Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Beginner in golf, got a few questions.

Go down 
+2
Turbo
billcoke
6 posters
AuthorMessage
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Beginner in golf, got a few questions. Empty
PostSubject: Beginner in golf, got a few questions.   Beginner in golf, got a few questions. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 1:06 pm

Hi,

I'm a beginner in golf, got a few questions:

1. What is the minimum number of players to form a flight? can we have 1 or 2 players in a flight?

2. For overseas golf course like in Australia, do we need a handicap number to play on their course?

3. The golf course in Australia, are they open to public? or they are only available to reciprocal clubs' members with invitation cards from your local clubs?
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Beginner in golf, got a few questions.   Beginner in golf, got a few questions. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 1:16 pm

If you play at public course like MBGC, even if you are a lone player, you can still play. You prolly can join flight. Just go online and look for the available slot. But to join flight, better to have certain skill level. Unless the rest of the playing mates are equally green to the game, you might hold up the rest. For MBGC, you need a handicap. If not, pay $10 for a test swing license which is valid for a month.

You can alternatively game at Mandai Executive course which is a short 9-hole course (stand corrected). No need handicap.

Yes, those public courses in Down Under are open to the public if not they would not be called public course. But handicap may not be required as I don't remember them requesting me to produce a handicap card for verification.
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Beginner in golf, got a few questions.   Beginner in golf, got a few questions. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi Billcoke,

1.  Most clubs would allow single or two balls to game if the course is not crowded and this is usually during weekdays, non peak hours. During weekends, most clubs would want 3 or 4 balls to a flight due to higher demand.
2.  I have played in a few courses down south and they did not ask for my handicap. But having said that, you should have some proficiency in the game so as not to hold up fellow golfers in your flight or those following behind. Knowledge of some of the more common rules, particularly those on etiquette, is also important so that you do not embarrass your host or yourself. To be on safe side, call ahead to check with the club and play during the non peak hours where you have a better chance of having the whole course to yourself. Do not forget to buy insurance!
3.  Not all clubs are opened to the public. Members club would normally allow their members to bring in guests. Some members club may allow unaccompanied visitors and these usually pay a higher fee to play. Call ahead to ask. If the course/club is a public course, then it is open to the public.

Hope the above helps.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Beginner in golf, got a few questions.   Beginner in golf, got a few questions. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 10:04 pm

To add on, do keep an eye for faster flights approaching from behind and ask if they'd like to pass through especially if you're a single golfer.

You'll have more time to soak in the scenery and enjoy your game with no pressure from golfers pressing from behind. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Beginner in golf, got a few questions.   Beginner in golf, got a few questions. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 12:10 pm

Turbo wrote:
If you play at public course like MBGC, even if you are a lone player, you can still play. You prolly can join flight. Just go online and look for the available slot. But to join flight, better to have certain skill level. Unless the rest of the playing mates are equally green to the game, you might hold up the rest. For MBGC, you need a handicap. If not, pay $10 for a test swing license which is valid for a month.

You can alternatively game at Mandai Executive course which is a short 9-hole course (stand corrected). No need handicap.

Yes, those public courses in Down Under are open to the public if not they would not be called public course. But handicap may not be required as I don't remember them requesting me to produce a handicap card for verification.

Which Australian public golf course did you go to? 

I'm looking for a public golf courses in Perth, Gold Coast and Sydney, any recommendation?
Back to top Go down
nkglfrs
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Beginner in golf, got a few questions.   Beginner in golf, got a few questions. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 12:24 pm

billcoke wrote:
Turbo wrote:

I'm looking for a public golf courses in Perth, Gold Coast and Sydney, any recommendation?

If you play in Sydney, you definitely have to try The Coast Golf Course, it is a public course smack between 2 private course. 1st 9 provides great ocean view, 2nd provide challenging hill course.

all in all, very nice course to play at around AUD$30
Back to top Go down
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Beginner in golf, got a few questions.   Beginner in golf, got a few questions. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 12:49 pm

And is it a must you have to wear golf shoes on the course? can we wear running shoes instead?
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Beginner in golf, got a few questions.   Beginner in golf, got a few questions. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 1:09 pm

Billcoke,

I would strongly suggest that you wear proper golf shoes as required by most clubs and for safety reasons (so you do not easily slip & fall). You might also find this useful:-
 http://askandyaboutclothes.com/golf/basic-golf-etiquette/
Back to top Go down
blackpool_04
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Beginner in golf, got a few questions.   Beginner in golf, got a few questions. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 1:12 pm

i think most (if not all) courses require golfers to wear golf shoes. anyway, best to wear spiked golf shoes cuz it can be really slippery when the ground is wet...

if you think convenience is key, maybe get some spike-less golf shoes so dont need to change before and after a game. the grip would still be better than running shoes....
Back to top Go down
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Beginner in golf, got a few questions.   Beginner in golf, got a few questions. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 12:24 am

blackpool_04 wrote:
i think most (if not all) courses require golfers to wear golf shoes. anyway, best to wear spiked golf shoes cuz it can be really slippery when the ground is wet...

if you think convenience is key, maybe get some spike-less golf shoes so dont need to change before and after a game. the grip would still be better than running shoes....

many thanks.
Back to top Go down
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Beginner in golf, got a few questions.   Beginner in golf, got a few questions. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 12:29 am

nkglfrs wrote:
billcoke wrote:
Turbo wrote:

If you play in Sydney, you definitely have to try The Coast Golf Course, it is a public course smack between 2 private course. 1st 9 provides great ocean view, 2nd provide challenging hill course.

all in all, very nice course to play at around AUD$30

Regarding The Coast Golf Course, is it handicap required?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beginner in golf, got a few questions.   Beginner in golf, got a few questions. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beginner in golf, got a few questions.
Page 1 of 1