Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tee-ing up driver

Go down 
+10
Derek
TDO
rla
neutralgolfer
apollo23
gino
nutty88
uncleP
chien
Tokkokking
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Tokkokking
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Tee-ing up driver Empty
PostSubject: Tee-ing up driver   Tee-ing up driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 8:33 am

Hey guys,

Need some opinions on these.

Is there a difference in the way we tee up the driver on different types of 'grass'?

Not sure how to explain that but when I played MBGC in my previous 4 rounds, I was able to drive off the tee quite well (straight and finding the fairway consistently). I always make it a point to tee the ball up the same height as it was easy to tell from the type of grass at the tee-box (very flat/level).

Then, yesterday when I played a 9-hole at NSRCC (Airforce), I noticed the grass was different (not the flat kind at MBGC) and I wasn't sure if I should tee up the ball the from the ground or from the top of the grass. Well, had many bad drives (mostly to the left).

Also not sure if its because I was trying to chase it (blue tee at nsrcc vs white tee at mbgc).  

Thanks in advance for any pointers on these.

Last edited by Tokkokking on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

Tee-ing up driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tee-ing up driver   Tee-ing up driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 8:47 am

I believe it's a lot of psychology involved.. MBGC fairways wide and nice.. Yes the tee box also a lot better than the NSRCC.. Also, if you noticed it, the tee boxes at NSRCC are sloping usually, not flat.. Lastly, comparing the course difficulties of playing white from MBGC and blue from NSRCC, you could have tried to force it.. Try playing white at NSRCC again... Have fun.. cheers
Back to top Go down
uncleP
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Tee-ing up driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tee-ing up driver   Tee-ing up driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 9:36 am

I tot nsrcc would not allow abv 18 to tee off blue?  your kaki wanna free lunch or what?
If the best u can do with that driver is 230, then be it that you will end up 230 even from black.
difference is 350-230=120m a 9/8 iron or from the blue 380-230=150m a 6/7 iron .
Anytime you change the tempo or try to hit harder, U will gain 5-10 m right or left or into the bunker.
play your game according to your body strength. Do practice what U preach.
dont kill yourself.
tee with different height at range so that u can smack the ball always on the sweet spot.
good luck
and we see a new tiger on course yah
Back to top Go down
Tokkokking
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Tee-ing up driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tee-ing up driver   Tee-ing up driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 9:44 am

Yes bros, my bad. Chasing after a shot is not advisable.

Bro uncleP, I joined a flight so they play blue, I follow lor.

But regarding the height to tee up the ball on different types of grass, what should be the reference level? the ground or the grass?
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

Tee-ing up driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tee-ing up driver   Tee-ing up driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 10:07 am

I would think it is the ground bah. You can tee-up then step on the grass behind your tee to flatten it.
Back to top Go down
gino
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Tee-ing up driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tee-ing up driver   Tee-ing up driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 10:18 am

Definitely from the ground. And agree with previous posters, you definitely had your mind messed up there with the different grass.
Back to top Go down
apollo23
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Tee-ing up driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tee-ing up driver   Tee-ing up driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 10:22 am

Tokkokking wrote:
But regarding the height to tee up the ball on different types of grass, what should be the reference level? the ground or the grass?
Logically it should be from the ground.

Since i am a new golfer, will camp here for the right answer since this is a valid question.
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

Tee-ing up driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tee-ing up driver   Tee-ing up driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 10:24 am

Believe there are many factors.
MBGC wide fairway, a bit left still on fairway, NSRCC fairway tighter, a bit left could be rough.
Everyday our body may differs a little, today drive good, tomorrow may drive badly.
Does your driver touch the ground before hitting the ball? MBGC ground seems to be more bouncy than NRCC. If no, then it should not be the ground problem.

Just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
rla
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Tee-ing up driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tee-ing up driver   Tee-ing up driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 10:27 am

Yup, had the same problem initially with NSRCC and MBGC....but like gino said....its pretty much 80% mental...at least it was for me...
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

Tee-ing up driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tee-ing up driver   Tee-ing up driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 10:29 am

My personal view would be to check if the grass on the tee box is long or short. If longer than normal, I would tee-up slightly higher, depending on how high it is. If short, then tee-up as normal. If tee-up normally on longer grass, the tendency would be for the club face to catch the grass a bit and open the face slightly, which is enough to cause a slight slice (fade). Not sure if my assessment is right, but I use this ideology all the time and it works for me.Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

Tee-ing up driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tee-ing up driver   Tee-ing up driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 10:35 am

HI TKK,

I would say the ground ... because the key factor is the position of the ball relative to your body ... unless the grass is super ultra strong ... chances are that it is the ground that is supporting your body weight and that determines your standing height

On that note, what Chien says is VERY important, look out for slope of the tee box and set up accordingly, aside from the effect on direction, when you are not on a level surface, it is easier to lose balance when making a full swing, so be aware of this and find a suitable solution for yourself (for me, on driver it translates to a smoother transition and a more relaxed swing to maintain balance, for irons, it translates to 3/4 or 1/2 swings and taking more club)

I really can emphathize with your situation about playing from Blue when you are more used to white.  I have always been a short hitter, so even now, prefer playing from the white, but like you mentioned, many kakis like to play off blue, so I had to learn how to play off blue.  When I first started playing blue, I was driving 180m-200m.  Almost every hole was the same, Driver, Hybrid, Wedge.  Irons hardly used.  Being frustrated, I tried hitting harder, but without a good technique, all that achieved was sending it 180m wildly to the right or topping it or hitting into the ground as I tried to flip my wrist desperately to close the clubface.

