Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pro V1 and V1x

Go down 
+6
willytan
Birdman
DK
sebastianlim
kissthegreen
BryanSiow
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BryanSiow
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 7:28 pm

Hi guys,
Wanted your thoughts on the above balls.
I am a slow swinger at 90+ and recently get some of the above balls. I am currently hc16 and using hot pro. Do u guys think i will benefit from using the above balls?
Back to top Go down
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
kissthegreen

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 9:01 pm

Fine on pro v1, but you probably can't optimize on 1x though and likely lose some distance. But since you got them, enjoy them!
Back to top Go down
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 9:05 pm

My preferred ball is ProV1. I felt that ProV1 is softer,more control as compared to ProV1x. 
Both are long on tee-shots. I do get average additional 10metres longer drive as compared to other balls.
Back to top Go down
DK
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
DK

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 9:15 pm

To me, it has little to do with swing speed. Rather, these being higher spin balls, will enhance whatever spin you are currently imposing on your golf balls now. e.g. you are a slicer with your current distance balls, by switching to v1,v1x, you will be slicing even more.

Of course, the benefit would be better greenside control and of course, you must also be fundamentally correct in inducing the amount/direction of backspin required to exploit the properties of the balls.

If not, you will enjoy the game more with distance balls. Alternatively, you may consider getting balls which has a bit more greenside control with the properties of distance balls, e.g. Callaway Chrome, Titleist NXT Tour, Srixon Q-Star to name a few. Just my 2cents  bounce
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 10:05 pm

Hey Bryan,

When you say your current ball is the Hot Pro, I'm assuming you mean the Callaway Hex Hot Pro, a softer feeling distance ball with a moderate amount of spin.

If you go according to Titleist's ball fitting philosophy, 90+mph or 120+mph, it doesn't matter what your swing speed is, Pro V1 and Pro V1x will work for you.

Both the Pro V1 and V1x have urethane covers versus the surlyn/ionomer cover of the Hex Hot Pro, that's the most important difference.

Surlyn/ionomer - Extremely durable and straighter flight off longer clubs, but because of its lesser spin properties, the ball will roll out more than check up with wedge shots around the green. The feel is also firmer off all clubs. Do note there are two types of surlyn/ionomer covers, the budget priced or distance balls spin the least while the mid-priced performance balls are softer with moderate spin.

Urethane - Used on all premium balls for its maximum spin properties. It's easier to fade or draw the ball on command with the longer clubs and get the ball to hop and stop with the wedges. The feel is softest, but that also means cuts and scuffs are to be expected off wedges, trees and especially cartpaths.

Where you'll notice the most difference with the Titleist balls are around the green with the scoring clubs.

Between the Pro V1 and V1x, the former is a softer ball that spins more; while the latter is slightly firmer with a little lesser spin and a lower ball flight, preferred usually by the long bomber who already hits the ball very high.

If you have the chance, it might be a good idea to practice various wedge shots with the Hex Hot Pro and Pro V1/V1x balls side by side so you get used to how the Titleist balls react versus your old ball. If not, you might find yourself coming up short on chip shots because of the increased spin.

Hope this helps.  Smile

Last edited by Birdman on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 10:16 pm

DK wrote:
To me, it has little to do with swing speed. Rather, these being higher spin balls, will enhance whatever spin you are currently imposing on your golf balls now. e.g. you are a slicer with your current distance balls, by switching to v1,v1x, you will be slicing even more.

Of course, the benefit would be better greenside control and of course, you must also be fundamentally correct in inducing the amount/direction of backspin required to exploit the properties of the balls.

If not, you will enjoy the game more with distance balls. Alternatively, you may consider getting balls which has a bit more greenside control with the properties of distance balls, e.g. Callaway Chrome, Titleist NXT Tour, Srixon Q-Star to name a few. Just my 2cents  bounce

Excellent points that can't be ignored for those thinking to switch DK.

I love my lob wedge, so it's a urethane ball for me.
 Swing
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 10:29 pm

Very good information for those trying to understand abt premium ball construction esp ProV1 n ProVx.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 10:55 pm

When I am betting big money, I use the pro v and vx. 

When just playing for fun, Simi LJ ball also can la. 

