Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rory 4 putted twice

Go down 
+4
golferx
Turbo
bomby
skybobo
8 posters
AuthorMessage
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Rory 4 putted twice Empty
PostSubject: Rory 4 putted twice   Rory 4 putted twice I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 8:12 am

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/mcilroy-4-putts-12th-hole-bmw-again/

Rory 4 putted twice on the same par 3 on both Sat & Sun. Take a look at the video. The thing I noticed is although it seems only a very short distance, but he seems to putt it quite firm. This can be seen from how far the ball roll once it passed the hole.

On the contrary, most amateur when faced with this kind if putt will most prob just roll for a drop putt and not chiong so firm. 

What is ur take on this? 
On a 3 feet putt,  firm or just let it drop into the hole? 
For me, I will putt it firm to take the break out....but not as firm as rory
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rory 4 putted twice   Rory 4 putted twice I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 9:30 am

Depends on slope. For me.. if the area around the hole is relatively flat.. I will chiong so as to take the break out. But if after hole is a long downslope.. I will try to let it drop.

So really depends on situation. But then again.. my putting is my worse part of my game! Sad
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rory 4 putted twice   Rory 4 putted twice I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 9:34 am

In this case u can see from the video that it's relatively flat ground.....definitely not downslope after hole.....I think
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rory 4 putted twice   Rory 4 putted twice I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 9:43 am

skybobo wrote:
In this case u can see from the video that it's relatively flat ground.....definitely not downslope after hole.....I think

Sometimes camera angle can be deceiving.. anyway later I go see.. in office now. Razz
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Rory 4 putted twice   Rory 4 putted twice I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 9:47 am

For down slope, I would not go for firm putt. If up slope or flat ground, I will likely do a firm putt ...
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rory 4 putted twice   Rory 4 putted twice I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 9:56 am

Looked at the video.. my take is he hit it too hard. I will go for the hole on the 2nd putt.. but not the 1st putt.. as can see that the green slope towards the water.
Back to top Go down
golferx
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golferx

PostSubject: Re: Rory 4 putted twice   Rory 4 putted twice I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 10:21 am

I think he do not deliver the good pace for his putt. His jinx hole!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Rory 4 putted twice   Rory 4 putted twice I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 3:42 pm

He did it twice on the same hole? Yikes. That's horrible!! I saw it on Saturday and it was gut-wrenching. To do it again on Sunday... well, he's human Smile
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Rory 4 putted twice   Rory 4 putted twice I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 3:51 pm

Pros all putt firm, most of them do that, based on observations
Last night while watching Graeme Storm play the Evian Masters, he also putt very firm, makes lots of clutch putts

It's just one of those things 
Rory's return putt also firm, his third putt also firm, for some strange reason, his forth putt is much softer in comparison

Commentators like to say, 'putt with authority!'

I prefer to let my ball 'die' into the hole...
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rory 4 putted twice   Rory 4 putted twice I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 4:23 pm

pocketace wrote:
Pros all putt firm, most of them do that, based on observations
Last night while watching Graeme Storm play the Evian Masters, he also putt very firm, makes lots of clutch putts

It's just one of those things 
Rory's return putt also firm, his third putt also firm, for some strange reason, his forth putt is much softer in comparison

Commentators like to say, 'putt with authority!'

I prefer to let my ball 'die' into the hole...

Evian Masters not LPGA event ah Smile.....
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Rory 4 putted twice   Rory 4 putted twice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 8:05 am

Sorry I mean European Masters
 Same course I got mixed up
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Rory 4 putted twice   Rory 4 putted twice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 8:59 am

Just shows that we are all human. For those who 3 putted regularly, you can take comfort now after seeing the pros also fall into that miserable situation.
Back to top Go down
pysimy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rory 4 putted twice   Rory 4 putted twice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2014 9:14 pm

His pose after the 3rd putt still looked quite cool. Some Pros would have broken their putters into pieces by then  ROFL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rory 4 putted twice   Rory 4 putted twice I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rory 4 putted twice
Page 1 of 1