceballx wrote:
what are those machines?
I am thinking that it is something like trackman that shows you how you're hitting the ball. Seems to have instant video playback to see your last swing. The three Golfers were challenging each other so I think it can simulate a golf course. You see those balls just beyond the mat? They were from their putting. I was initially shocked to see people putting on the driving range mat. Hahaha
Back to top Go down
dreamwaters
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dreamwaters

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 10:17 pm

Yeah man.... i overheard the guys about the golf course and their scores... even talking about giving strokes lol
Back to top Go down
iceballx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 9:57 am

OIC. interesting concept.
Back to top Go down
chip_munkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
chip_munkie

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 11:03 pm

Very interesting, should go down some time to take a look. Smile
Back to top Go down
7up
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2014 3:54 pm

Tried simulator last week! Very interesting as it captures ball flight (almost instant), ball spin, launch angle and etc. The guys there are also helpful by explaining what the machine can do for you.

Was with a friend, so we tried played a 9-hole game. the experience was great and the system is very sensitive in detecting the ball.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
kelvinsoh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2014 5:07 pm

Try the system on sunday. With the help of the replay camera I notice my over swing and bend elbow. 
It is also online I can get my ball placement and swing replay any time any where.

....Will try the nine hole soon.
Back to top Go down
lousyswinger
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2014 5:10 pm

Any reviews so far? For putter, need to use blade putter? for the system to detect properly? How does it compare to the 'real' system?
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2014 6:16 pm

This is setup by http://golfwalker.com.sg/

They have a simulator at Ubi, which I have played 18-holes a few times. Not too bad, playing golf in a nice cosy environment. Perfect for this time of the year where weather is so unpredictable. Have not been to this Punggol range, but $10/hour is cheap. Only thing is that you use range balls, and this is additional cost. Plus all those putts also quite a waste of golf balls I feel. Maybe can skip the putting at the range. and just +2 for every shot that lands on green. Can save some $.
Back to top Go down
lousyswinger
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2014 6:34 pm

Are the systems linked? From the previous posts it sounds like multiple stations can play together. If that's the case, will have to go round Robin to hit the ball?
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2014 9:12 pm

matoonia wrote:

They have a simulator at Ubi, which I have played 18-holes a few times. Not too bad, playing golf in a nice cosy environment. Perfect for this time of the year where weather is so unpredictable. Have not been to this Punggol range, but $10/hour is cheap. Only thing is that you use range balls, and this is additional cost. Plus all those putts also quite a waste of golf balls I feel. Maybe can skip the putting at the range. and just +2 for every shot that lands on green. Can save some $.

Put a basket to catch the balls during putting?
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2014 6:03 pm

weesern wrote:
matoonia wrote:

Put a basket to catch the balls during putting?

Haha not sure about whether it's possible since I've nvr been to Punggol range before. Maybe can get your partner stand in front of the range mat and catch the ball as you putt towards him clown 
Think the system should be able to detect the putt
Back to top Go down
kelvinsoh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 5:45 pm

Hi try the basket to catch the putting... it work... 
the system seen working with all sort of putter...
Back to top Go down
Vrooooom2
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2014 6:11 pm

Sounds fun. Do the mats simulate ground condition? At least fairway v rough. Asking for bunker is too much I believe, haha
Back to top Go down
kelvinsoh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2014 1:41 pm

What I saw was a reduction on the swing speed if land on rough or bunker.. 
For example -10% for rough meaning that if your range ball land on 100m the system will only show you you land on 90m during 9 holes game play...
Back to top Go down
Vrooooom2
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2014 5:14 pm

Does anyone know the number at the bottom left corner (next to ms) means? The girls at the cash counter couldn't tell me. I thought ms stands for meter per second but the number that showed up usually in the high 50/ low 60 for driver makes no sense to me
Back to top Go down
lousyswinger
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2014 6:48 pm

Sounds like frame rate of the display. Milliseconds. 

Haven't been to punggol in a while.
Back to top Go down
kelvinsoh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2014 2:38 pm

That the ball speed meter per second.... It can be change to km/h or mph... From menu...

For driver ball 60 meter per second is already fast but can be faster if want to break 230m
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 2:44 pm

7up wrote:
Tried simulator last week! Very interesting as it captures ball flight (almost instant), ball spin, launch angle and etc. The guys there are also helpful by explaining what the machine can do for you.

Was with a friend, so we tried played a 9-hole game. the experience was great and the system is very sensitive in detecting the ball.

Cheers!

My question now is, you are using range balls (i.e. one-piece ball), how accurate can we capture the important data like ball spin, ball launch angle, ball speed, ball distance, carry distance, etc. The only element that does not affect the result even if mediocre quality ball is used is your own swing speed ...

I was aghast at one time when I saw the inside of a cracked range ball at OCC range ... It was hollow (empty) inside the ball. It is purely a 1-piece ball ... Effective from that day, I told my friends not to waste too much effort by hitting hard in the range as the ball would not carry much distance realistically ... Laughing
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Turbo wrote:
7up wrote:

Cheers!

My question now is, you are using range balls (i.e. one-piece ball), how accurate can we capture the important data like ball spin, ball launch angle, ball speed, ball distance, carry distance, etc. The only element that does not affect the result even if mediocre quality ball is used is your own swing speed ...

I was aghast at one time when I saw the inside of a cracked range ball at OCC range ... It was hollow (empty) inside the ball. It is purely a 1-piece ball ... Effective from that day, I told my friends not to waste too much effort by hitting hard in the range as the ball would not carry much distance realistically ... Laughing

I have tried it and i threw the same question at the guy in charge. There is def a difference in hitting a 5 piece ball compared to range balls. and the balls at punggol really suck.. BIG TIME!!! was told that they'll be changing to new balls next month. 

There are pros and cons la... but at $10/hr, i think its pretty affordable. I'm not too bothered about the spin rates and so on cus i already know my numbers. As long as they stay within a certain range of what i hope to see, that's good enough. eg... As long as the spin doesn't exceed 3000rpm for my driver, i'm happy. Smile how far it goes.. that i wont bother too much. 

The good thing i find about it is that it records your swing from front and back. and uploads online instantly. You can watch a replay of your swing right after hitting or you can download all the swings online and even send it to your coaches and frens to help you evaluate your swing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Punggolians New Toy   Punggolians New Toy I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Punggolians New Toy
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Clubhouse :: Golf Courses and Ranges-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.