At the end, I decided to accept that I could not reach in 2 and work on my short game so I won't get beaten so badly.  I also went back to my coach to work on a longer term solution.

I also played a lot of games from the white without using a tee, so that I could practice hitting woods/hybrids/mid irons "off the deck".  And also to get familiar with the feeling of being a short hitter and having to hit 2nd shot first into the green with a long club and almost no chance of putting in on.

Strangely enough, as the expectations dropped, the accuracy improved.

Anyways, only piece of advice playing blue is just to accept that you will have to take longer shots into the green (easier said than done) and find a way to play enough of these distances until you get very comfortable with them.

p.s. On a side note, unless you are already in peak physical condition, improving fitness and flexibility, together with proper instruction, can help to increase distance off the tee.
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

Tee-ing up driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tee-ing up driver   Tee-ing up driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 2:59 pm

Agreed with Derek in terms of accepting the fact that we hit shorter then our flightmates.  Just back from MBGC and the Blue was placed at the Black.  Using Wood and Hybrid and long irons for most of the shorts.

Nonetheless, it also allowed me to practice on these longer clubs that I dreaded to use.  Accepted the fact that most holes cant be GIR and hence, I did not try to force my swing.. It also provided another opportunity to practice more short games.  Hence, today's game from Black tee allows me to practice longer clubs and short game. Quite enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

Tee-ing up driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tee-ing up driver   Tee-ing up driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 3:05 pm

mengteck71 wrote:
Agreed with Derek in terms of accepting the fact that we hit shorter then our flightmates.  Just back from MBGC and the Blue was placed at the Black.  Using Wood and Hybrid and long irons for most of the shorts.

Nonetheless, it also allowed me to practice on these longer clubs that I dreaded to use.  Accepted the fact that most holes cant be GIR and hence, I did not try to force my swing.. It also provided another opportunity to practice more short games.  Hence, today's game from Black tee allows me to practice longer clubs and short game. Quite enjoyed it.
MT

Call me next time u are down at mbgc.. Will join u if schedule permits... Also wanna practice my long woods and short game..

cheers
Back to top Go down
Tokkokking
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Tee-ing up driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tee-ing up driver   Tee-ing up driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 10:46 pm

Thanks for the pointers.

Yup... I'm a 100 thereabouts player from white... Longest club which is reliable is my 27 deg hybrid, So only aim for double bogey when I play blue. Somehow was still affected mentally with needing to hit longer. Will trial and error on the tee height to see what works.
Back to top Go down
chip_munkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
chip_munkie

Tee-ing up driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tee-ing up driver   Tee-ing up driver I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 11:17 am

Hi TKK, 

would like to borrow ur thread to ask, how u guys ensure that the tee height is always the same? or is it not that important of a question? tee up too high seems to always hit the driver on the crown, too low will duff it. . Embarassed
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

Tee-ing up driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tee-ing up driver   Tee-ing up driver I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 11:47 am

chip_munkie wrote:
Hi TKK, 

would like to borrow ur thread to ask, how u guys ensure that the tee height is always the same? or is it not that important of a question? tee up too high seems to always hit the driver on the crown, too low will duff it. . Embarassed
I did a marking. Both thin and thick tee box green. Basketball
Hope this help. Wink
Back to top Go down
chip_munkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
chip_munkie

Tee-ing up driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tee-ing up driver   Tee-ing up driver I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 2:21 pm

hkhamateur wrote:
Quote :
Hi TKK, 

I did a marking. Both thin and thick tee box green. Basketball
Hope this help. Wink
yeah maybe i can give it a try.. bounce  thanks
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

Tee-ing up driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tee-ing up driver   Tee-ing up driver I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 2:34 pm

chip_munkie wrote:
Hi TKK, 

I thought it's more to do with your body rotation, whether or not you tee-up high or low. As long as when you address the ball, maintain that position on your back swing and down swing and hit the ball on the upswing.Smile 
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Tee-ing up driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tee-ing up driver   Tee-ing up driver I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 3:22 pm

chip_munkie wrote:
Hi TKK, 

For normal tee shots with the driver, I would tee the ball such that about half the ball is above the crown of the driver. I would position the ball off my left instep and aim to hit the ball just after I reach the bottom of my swing i.e. commencement of the up swing to get the ball airborne. However, when driving into headwind, I would tee the ball lower, about 1/4 of the ball above the crown and I would play the ball about two inches nearer to my right foot. This would result in a lower launch that penetrates the headwind better. I do not thik there is a "right" height cos it's individual preference and depends on the type of launch angle that you want to achieve. I would advise against getting too obsess over gatting the "correct" height of the ball.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

Tee-ing up driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tee-ing up driver   Tee-ing up driver I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 4:01 pm

Any bro with long drives care to share how you do it?Superman 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tee-ing up driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tee-ing up driver   Tee-ing up driver I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tee-ing up driver
Page 1 of 1