Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to hit far?

Go down 
+42
Duval_S
snagy23
yanhaotiong
LousyGolfer
Birdman
Derek
Kaii
Gray
blee67
IceShelterX
nutty88
nremda
Denmeister
michaelcheah
eckman
neutralgolfer
enwee
costajos
Mep
fata
bomby
greenbie
alvin7379
hkhamateur
DLWL
Turbo
Vinny
flashpacker
willytan
babolat
chuangyee
skybobo
timlim
ChrisD
haragolfer
chip_munkie
herpderp
asahi
WY
slinger
golf_snowman
Nyc2014
46 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

How to hit far? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   How to hit far? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 10:36 am

Gray wrote:
neutralgolfer wrote:
Quote :

Like all the bros mentioned, to lower hcp there are other areas which you can improve to bring it down. Disance is not the most important to lower hcp.

Huh? Eh to lower handicap, distance is one of the key factors leh.

If your 7 iron can hit 100m, even if you hit accurately, I would like to see how you can lower your handicap.

Perhaps from a triple bogey to double bogey possible, but to go from bogeys to pars and birdies, you seriously got to have distance.

Why? Short irons easy to control. A good drive allows you to use a short iron or wedge and get on or nearer the pin. If after a drive, you are still left with a wood or hybrid distance, then less chance lah.

With irons your ball can stop on the green with a few bounce. With wedges, your ball can even back spin. With woods, your ball will just roll and roll.

How to be accurate like that and lower hcp?

Don't think you can see an LPGA or PGA winner/player with a 120m - 7 iron lor.
Please read properly, I say not the most important, never say not important.

I see some guys who drive damn bloody long but yet still mid or high handicap. I see some old kaki drive short but still play 70+.

What I am saying is long distance is not the most important, it doesn't mean you have long drive you will lower your hcp. You only think of long straight drive, what about those erratic long drives which goes OB or hazard? It's important to have long straight drives, it gives you a chance for good score, but erratic long drive will give you high score as well.

No offence, Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   How to hit far? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 10:46 am

Just my perspective.....long hitters should give strokes to short pee shooter like me.

on the topic, I had managed to increase my carry by around 20m when I sorted out my slice. It took me 4 hours training via reading golf mag on plane....I now have a close stance when I drive.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   How to hit far? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 10:52 am

snagy23 wrote:
Just to share, a lot of times on par 4 i would rather hit it to within the zone of 150m and 100m stick so that i am confident that i have something in my bag to hit the next shot to the pin. rather than wack into the below 100m zone, not here not there, which will be hard to hit. just my opinion on course management which also helps to bring down scores.
Scary. Most of the time my driver only reach the blue marker.....ha ha
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   How to hit far? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 11:00 am

Duval_S wrote:
Just my perspective.....long hitters should give strokes to short pee shooter like me.

on the topic, I had managed to increase my carry by around 20m when I sorted out my slice. It took me 4 hours training via reading golf mag on plane....I now have a close stance when I drive.
you crack me up dude. 4 hours training is intense man.  even is just reading a mag.
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   How to hit far? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 11:02 am

slinger wrote:
hit far no use...

make sure its must be straight or in fairway ...

not scare u hit farther than me...

only scare u hit straighter than me...

not scare u play better than me ...

only scare u don't give me strokes ...
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   How to hit far? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 11:13 am

alvin7379 wrote:
The guys here are just wasting time...  geek 

Not sure if I can help but wanna range/ green together so I can give you my 1/2 cent worth of comments...   What a Face  What a Face  What a Face

ranging with alvin will definitely help, i always learn a thing or 2 watching him pound his drives 270m on average
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   How to hit far? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 7:14 pm

Duval_S wrote:

cheers True life example of what I was trying to convey when I mentioned plugging power leaks in the swing.

4 hours in the big scheme of things isn't all that much of a commitment, versus 4 months in the gym (with due respect to Yan), but the results are extraordinary. A willingness to make some adjustments, a little time to ingrain it, go from slice to straight.... and voila! An extra 20 metres.

And there's still another 10 to 20 metres to squeeze out of the swing by plugging a couple more power leaks for Duval depending on how much further he wants to take it.

