Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hello guys!

Go down 
+6
boskie85
enwee
joshyo
jeffman88
sim.t.lim
merceid
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
merceid
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 11:20 am

Good day guys. I'm new to golf and started having lessons at keppel about 4 months back. I'm left with two lessons and I still can't hit the small little white balls. It's a very frustrating game but I'm getting hook on already. Been going to the range at least twice in between lessons. Have already accepted I'm not talented and need hard work. Damn. Jealous ofthose ttalented guys.
I'm currently using mp 58 nspro sr. Thinking of trading in my set for a more forgiving beginner's set. Any recommendations or should i persevere on with my current set of irons. Also looking for a beginners driver.

Hope to meet some guys here. Cheers
Back to top Go down
sim.t.lim
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
sim.t.lim

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi Merceid, welcome to the mini ball world.
take your time, just go to range more often and train harder, u cant just depend on the lessons.
Start with 7 or 8 iron first. Don rush into getting new set.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 2:36 pm

hi merceid welcome welcome welcome to the Republic.. if i am not wrong MP58s are blades http://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/mizuno_mp-58_iron_review and a set of cavity-backs would be more forgiving n dfinitely easier to hit with. Why dont you borrow a cavity back iron7 from ur coach or get a secondhand one and try and feel the difference.
Back to top Go down
joshyo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
joshyo

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 2:40 pm

I'll be more than happy to trade you my jpx800 set for ur mp58s lol!

Welcome to GR!

Anw, just stick to your current irons. Those are good but probably a little hard to handle at this stage. Good training u will get. As for driver. I think the new titleist 913 D2 should be good. Happy hunting.
Back to top Go down
merceid
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 7:05 am

sim.t.lim wrote:
Hi Merceid, welcome to the mini ball world.
take your time, just go to range more often and train harder, u cant just depend on the lessons.
Start with 7 or 8 iron first. Don rush into getting new set.

Thanks! Yeah.. been practising with the 7 iron. Hope ill be able to go on course soon to truely enjoy the game.
Back to top Go down
merceid
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 7:12 am

jeffman88 wrote:
hi merceid welcome welcome welcome to the Republic.. if i am not wrong MP58s are blades http://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/mizuno_mp-58_iron_review and a set of cavity-backs would be more forgiving n dfinitely easier to hit with. Why dont you borrow a cavity back iron7 from ur coach or get a secondhand one and try and feel the difference.

Seems like the mp 58 is for a seasoned player. Yep, ive tried my mates irons, the ones with the cavity back. It seems to be more accomodating..but i also realise that the mp 58 club face is smaller than norm. So not sure if its the cavity back or the bigger surface area.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
merceid
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 7:20 am

joshyo wrote:
I'll be more than happy to trade you my jpx800 set for ur mp58s lol!

Welcome to GR!

Anw, just stick to your current irons. Those are good but probably a little hard to handle at this stage. Good training u will get. As for driver. I think the new titleist 913 D2 should be good. Happy hunting.

You are not the only one! Ive recevied pm asking for trades. Haha! Seems like i got a pretty awesome set of club, maybe too good for myself.
The other big part of just hitting the golf ball is shopping for golf stuff! Its addictive. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 7:41 am

Mp58 is a nice set of clubs but definitely not as forgiving as those cavity back clubs. It's up to you, whether you want to change or not. As for your driver no need to rush in to get one of the latest in the mkt. go around trying fren's and demo, the long stick is one of the hardest stick to handle in the bag but a lot of people like to pull this out hole in hole out. Anyway if you really want a driver, some of the bros here got very good deals around. If not go golf bargain, so of the deals there are a steal.
Back to top Go down
boskie85
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 8:44 am

hello. welcome to golf!
Back to top Go down
merceid
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 8:58 am

enwee wrote:
Mp58 is a nice set of clubs but definitely not as forgiving as those cavity back clubs. It's up to you, whether you want to change or not. As for your driver no need to rush in to get one of the latest in the mkt. go around trying fren's and demo, the long stick is one of the hardest stick to handle in the bag but a lot of people like to pull this out hole in hole out. Anyway if you really want a driver, some of the bros here got very good deals around. If not go golf bargain, so of the deals there are a steal.

Thanks for the advice. Do muscle back clubs usually have smaller club face?
I read online and found that ping k15 and callaway ftiq are forgiving for beginners. Do local shops still carry these drivers ? Like you mentioned i will not be going for the latest model. Money can be better spend at lessons I guess.
Back to top Go down
charlesho
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
charlesho

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 9:01 am

Hi... welcome to the forum... seems like u have some very nice iron there...

