Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Small cc driver

Go down 
+3
DRGjr72
iron eagle
weesern
7 posters
AuthorMessage
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

Small cc driver Empty
PostSubject: Small cc driver   Small cc driver I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 12:51 am

Anyone find playing a smaller cc driver easier and better the the usual 460 drivers?
Back to top Go down
iron eagle
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Small cc driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Small cc driver   Small cc driver I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 9:49 am

my best driver was a Maruman Metabio 380cc driver as far as I can remember
it hit the furthest compaered to my current 460cc.
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

Small cc driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Small cc driver   Small cc driver I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 10:39 am

I recently read some reviews on various spots throughout the interwebs and there are quite a few good performing smaller CC heads (Yonex, TM, Callaway, Nike, etc.) that appear to be easier to handle then some in the past. I think easier and better are subjective to the individual. I have used some 460 CC drivers that are amazing, others that are not so good. I have also used smaller headed drivers that are really good, and some that are not as good. If I am swinging well and playing quite a bit, the smaller headed driver is great, but when I am not playing as frequently and my swing is a little off, it is nice to have that little bit of forgiveness.

I think the main problem with the smaller heads for higher handicaps is sacrificing some of the forgiveness when you move to the more compact head. There are benefits, and many have seen lower spin rates and longer drives. But many have also experience some issues when the sweet spot is missed, as mishits were slightly further off line and shorter. Maybe it is club, maybe it is the person swinging it, I don't know just going off what I read.

I do think there is something to hitting with a smaller head, as it does require you to be more precise with your swing if you want the club to perform to its potential. Many of the high MOI drivers allow people to get away with poor swings (as they are designed to do) and may actually hurt their game more than help, at least in the long run.

It is akin to playing blades versus cavity backs versus super game improvement clubs. There are pros and cons to each and it really depends on the skill of the golfer and how much they want to play and practice. Playing with blades will force you to work on your swing until it is good enough to make those clubs perform to their potential. Conversely with super game improvement clubs you might not have to work as hard to get them to work. Cavity backs tend to fall somewhere in the middle, depending on the golfer.

Back to top Go down
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Small cc driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Small cc driver   Small cc driver I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 3:11 pm

I've always preferred smaller driver heads.... Laughing

Somehow it just felt easier to swing and control and the stability at impact is so much better.

Among my golf mates, I'm the last to embrace a 460cc driver. I still use my old R510TP and Titleist 975D once a while when my swing is behaving. Smile

When my driver swing gets really really cranky, I "punish" myself by taking my Hiro Honma Persimmon Wood to the range to "re-calibrate" my rhythm and contact. So far it has never failed to straighten me out.

It's just the attention I need to deal with whenever I bring "her" out.... Razz

Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

Small cc driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Small cc driver   Small cc driver I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 11:16 pm

I just bought a 975d that comes with 70g stiff true temper graphite. Not sure if its the shaft or the head, I seems to hit it longer with a nice trajectory. Can really tell if I miss on heel or toe.
Back to top Go down
Dstruc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Dstruc

Small cc driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Small cc driver   Small cc driver I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 12:29 pm

Just to share...
I have always been using 460 drivers and been struggling with the excessive spins (data on flightscope - it can go up to 5000plus), due to my swing. It wasn't fun watching my balls 'back' spinning upwards (screw terih) in the air instead of forward... unless I hit it 'well' (god knows how i did it), most of the time I usually lose lots of distance.

I have gone for coaching, changed a few shafts and it didn't solved my concern. I decided to popped by Sigma golf months back, tried all the available demo shafts there, but still didn't manage to reduce my ball spin (to an ideal rate). After spending almost 6hours (over few sessions) with Sebas on my driver, he finally suggested me to go for a smaller driver with deep face and a low spin shaft. (Changing driver head was never my intention, I actually shared with Sebas from the start I did not want to spend too much)

Days later, our dear friend called me, "I have fitted a driver according to what you will need, just come and try." The rest is history....

I'm now driving at least 20m more with the 390cc Miura driver with a low spin shaft. Thanks Sigma One.

Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

Small cc driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Small cc driver   Small cc driver I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 12:51 pm

Miura driver? Interesting. What shaft?
Back to top Go down
Dstruc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Dstruc

Small cc driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Small cc driver   Small cc driver I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 1:02 pm

Diamana X bro
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

Small cc driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Small cc driver   Small cc driver I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 1:56 pm

How long are you driving with this new combo now?
Back to top Go down
Dstruc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Dstruc

Small cc driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Small cc driver   Small cc driver I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 2:36 pm

Well, let's not get into numbers here bro... haha
I would just say I'm pleased with the ability to match the distance of some guys who are twice my build. lol...

Distance is just the result of it, what's important is I'm able to release the club better. My swing speed seems to have increased, lower ball spin (ball seems to be penetrating even on a high launch) and better smash factor (probably because of the deep face...haha).

Interested Lee? lol...
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

Small cc driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Small cc driver   Small cc driver I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 6:01 pm

Dstruc wrote:
Well, let's not get into numbers here bro... haha
I would just say I'm pleased with the ability to match the distance of some guys who are twice my build. lol...

Distance is just the result of it, what's important is I'm able to release the club better. My swing speed seems to have increased, lower ball spin (ball seems to be penetrating even on a high launch) and better smash factor (probably because of the deep face...haha).

Interested Lee? lol...

Mmmm, mmmm! Deliciously tantalising.

Very happy to hear of your positive results.

And I was just testing to see whether I was the only who found this site particularly sensitive to distance. Wink

At circa 5000 rpm, and judging from the X flex in the rest of your clubs, you are swinging it powerfully, I'm guessing above 100 mph definitely, then anything that brings the spin down closer to 2000-3000 rpm thereabouts will yield tremendous gains in distance.

But as tempting as your experience is, I must persevere with my current bag setup for the moment. Am getting good output from working on the swing so far so that must suffice for now. Thank you for sharing.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Small cc driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Small cc driver   Small cc driver I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 9:58 pm

What is your opinion of this statement? Got it fm some where else

I also prefer the smaller club heads. Everyone is raving about the hybrid woods that are replacing three irons. Golfers rave about how easy the hybrids are to hit. The heads are SMALL and have a low center of gravity. In contrast the new Drivers have a head the size of a basketball and golfers wonder why they can’t square it up. I recommend the 395cc head as the largest acceptable size, not the 460cc style which is actually more difficult to square up at impact.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Small cc driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Small cc driver   Small cc driver I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Small cc driver
Page 1 of 1