Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Questions fron Newbie

Go down 
+7
angeldogleslie
enwee
Derek
guangzhao
sob
abadan
fnd.chen
11 posters
AuthorMessage
fnd.chen
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Questions fron Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Questions fron Newbie   Questions fron Newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi, i am new to golf.

Just completed my basic golf 10 lessons at bishan range.
At first, i dislike golf but i have to learn it (boss's strong request).
But now....i feel like skipping work just to go to driving range to practice Smile

I have some questions, appreciate if you can help.
1. Where can i buy good used putter in singapore?
Is cash converter ok? I don't have deep pocket but am looking for a piece which i can use for at least 5 years.

2. My current set (donated by my boss), ping zing 2 orange dot (3,4,5,6,7,8,9 irons, S and W / i don't know the diff.
But most of the time i use W) and Srixon (10.5 driver and 1 fairway?).
Are these ok for beginner?
Are Ping Zing 2 too outdated as said by my coach?
Should i be looking for another used clubs? S and W looks the same, even my coach can't tell, does anyone know the diff?

3. 7iron handle is a bit torn, where can i get it replaced and how much is the estimated cost?

4. 174cm n 72kgs, am hitting 7 iron 130-140m, mostly straight but my driver only 150-170m and 70% go right, 20% go left, less than 10% mixed of go straight, less than 100m or about 200m.
Should i continue to practice to improve my swing first or straight away sign for intermediate lesson?

Please help this newbie.
Thank you.
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: Questions fron Newbie   Questions fron Newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Hi there, alot of sales going on these past few weeks. and i heard another big isetan sale coming up in the middle of the yr.

Golf direct has many unbelievable deals and have lots of different styles of putters to try and choose the one u like most.

Brand new iron sets for under $500 drivers under $200, bags under $100. cheaper than some 2nd hand sets. but only problem is limited stock with limited shaft options.

Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Questions fron Newbie   Questions fron Newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 1:09 pm

Have you been on the golf course yet?
How many games have you played on course?

The answers should help you decide on if you should go for immediate courses.

You can check out our marketplace for used putters or support our 2nd chance project if they have any used putters.

You can get the grip replaces at any clubfitter at your regular range, if not check out our fitter lists.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
guangzhao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Questions fron Newbie   Questions fron Newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi Fnd.Chen,

I'm a newbie as well but I'll try my best to answer your queries...

You can try Far East Shopping Center or you can look at the forum buy and sell section, there are many bargains there.

2. My current set (donated by my boss), ping zing 2 orange dot (3,4,5,6,7,8,9 irons, S and W / i don't know the diff.
If you are to buy a new set, what is the reason? Is it purely cosmetic? If you try another set and like that set, you may want to buy another set... But only if you try it and you prefer that feel.

3. 7iron handle is a bit torn, where can i get it replaced and how much is the estimated cost?
Handles can be changed at most golf fitters and/or golf ranges. Since you go to Bishan range, you can approach the Ping fitting shop there. Should cost less than S$20 for a basic grip.

4. 174cm n 72kgs, am hitting 7 iron 130-140m, mostly straight but my driver only 150-170m and 70% go right, 20% go left, less than 10% mixed of go straight, less than 100m or about 200m.
Should i continue to practice to improve my swing first or straight away sign for intermediate lesson?
7 iron going 130-140 is a good distance. Suggest that you sign up for lessons to improve your swing. Just make sure that the coach is good and that you are comfortable with him.

Hope this helps...
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Questions fron Newbie   Questions fron Newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 3:13 pm

Welcome to golf! Yes it is addictive and there are many things to get addicted to ... enjoy the journey.

I saw a callaway combi set (irons + 2 hybrids) going for $399 at GD. Although graphite shaft (think the label said 75gm), they are relatively firm (i.e. do not feel like rubber bands) and should fit a wide range of beginner and intermediate swings.

Has my vote now for best value for a beginner set if you are looking for new clubs. The 2 hybrids provided with the set are the biggest money savers.

That being said, I have not actually hit any balls with the callaway combi set, just flexed the club in my hands and it actually felt firmer that light steel (86gm approx) shafts on the TM Burner plus set which I purchased for my friend recently at GD.

If you are looking for just irons, think there is a Nike Slingshot used set going at $160 being advertised by another GR member. I have tried those clubs and they are pretty easy to hit. My friend who plays to a 24-28 hcap also found them friendly and forgiving.

That being said, a competent golfer should be able to play a decent round of golf with any type of clubs, even ladies clubs. He/she might not score as well as with his normal equipment, but the possibility of blowing up and shooting 20 strokes more than normal is unlikely.

If your objective is to improve, the lessons are a much better option. However, it is equally important to get some playing time on actual golf courses or executive courses.

