Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cheap, Value for Money Wedges

Go down 
+9
asahi
niwde82
cglim
enwee
pocketace
Asguard
Golf noob
willytan
leroyishere
13 posters
AuthorMessage
leroyishere
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Cheap, Value for Money Wedges Empty
PostSubject: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi guys. Many thanks for helping with my putter search previous time. My irons set only has from 4-G. G is probably a 52° I think. Probably looking for a 56° wedge. Hoping to get something that can last me a while. I'm not much of an upgrader. Yet I guess. Haha.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

I went down to look at GD. So many price points. About $50 can get the Lynx ones. Then there're the Callaway and Cleveland ones for about $12x-13x. Not really sure how to choose also.

PS. I have about an $80 voucher for Taka so I don't mind getting from there if it's not that much more expensive.
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 4:01 pm

I have 2 sets of forged NIKE wedges for sale if you are interested.

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t24329-wts-tm-r11-driver-oakley-sunglasses-belts-nike-wedges-set-new-item-added

Last edited by willytan on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Golf noob
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golf noob

PostSubject: Re: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 5:46 pm

I think I saw GD previously selling Titleist vokey $99 only.
Back to top Go down
Asguard
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Asguard

PostSubject: Re: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 12:34 am

Now now at harbourfront #03, still haven vokey brand new at 99
Back to top Go down
leroyishere
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 12:54 pm

@WillyTan Thanks but I'll keep my options open first. Looking for 56° anyway. Your 54° a bit too close to the G wedge I think?

@GolfNoob
@Asguard :
Thanks for the reco. I was told by the salespeople at both outlets that they are non-conforming wedges. Is that something I should be concerned about?
Back to top Go down
leroyishere
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 1:09 pm

Also I found this online. Never heard of the brand though. Until I browsed around the WRX forums and some have mentioned these wedges to be pretty value for money.

http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/scratch-golf-8620-milled-chrome-wedge.html

Only USD41. Anywhere to find this brand in SG?
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 1:22 pm

Never heard of the brand Scatch golf before? 
Just a few years ago, they sponsored PGA player Ryan Moore
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/423227-scratch-golf-clubs-and-ryan-moore/

Don't think anyone carries that brand in sg
Back to top Go down
leroyishere
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 1:43 pm

pocketace wrote:

Please pardon my ignorance. My experience in golf is only as old as this account. Haha. Really new player here.

Yes sadly haven't seen this brand in SG yet. Do you guys frequently order from the US?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 2:14 pm

leroyishere wrote:
pocketace wrote:

Please pardon my ignorance. My experience in golf is only as old as this account. Haha. Really new player here.

Yes sadly haven't seen this brand in SG yet. Do you guys frequently order from the US?
U got taka voucher? Go get Mack daddy lah
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 2:57 pm

no prob Bro Leroy, we are all here to share.

why do you want to order to from the US, is it really cheaper or more value for money?
yes, I have ordered from Rockbottomgolf before, they are reliable. But that's provided you know what you want. At this point, I feel that you still dunno what you want. Its just a punt...

eg  this Scratch wedge, USD41= SGD 52 based on current conversion, and say shipping is SGD20, you are looking at SGD70 ish

Scratch for me, its a question mark cos I've never seen or touch the club before, it is kinda a boutique brand to me. Is it better value than, eg Taylormade wedge that is selling at GD for SGD79? Perhaps its really good, I dunno, its your judgement call or if you believe those reviews on GolfWRX

I'm with bro Enwee, if you have SGD80 taka vouchers, then just go Taka and get a decent wedge that is of reputable brand. Actually, all major brands eg Callaway, Titleist, Mizuno, Clevelands, TM, all make decent wedges, I doubt if anyone of them is much better or much worse than each other. Its all very subjective

If you are getting a used one, then make sure the grooves are not too worn out. Get one wedge that you don't tell yourself," I got a crappy wedge in my bag, how I wish I got the vokeys... or Mack Daddys..."

I bet you will change your wedges at some time despite you proclaiming that you are not much of an 'upgrader', cos if you are truly addicted to this game, you are always on the look out for the next shiny new thing that golf manufacturers throw at us every year. Are you content with keeping your Scratch wedge if there is no resale value for it? Just a thought.

btw, to add to the confusion, there are Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) wedges, eg Miuras, Romaro, Yururi, George Spirits and  they are on the premium end and JDM fans believe these are the best. Again, it is subjective.

enjoy the journey, and as your skills develops, your wedge game improves over time, then you will be in the position to know what kind of wedge you want. Meanwhile, get one that appeals to you visually at least. Good luck with your search.  cheers
Back to top Go down
cglim
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
cglim

PostSubject: Re: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 3:07 pm

Very well said!
Just to add, based from my own newbie experience, I found the TV RAC and ATV, then Cleveland CG15 wedges quite easy to hit and control. You may want to give them a try.
Back to top Go down
cglim
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
cglim

PostSubject: Re: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 3:11 pm

Very well said!
Just to add, based from my own newbie experience, I found the TV RAC and ATV, then Cleveland CG15 wedges quite easy to hit and control. You may want to give them a try.
Back to top Go down
niwde82
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 4:04 pm

Since we are on the topic of wedge, I'll like to ask a question. Which are the wedges that's necessary in the bag? I currently have a pw, aw and 56 degrees. Shd I get a 58 or 60 degrees? Thanks
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 4:10 pm

What is needed?

It all depends on the gap/distant that u need.

I have the following;
PW - 90-100m
51* - 80-90m
55* - 65-80m
59* - 30-50m
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 4:15 pm

leroyishere wrote:
@WillyTan Thanks but I'll keep my options open first. Looking for 56° anyway. Your 54° a bit too close to the G wedge I think?

No worries, anyway I m selling them as a set (54 & 60) (52, 56 & 60). Not splitting them up.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 4:30 pm

niwde82 wrote:
Since we are on the topic of wedge, I'll like to ask a question. Which are the wedges that's necessary in the bag? I currently have a pw, aw and 56 degrees. Shd I get a 58 or 60 degrees? Thanks
You feel u missing certain distance? But of cos if u have a strong urge of buying get a 60.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 5:37 pm

Keep a 4 degree gap in between each wedge club; from your PW downwards.

Most ppl I know either play a 52, 56 @ 60 combo or simply 54 & 58.
Depending on your distance gap.
Back to top Go down
niwde82
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 6:08 pm

I see. Thanks all for your advice
Back to top Go down
copen123
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
copen123

PostSubject: Re: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 1:10 am

http://www.vokey.com/wedges/pages/wedge-selection-guide.aspx
Back to top Go down
handiman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 11:22 pm

Can somebody enlighten me (ie. model, finish etc.) on the vokey wedges at GD? Seems quite attractive at $99
Back to top Go down
jwing
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
jwing

PostSubject: Re: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 12:10 am

It's the non-conforming SM2, if u r not into any competition definitely a good buy...
Back to top Go down
GooGie
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
GooGie

PostSubject: Re: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 7:12 am

Golf Bargains have Vokeys @ $99, some Cleveland's @ $89 and Callaway's @ $59
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheap, Value for Money Wedges   Cheap, Value for Money Wedges I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cheap, Value for Money Wedges
Page 1 of 1