Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...

Go down 
+14
TheFocalPoint
chillipadi
Ssquirrel
ironfist
tronos
X-Man
Technospaz
nientsu
Duval_S
bryantee84
mervyntan
missmoon
sunny
Khorkar
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
joleelyn

MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 10:01 am

Ditto.

Like I said. Learning should be fun. Or at least not to the extent of burning days and nights cramming for stupid tests that are never-ending.. what's up with that anyways...

labels like recess week, school HOLIDAYS... whatever man. the kids are still frantically trying to complete HOMEWORK.. Crazy.

We are all humans, we do need a break (a real break. the 'don't disturb me-kind of break) from time to time. I feel that it applies to both work and studies, you'll become more efficient too..
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 10:05 am

The problem is that the adults have tried to make living easier (e.g. more automated functions, longer lives, faster travel etc.) As a result of which, the younger generation have to learn more to keep up.

It's a vicious cycle.
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 10:06 am

Technospaz wrote:
The problem is that the adults have tried to make living easier (e.g. more automated functions, longer lives, faster travel etc.) As a result of which, the younger generation have to learn more to keep up.

It's a vicious cycle.

u wanna walk to work? Laughing
Back to top Go down
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
joleelyn

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 10:07 am

poor things...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 10:08 am

chocoman wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

It's a vicious cycle.

u wanna walk to work? Laughing

Nope. I don't. But I don't think I need to strive towards the ability to teleport to work, which is what the world is heading too.
Back to top Go down
TheFocalPoint
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
TheFocalPoint

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 10:11 am

Like i always say,

If you cannot take the heat, you might wanna stay out of the kitchen. Smile
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 10:12 am

TheFocalPoint wrote:
Like i always say,

Is that what you're going to tell your kids (or tell your kids now if you already have kids)?
Back to top Go down
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
joleelyn

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 10:14 am

But why cant they just leave the 12yr olds alone... start in sec school or something. I mean at the very least you should let them have a decent childhood right.

I find it heart breaking to see young children struggling with school and labelled stupid just because they cannot get 4 distinctions.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 10:16 am

joleelyn wrote:
But why cant they just leave the 12yr olds alone... start in sec school or something. I mean at the very least you should let them have a decent childhood right.

I find it heart breaking to see young children struggling with school and labelled stupid just because they cannot get 4 distinctions.

Good point.

And, people are profiting from this. Tuition centers (private and public) are sprouting out all over. Education has become a huge $$ business. Who loses in the end? The kids.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 10:17 am

Technospaz wrote:
I was at McDees the other day and saw several schoolkids studying frantically away. They had really thick textbooks and were scribbling madly. I could see the tension in their faces. This made me realize 3 things:

1. I'm glad to be out of school.
2. I think we barely apply 10% of what we learn in school in our daily working lives.
3. I feel sorry for the next generation as I think studying is going to get harder and more stressful.

LOL to think we use to coast thru with cramming one year's worth of study in one night and scoring an occasional high score on the way.

I was volunteering to tuition English to some primary 4 & 5 students and the standard definitely have increased. Many students simply cannot cope. It is really the separation of the classes

BTW my english sucks....Sad
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 10:23 am

Hi Bro-TechnoPZ,
Actually I as parent felt pressured , maybe even more ...... with the look of things, here are what I conclude:

1. Parents will be affected financially....with the incrasing demand...means more tutiion fees and 21year exam series
2. Parents have to take more leave to help the students...fetch here for maths tution, fetch there for angmoh tution etc etc
3. Parents will have to illuminate Exam like behaviour...thus potentially impacting performance at work and that will result in worst case GDP drop....sigh
4. More and more parents will buy all sort of refernece books...so driving pricing level up...causing the OPEX of a typical family to increase....meaning to me, maybe even less time to go range (though I hardly go range)
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 10:29 am

My baby boy is due next Feb... I'm getting very worried.
Back to top Go down
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
joleelyn

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 10:37 am

Dont get me wrong. I'm fully for the idea that we should strive for the better. But my argument is based on the common saying "quality not quantity".

I thank god for supprtive parents. T... support your kid in what he wants to do. My parents did that. And I'm sooo grateful for it. Looking back, I did pull through school and also accomplish what many kids cannot. And I'm very proud to also say that I definitely would not have done it without my parents.

Notice that I never thank my teacher. Nor my School(s). No offence. But that was my experience.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 11:20 am

joleelyn wrote:
Dont get me wrong. I'm fully for the idea that we should strive for the better. But my argument is based on the common saying "quality not quantity".

I thank god for supprtive parents. T... support your kid in what he wants to do. My parents did that. And I'm sooo grateful for it. Looking back, I did pull through school and also accomplish what many kids cannot. And I'm very proud to also say that I definitely would not have done it without my parents.

Notice that I never thank my teacher. Nor my School(s). No offence. But that was my experience.

Hear Hear!
Back to top Go down
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
joleelyn

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 11:37 am

of course don't support him doing illegal things la.. LOL... got limitations de.
Back to top Go down
TheFocalPoint
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
TheFocalPoint

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 12:02 pm

Technospaz wrote:
TheFocalPoint wrote:
Like i always say,

Is that what you're going to tell your kids (or tell your kids now if you already have kids)?

Technospaz, that quote was directed at parents.

I always believe and tell my kids that no one owes them a living.. they must work hard for what they want in life.

To the parents, i tell them that this is the system in Singapore. We cannot and don't have the authority to change the system. It's here to stay, and will probably get tougher in years to come.

So again, to these parents, i'd say : If you cannot take the heat, get out of the kitchen..
heh heh heh,..

Even if i HAD kids, they will never study here in Singapore.. that's a given.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 4:07 pm

To FocalPoint,

I have to disagree with you on several points: -

1. Although algebra is a method that is only taught in secondary school, it doesn't mean smarter kids can't learn way in advance and use it in their PSLE exams. Some children are more gifted and their learning abilities are much faster than their peers. Why only restrict to the current syllabus in order to award full marks?

2. You are lucky that you can afford to send your kids (if you had kids that is) overseas for their education in their early age but what about those poor parents who can't afford? How can we stay away from the only kitchen availabe to us? Does it mean we have to burn ourselves to death?

3. You said you always tell your kids..... but you also said if you HAD kids. So do you have kids or not? lol!

Not trying to start a war here but just to discuss objectively, so hopefully you won't get offended.

To all others,

I do understand the intentions of MOE but I feel that many of our school teachers are lacking in the ability to articulate and teach. If you look that any school in Singapore, the not so bright classes almost usually end up with lousy teachers, which make the students in those classes falling even behind schedule. That is also why we have more and more tuition centres on the island.

Last edited by nutty88 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 4:16 pm

One simple math question for all.

For every 3 sweet wrappers, one can exchange for another sweet. If I buy 20 sweets, how many sweets can I get in total?
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 4:27 pm

is the answer 29?
Back to top Go down
Fishor
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Fishor

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 4:30 pm

29?
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 4:36 pm

That is a non thinking kid. A thinking kid gets exactly 30
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 4:46 pm

Sad ah crap yeah you're right it's 30. can't believe i got that wrong.. oh well this would've probably been 2 marks down the drain. not the end of the world. haha
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 5:48 pm

sorry all did not show their working out of the solution, just give answer so all get ZERO marks
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 6:12 pm

Sad i complain to mommy..
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 7:01 pm

shit....this is unfair.....i don recall my 25years assessment paper has this question!!!...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...   MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent... - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MOE's joke to PSLE's student and their Parent...
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next