If you really hate your current iron set, and it is actually discouraging you from practice, by all means, change it. If not, the fact that you can hit it 130m-140m with a old 7i (which might be equivalent to an 8i loft on some modern clubs) means that there isn't a significant mismatch between the clubs and your swing. In layman's terms, nothing wrong with using them for more lessons and games until your swing is more consistent.

As for putters, I have seen the collection at Cash Converters in Toa Payoh, if you are not too fussy about looks, nothing wrong with picking any of them up at the right price. My advice is to bring a golf ball along and try a couple until you find one that you like the feel of.

Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Questions fron Newbie   Questions fron Newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 3:26 pm

guangzhao wrote:
Hi Fnd.Chen,

You can try Far East Shopping Center or you can look at the forum buy and sell section, there are many bargains there.

If you are to buy a new set, what is the reason? Is it purely cosmetic? If you try another set and like that set, you may want to buy another set... But only if you try it and you prefer that feel.

Handles can be changed at most golf fitters and/or golf ranges. Since you go to Bishan range, you can approach the Ping fitting shop there. Should cost less than S$20 for a basic grip.

7 iron going 130-140 is a good distance. Suggest that you sign up for lessons to improve your swing. Just make sure that the coach is good and that you are comfortable with him.

Hope this helps...
you newbie???? ROFL

@Fnd.Chen,

Most of them already answer your qns, as for drivr, it's one of the most difficult to control clubs in your why not try 5 or 3 wood 1st? Anyway Zing 2 is quite some times back already I would think more than 10 years, if it's steel shaft why not go to bishan borrowed one piece of the current model ping and try it out.
Back to top Go down
angeldogleslie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
angeldogleslie

PostSubject: Re: Questions fron Newbie   Questions fron Newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 4:10 pm

enwee wrote:
guangzhao wrote:
Hi Fnd.Chen,

Hope this helps...
you newbie???? ROFL

Oops, pit-chia lobang liao. hahahahaha lol!
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Questions fron Newbie   Questions fron Newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 4:11 pm

angeldogleslie wrote:
enwee wrote:
guangzhao wrote:
Hi Fnd.Chen,

Hope this helps...
you newbie???? ROFL

ok lah..he newbie in jkt mah....
Back to top Go down
guangzhao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Questions fron Newbie   Questions fron Newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 8:14 pm

enwee wrote:
angeldogleslie wrote:
enwee wrote:
guangzhao wrote:
Hi Fnd.Chen,

Hope this helps...
you newbie???? ROFL

Compared to Enwee I still v new... First game in jkt play 110++
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Questions fron Newbie   Questions fron Newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 8:41 pm

guangzhao wrote:
enwee wrote:
angeldogleslie wrote:
enwee wrote:
guangzhao wrote:
Hi Fnd.Chen,

Hope this helps...
you newbie???? ROFL

Compared to Enwee I still v new... First game in jkt play 110++
Pxi 6.5 leh..i very scared......u sure the caddie wrote the correct score?
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Questions fron Newbie   Questions fron Newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 9:08 pm

enwee wrote:
angeldogleslie wrote:
enwee wrote:
guangzhao wrote:
Hi Fnd.Chen,

Hope this helps...
you newbie???? ROFL

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Slaygay
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Questions fron Newbie   Questions fron Newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 11:03 pm

i think you can get the most bargains in the marketplace.
Back to top Go down
fnd.chen
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Questions fron Newbie   Questions fron Newbie I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 12:11 pm

Dear All, thanks for your responses!
I went to toa payoh cash conventer n found a nike putter, shaped like something that batman will use @185, way out of my budget.
A forum member is selling his white hot odyssey putter, i will settle for that.
My preference is a nike brand of putter actually, but odyssey seems ok.
Again thanks for all your advices.
Back to top Go down
nichjon
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
nichjon

PostSubject: Re: Questions fron Newbie   Questions fron Newbie I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 2:59 pm

I just came from Golf Direct @ ubi and they charge $3 (excluding grip) for re-gripping of clubs.  Not sure if there's anywhere cheaper though as i'm rather new too.
Back to top Go down
nichjon
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
nichjon

PostSubject: Re: Questions fron Newbie   Questions fron Newbie I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 3:03 pm

Oh, just FYI, I just bought a new TM White Smoke putter from there too, only $99 as I'm on a tight budget also.  I saw a few ads here for putters but mostly were quite high end stuff like Scotty and Odyssey, prob a bit too high end and pricey for me too.

Also saw a TM Est 79 going for $79 only at GD-Ubi!
Back to top Go down
shimizu.toruk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
shimizu.toruk

PostSubject: Re: Questions fron Newbie   Questions fron Newbie I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 3:06 pm

I've got a Nike Method 001 to let go at $120 (nego) if anyone's interested. Was thinking of putting up the ad sometime this week...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions fron Newbie   Questions fron Newbie I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Questions fron Newbie
Page 1 of 1