From what I know the set you r holding is for mid hcp player... it will be easier if you start off with a game improvement irons which help to boost confidence and provide more fun factor to the game... you can check you golf digest web to see which few are highly recommended and you can try them out to see which suits u...

For driver... ah... something we all love and but also giving us the most heart ache... u can try maruman, they do produce some nice n forgiving driver... but no rush... u can always tee off with an iron first...

Enjoy your journey of golf... one that you will find it fun and lasting...
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 9:02 am

merceid wrote:
enwee wrote:

I read online and found that ping k15 and callaway ftiq are forgiving for beginners. Do local shops still carry these drivers ? Like you mentioned i will not be going for the latest model. Money can be better spend at lessons I guess.
If u want to buy callaway, go golf bargain lah. They are clearing the old model, but I would recommend FT9 J Spec
Back to top Go down
merceid
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 9:05 am

boskie85 wrote:
hello. welcome to golf!

Thanks! Hope you are enjoying your golf as much as I'm enjoying struggling with it.
Back to top Go down
merceid
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 2:44 pm

charlesho wrote:
Hi... welcome to the forum... seems like u have some very nice iron there...

From what I know the set you r holding is for mid hcp player... it will be easier if you start off with a game improvement irons which help to boost confidence and provide more fun factor to the game... you can check you golf digest web to see which few are highly recommended and you can try them out to see which suits u...

For driver... ah... something we all love and but also giving us the most heart ache... u can try maruman, they do produce some nice n forgiving driver... but no rush... u can always tee off with an iron first...

Enjoy your journey of golf... one that you will find it fun and lasting...

Thanks for the info. Didn't know that there are irons that are labelled as game improvement irons. There are also super game improvement irons.

More reading and asking around before deciding. But I'm tilting towards trading in my set for a more forgiving set. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
merceid
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 2:48 pm

enwee wrote:
merceid wrote:
enwee wrote:

If u want to buy callaway, go golf bargain lah. They are clearing the old model, but I would recommend FT9 J Spec

Golf bargain at suntec? Will go walk walk check out. What the difference between Japanese and us spec?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 4:53 pm

merceid wrote:
enwee wrote:
merceid wrote:
enwee wrote:

Golf bargain at suntec? Will go walk walk check out. What the difference between Japanese and us spec?
Yes, J spec is generally lighter shaft.
Back to top Go down
merceid
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 2:24 pm

enwee wrote:
merceid wrote:
enwee wrote:
merceid wrote:
enwee wrote:

Yes, J spec is generally lighter shaft.

ah okay,thanks. will start shopping!
Back to top Go down
merceid
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 4:52 pm

also guys may I ask a very fundamental question. my kaki is saying that i might be bending slight too much..
I'm almost 1.9m tall. would you guys recommended to extend the club's shaft? again, angmos are this tall eh?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 4:59 pm

merceid wrote:
also guys may I ask a very fundamental question. my kaki is saying that i might be bending slight too much..
I'm almost 1.9m tall. would you guys recommended to extend the club's shaft? again, angmos are this tall eh?
Well only one can answer your qns is your coach or fitter. IMHO, don't extend your clubs.
Back to top Go down
thane
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 2:04 pm

HELLO HELLO WELCIME! Smile:
Back to top Go down
merceid
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 10:10 am

thane wrote:
HELLO HELLO WELCIME! Smile:

Hello hello thanks!
Back to top Go down
cueball
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 12:10 pm

Hi welcome. let me know if you want to play at keppel someday. have my pc but no handicap, looking to take it by 2013! been on hold for about a decade already.
Back to top Go down
sazalirazak
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 5:41 pm

I have no Hcap or PC, can play at Keppel?
Back to top Go down
merceid
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 1:08 pm

enwee wrote:
merceid wrote:
Well only one can answer your qns is your coach or fitter. IMHO, don't extend your clubs.

Thanks for the advice . Will probably go for club fitting when I'm more consistent.
Back to top Go down
merceid
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 2:47 pm

cueball wrote:
Hi welcome. let me know if you want to play at keppel someday. have my pc but no handicap, looking to take it by 2013! been on hold for about a decade already.

Would like to but have not gotten my pc. Probably in 2 months time or at least I hope.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hello guys!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello guys!    Hello guys!  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello guys!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next