Roll out roll out la..... hahahhaa

On a serious note, the reason why i use pro v's are because my used ones are cheaper than any new balls bought from the pro shops.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 11:02 pm

Denmeister wrote:

On a serious note, the reason why i use pro v's are because my used ones are cheaper than any new balls bought from the pro shops.

Buy low, bet high!  lol!

U da man!
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 11:08 pm

Birdman wrote:
Denmeister wrote:

Buy low, bet high!  lol!

U da man!
Lose too much liao.... ball buying budget got cut.

Just invested in a ball scooper, will be scooping balls from rjcc ponds during non peak hours......
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 11:10 pm

Actually it depends on which version, the latest one I don't quite like it. It felt a bit dead. I rather play lethal, soft and long yet cheap. That's u get from gd
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 11:22 pm

enwee wrote:
Actually it depends on which version, the latest one I don't quite like it. It felt a bit dead. I rather play lethal, soft and long yet cheap. That's u get from gd

If I find any lethals during my scooping sessions, I keep them for you, ok?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 11:34 pm

Denmeister wrote:
Just invested in a ball scooper, will be scooping balls from rjcc ponds during non peak hours......

Hope you got this one. Extends to 9ft from a compact foot and a half.
Sorry for the OT.

Pro V1 and V1x 41FHgqy68OL
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 11:36 pm

Lousy la..... mine goes 20ft
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 11:43 pm

Denmeister wrote:

Siao ah! You fishing for balls in the Mekong River isit?  Shocked

My 12 footer oredi long enough to reach one third of Palm Villa's IOI canal.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 11:54 pm

Birdman wrote:
Denmeister wrote:

Siao ah! You fishing for balls in the Mekong River isit?  Shocked

My 12 footer oredi long enough to reach one third of Palm Villa's IOI canal.

I don't fish in mickey mouse courses..... very little pro v's

Sources tell me serapong Damn rewarding
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 12:10 am

That, and NSRCC Changi.

Pro Vs aplenty.

Ok, enough OT oredi.  geek
Back to top Go down
vinjess
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
vinjess

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 9:54 am

Birdman wrote:
Denmeister wrote:

Hope you got this one. Extends to 9ft from a compact foot and a half.
Sorry for the OT.

Pro V1 and V1x 41FHgqy68OL

Black Widow Black Widow Black Widow!!!
Back to top Go down
IceShelterX
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 11:27 am

wow thanks birdman for balls info. no wonder i feel damn shiok wedge shot from pro v1x.
Back to top Go down
vinjess
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
vinjess

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 11:28 am

IceShelterX wrote:
wow thanks birdman for balls info. no wonder i feel damn shiok wedge shot from pro v1x.

Shiok? Then die liao lor. Win liao lor.
Back to top Go down
IceShelterX
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 12:01 pm

LOL... just got one ball only tried it at nsrcc par 3... skali first driver shot the ball fade/slice dunno go where liao leh?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 12:22 pm

IceShelterX wrote:

You're welcome.

Assuming one doesn't top or duff with the wedges, then the cheapest and most effective way to add tons of spin around the green is to change from a distance to a performance (more spin), or a premium (most spin) ball.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 12:38 pm

Here's an interesting and comprehensive article written by a professional golf ball engineer and coach that not only explains the differences and construction of a golf ball, it also helps the novice to skilled golfer to choose the right type of ball along with suggestions of specific models and their design features.

It's an easy to understand guide for the golfer who has no clue on how to choose a golf ball.

FYI, the bottom half of the article is where he sells his instructional package.

2014 Golf Ball Guide
Back to top Go down
IceShelterX
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 4:11 pm

Thanks Birdman, its a good reading material for me. As i really dunno what ball to choose... mainly just go for 30 balls for $10 used balls and any brand can do. now need to learn to start filtering which ball to use for a game and see if there any improvement.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 4:26 pm

IceShelterX wrote:
Thanks Birdman, its a good reading material for me. As i really dunno what ball to choose... mainly just go for 30 balls for $10 used balls and any brand can do. now need to learn to start filtering which ball to use for a game and see if there any improvement.

You're welcome.

I think this deserves its own separate thread so that it'll pop up easily when doing a search.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pro V1 and V1x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pro V1 and V1x   Pro V1 and V1x I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pro V1 and V1x
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Pro Shop :: Equipment Reviews-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.