Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?

Go down 
+11
Turbo
punkrockpga
haragolfer
willytan
freedrop
EastCoastHack
Gray
asahi
Momo333
kissthegreen
56789pgs
15 posters
AuthorMessage
56789pgs
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? Empty
PostSubject: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 6:03 pm

For a country of 50M, they have the most number of players in the rolex ranking Top 100 (41 players in top 100, 149 in Top 500)

if you say it is a national sport, then why are their men performing not as well?
Back to top Go down
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
kissthegreen

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 7:21 pm

It's probably like the influx of Russian ladies in tennis.. When you mention golf to koreans, the likes of  Ser Ri Park and Grace Park come to their minds.. Both are a symbol of success and 'if they can do it, I can do it too' mindset...
My missus is currently coached by a korean lady pro.. She is very particular about getting the right swing and fundamentals, and distance will come later.. Pretty textbook coaching... She did also mentioned that she used to hit minimum of 2000 balls a day when she was a tour professional..
Back to top Go down
Momo333
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Momo333

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 7:38 pm

Not to mention in Japan and Korea, ladies playing golf is a status symbol.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 7:56 pm

And they look better!
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 8:24 pm

why?

cos they generally have short legs.

the leg length to body of an average korean is less than a chinese, indian or ang moh.

short legs equals more stable swing as it is closer to the ground
Back to top Go down
EastCoastHack
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
EastCoastHack

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 8:27 pm

They are the world's best archers. The relationship between the feet/lower body and the ground is similar to golf I think. The national training process for Korean archers is good Google.

... and what asahi said.
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 10:00 pm

Gray wrote:
why?

the leg length to body of an average korean is less than a chinese, indian or ang moh.

Interesting observation. How come PGA's top players are mostly 6 footers with obviously long legs?
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 10:01 pm

And they dress up pretty well on the course too but their face are usually covered up like a "Ninja".
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 9:27 am

freedrop wrote:
Gray wrote:
why?

Interesting observation. How come PGA's top players are mostly 6 footers with obviously long legs?

Cos men and women different? Women are top heavy and hence shorter legs help?

I not sure, never go and study with math. I also anyhow hanthumb tok cock
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 9:46 am

Michelle wie very tall and long but played like crap for a very long time what.  height and power is great to have but not pre- requisite to be a champion for golf. 

so short ladies and gentlemen who are vertically challenged also can have a fair fight mah.

too tall have have to bend over very far to putt you know.
Back to top Go down
punkrockpga
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 9:58 am

kissthegreen got it right with his analogy to the Russian tennis players and his reference to the coaching style.  

I don't believe it has anything to do with physical traits like short legs.

Daniel Coyle explains it best in his book "The Talent Code" using both Korean LPGA players and Russian tennis players as examples.  It's A book that has had huge influence on my coaching.  A book that I would highly recommend to any golfer who wants to understand why they don't improve and what they need to do in order to improve the way they would like to.

Check it out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bradfordprogolf.com
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 9:59 am

if you have total body height very tall but legs short, I think this is very powerful combo for golf.

Firm to the ground with low CG but yet at the same time have a wide swing radius.
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 1:02 pm

Gray wrote:
if you have total body height very tall but legs short, I think this is very powerful combo for golf.

Firm to the ground with low CG but yet at the same time have a wide swing radius.

If this is true, then gorillas and chimpanzees will be great golfers. They have short legs, and long arms.
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 1:07 pm

haragolfer wrote:
Michelle wie very tall and long but played like crap for a very long time what.  height and power is great to have but not pre- requisite to be a champion for golf. 

so short ladies and gentlemen who are vertically challenged also can have a fair fight mah.

too tall have have to bend over very far to putt you know.

Pinehurst 2 is a long course favouring long hitters like Michelle Wie. She can reach par 5 greens in 2 using mid irons.

Whereas short hitters like Miyazato and many of the Koreans have to use fairway woods for 2nd shot, and then iron for 3 on.

And for long par 4, MW will use wedge for 2nd shot, while Koreans still need long irons or woods.

Everything else being equal, long hitters have the advantage in long courses.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 1:33 pm

Gray wrote:
why?

With the exception of Michelle WIE who is 6 feet tall ..  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 1:34 pm

56789pgs wrote:
... if you say it is a national sport, then why are their men performing not as well?

This is mainly because PGA Tour is much more competitive & demanding compare to the LPGA Tour ...
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 1:36 pm

kissthegreen wrote:
It's probably like the influx of Russian ladies in tennis.. When you mention golf to koreans, the likes of  Ser Ri Park and Grace Park come to their minds.. Both are a symbol of success and 'if they can do it, I can do it too' mindset...
My missus is currently coached by a korean lady pro.. She is very particular about getting the right swing and fundamentals, and distance will come later.. Pretty textbook coaching... She did also mentioned that she used to hit minimum of 2000 balls a day when she was a tour professional..

Most if not all female Korean LPGA Tour Pros including Amateurs have very textbook swing except perhaps Inbee Park ...
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 1:37 pm

EastCoastHack wrote:
They are the world's best archers. The relationship between the feet/lower body and the ground is similar to golf I think. The national training process for Korean archers is good Google.

... and what asahi said.

Yes, the Koreans won Gold in Archery in the last Olympic game ...
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 2:29 pm

You guys googled Shin Ae Ahn before? 

She is Korean, textbook swing, and super leggy Cheers Jump 

Pity she is not as successful as the likes of Inbee Park. I guess you win some and lose some (pun intended!)
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 9:13 pm

pocketace wrote:
You guys googled Shin Ae Ahn before? 

She is Korean, textbook swing, and super leggy

You're right ... She looks great!

Back to top Go down
iron eagle
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 11:37 pm

EastCoastHack wrote:

... and what asahi said.

The Archer train like Commando, and they have a large crowd to watch and make a lot of noise, a kind of simulation.

So when they compete in Olympic nothing will distract them,
they are so focus on winning!
Back to top Go down
Lizsam
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 2:39 pm

Kissthegreen who is your wife's coach. Would you recommend her?
Back to top Go down
Happydingle
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 3:02 pm

Bro Turbo, excellent video... Awesome!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?   Why Korean ladies are so good in golf? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why Korean ladies are so good in golf?
Page 1 of 1