Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..

Go down 
+12
Gofnut
MadScientist
Tiramisu
iuh
pocketace
neutralgolfer
Golf Insiders
flamer0454
kenneth18
93vtec
kevinhwc
chloe.c
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
chloe.c
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. Empty
PostSubject: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 10:54 pm

Hi all, I'm new to this healthy sport.. wanted to take on lessons but where are i go? do i need to own a golf set before i start learning?
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 11:03 pm

Hi Chloe,

There are many coaches around, some of them are in GR as well. Look around and shortlist someone which you are comfortable with.

You need not own a set before you start learning. Usually your coach will be able to spare you one...
Back to top Go down
93vtec
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 11:22 pm

Hi,
You can also talk to the coaches at driving ranges to find out more, and see who you are comfortable with.
Back to top Go down
kenneth18
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kenneth18

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 12:07 am

Hi Chloe,

Welcome to GR forum. Maybe u can tell us where u stay/work/study, so easier for us to recommend.

Anyway, dont imvest in a golf set until u have your lessons n commit to this sports!
Back to top Go down
chloe.c
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 1:24 pm

Thanks all... but how do I look around and talk to them so randomly?? Haha.. go see see look look?

I stay in kallang.. currently working.. 5 days week. So thought sat or sun will be free to take on a sports I have interest in..
Back to top Go down
flamer0454
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
flamer0454

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 1:28 pm

i reckon many members here will be keen to advise you… you will be in good hands…
Back to top Go down
Golf Insiders
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Golf Insiders

Location : 11 Pasir Ris Farmway 1, Aquafauna Centre, Singapore 519355

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 3:51 am

I saw a deal on Groupon, something like $168 for 11 hours of lessons. Would have bought it if they were not so far away. You can try to check that out but I'm not too sure how good they are.

I picked up golf for two months now and it wasn't until two days ago that I found out I was hitting my irons wrongly Exclamation Really need to get some lessons soon lol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.golf-insiders.com.sg/about-us/
chloe.c
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 1:37 pm

Did you go for any lessons before? I only tried playing once.. outta fun kind.. wanted to learn it proper..=)
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 1:53 pm

You stay Kallang, can go MBGC range to look for a coach there... nearest.
Back to top Go down
Golf Insiders
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Golf Insiders

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 2:13 pm

I din go for lessons yet cos I have some experienced people helping me start out...but I want to get proper lessons and go on the course soon...On the lookout for a suitable coach.

Ya I also go to MBGC, NSRCC and Punggol range to practice and the pros there always seem to be eyeing me as a potential customer. My newbie swing must be so obvious lol
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 2:35 pm

Talk to different pros at different driving range to see which ones you can develop a rapport
Some like the hokkien-Peng type, some prefer locals, some prefer foreign ones, some work better with pros who can articulate swing concepts, etc.

Some of these pro offer a free analysis and discuss how they can structure the lesson for you. Feel free to shop around. As in any profession, there are good and bad ones. Pick one that you feel works best for your style of learning.
Back to top Go down
iuh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
iuh

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 2:36 pm

Golf Insiders wrote:
I saw a deal on Groupon, something like $168 for 11 hours of lessons. Would have bought it if they were not so far away. You can try to check that out but I'm not too sure how good they are.

I picked up golf for two months now and it wasn't until two days ago that I found out I was hitting my irons wrongly Exclamation Really need to get some lessons soon lol.

this deal is ok if you need basic introduction to golf.

6 pax to a coach if i remember correctly. Smile
Back to top Go down
Tiramisu
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Tiramisu

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 2:43 pm

Although Im a non golfer, upon seeing my son learning and hearing his pro's scolding. its better to find a pro to teach you. Like my son he has many bad habits after 2 yrs he corrected and improved but still have a few need to tune. What pocketace shared is true, find a pro at yr comfort. For my son, im happy with his firm and strict pro. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 4:10 pm

Actually beginner course is quite straight forward, learn grip, stance, how to swing and the rest is practice. Down the line, after 1 year or less, you still need a coach again to fine tune again. At this time, would recommend look for a PGA coach.

Back to top Go down
Golf Insiders
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Golf Insiders

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 4:21 pm

Wish I had a mom like Tiramisu...
Back to top Go down
MadScientist
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Golf Insiders wrote:

I did that.

Took lessons at Bt Batok
Pc in two months
Handicap another two more

Smile
Back to top Go down
Golf Insiders
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Golf Insiders

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 4:42 pm

MadScientist wrote:
Golf Insiders wrote:

I did that.

Took lessons at Bt Batok
Pc in two months

Smile

Sounds like u enjoyed it...it's just too far for me, I stay Tampines Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
iuh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
iuh

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 4:46 pm

neutralgolfer wrote:
Actually beginner course is quite straight forward, learn grip, stance, how to swing and the rest is practice. Down the line, after 1 year or less, you still need a coach again to fine tune again. At this time, would recommend look for a PGA coach.

yup yup

i did that too. only after my 2nd set of lessons at mbgc, i realised, so many things that i did/learned/practise previously..were not that right.. Suspect
Back to top Go down
iuh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
iuh

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 4:50 pm

MadScientist wrote:
Golf Insiders wrote:

I did that.

Took lessons at Bt Batok
Pc in two months

Smile

wow, great stuff.

i am still working on it on getting hcp. 2months definitely a no no for me
Back to top Go down
Tiramisu
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Tiramisu

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Golf Insiders wrote:
Wish I had a mom like Tiramisu...

Embarassed Thanks. when you golfer got chance to meet my cheeky son, please let him know!! Smile
Back to top Go down
chloe.c
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 1:32 pm

Haha.. so cool to have supportive parents..
Where's mbgc... :p
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 2:06 pm

Just google "mbgc" and you should be able to find it.
Back to top Go down
ahhhling
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 11:38 pm

iuh wrote:
neutralgolfer wrote:

yup yup

i did that too. only after my 2nd set of lessons at mbgc, i realised, so many things that i did/learned/practise previously..were not that right.. Suspect

Was your coach at MBGC good? Can share the name?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/ahhhling
ahhhling
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 11:39 pm

You can also try Bishan or Toa Payoh. Think these 2 are quite close to you too. In any case, I have heard that there are a couple of very good coaches at Marina Bay Golf Course (MBGC). You can seriously consider there.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/ahhhling
iuh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
iuh

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 11:43 pm

ahhhling wrote:
iuh wrote:
neutralgolfer wrote:

yup yup

Was your coach at MBGC good? Can share the name?

My coach was Paul Creasey. But he left mbgc last month.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..   New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed.. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to golf! Advices and suggestions needed..
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next