Good job Duval. You upgraded from peashooter liao.

p.s. peeshooter is the one between your legs, but both shoot about the same distance.  ROFL
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   How to hit far? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 9:39 pm

zhenxua wrote:
alvin7379 wrote:

Not sure if I can help but wanna range/ green together so I can give you my 1/2 cent worth of comments...   What a Face  What a Face  What a Face

ranging with alvin will definitely help, i always learn a thing or 2 watching him pound his drives 270m on average

Ya.....he is long!  lol!
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   How to hit far? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 9:56 pm

asahi wrote:
zhenxua wrote:
alvin7379 wrote:

Ya.....he is long!  lol!

You said that to him in the jacuzzi?  Shocked
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   How to hit far? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 10:17 pm

Birdman wrote:
asahi wrote:
zhenxua wrote:
alvin7379 wrote:

Ya.....he is long!  lol!

You said that to him in the jacuzzi?  Shocked

Join us next round......and you shall know.  lol!
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   How to hit far? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 10:21 pm

Then my turn to say it to the both of you?  albino
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   How to hit far? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 11:12 am

Power & precision is the lethal combo in top level golf - PGA Tour ... Who in PGA Tour currently has this combo consistently? Well, no prize for getting the answer correct ... Rory McIlory is The Man!

Rory hit more than 360 yards off the tee in 8 of the holes in WGC-Bridgestone Invitational 2014. Awesome for someone who is a mere 5 ft 10 inches tall ... Someone from the pro golf fraternity claimed that he hit the ball like a 6 ft 5 inches tall guy ... I wonder where his power comes from ...

This Week Ranking- Rory McILroy

Total Driving - 1st
Distance - 1st
Ball Striking -1st
Back to top Go down
jacjacq
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   How to hit far? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 12:39 am

Hi guys, I've just picked up this sport a few months ago and I'm wondering what is the typical distance for ladies using 7 iron? I'm of petite physique (1.55m and skinny arms no strength!) and usually hit only about 50m (or less, sighh). So just curious to know what's the norm for ladies who just started so that I can manage my expectations a little better.. 

Also keen to learn any tips on improving on the distance (somehow i can manage to hit relatively straight most times..)  Surprised
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   How to hit far? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 1:44 am

Jacjaq, considering that you've only played for a few months, the simplest way for you to see a distance gain in the shortest possible time is to focus on contacting the ball in the centre of the clubface consistently. That same tip holds for any level of the game from beginner to advanced.

There is no distance norm for ladies who've just started, everyone's different. The more efficient you are with your swing, the further you'll hit the ball, so don't worry about distance at this stage of the game, you can't run before you learn how to crawl.

As a start, focus on the fundamentals of grip, setup, and alignment, along with consistently making contact with the centre of the clubface and you'll be on your way to more distance.

Once you become more proficient and ingrain the muscle memory for the swing past the 7 iron where you're able to comfortably handle all the clubs in your bag up to the driver, and you're finally taking it to the fairways, that would be the time to move onto more advanced tips for more distance or otherwise. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   How to hit far? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 9:43 am

Best way to hit far is too aim at the cart path and let the ball bump on the concrete. Learn this from Tin Cup.
Back to top Go down
DKing
Caddy
Caddy
DKing

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   How to hit far? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 10:18 am

I am with Birdman on this, don't worry about distance initially.
Just like learning to ride a bike, don't worry about going fast when you first get on it.
It will come naturally.

And being able to hit straight is great.
I find it more important.

By the way jacjacq, does all your clubs give you the same distance at this point?
Back to top Go down
jacjacq
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   How to hit far? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 12:20 pm

Thanks all for the guidance Smile will focus on getting my swing consistent and hopefully see results from there!

Lol yes DKing, so far I'm hitting the same kinda distance for all the clubs I've tried.. Haha
Back to top Go down
DKing
Caddy
Caddy
DKing

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   How to hit far? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 12:45 pm

I suppose you are in a way "scooping" the ball rather than hitting down on it hence regardless which club you use, it goes about the same distance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to hit far?   How to hit far? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to hit far?
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Tips & Tricks-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.