Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber

Go down 
+5
jtek
scottycollector
danielleecm
botak
DGman
9 posters
AuthorMessage
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber Empty
PostSubject: The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber   The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 10:32 am

everyone knows MM is fussy with his equipment but he is always trying new stuff just to satisfy himself, he is not missing anything out there. that's him.

so during the Yonex launch at BFG, besides mingling with the crowd, he was trying out Atiwit's 0 iron with a SF i99. he called me the next day and says he likes the shaft and has an idea. needless to say, i completed the sentence for him. you want the SF in your spare set right?

so after weeks on the road, he came by this week and handed me his spare set. we built a 3 and 4 iron with the SF i95 and the 9 and PW in the i110 cw for trial. after a session on the range, he was so pumped up and happy with the performance that he wants it in the irons. he was even prepared to take a picture with the SF, my request and we agreed on tour white Yonex covers as batter trade.

his irons were special cos no nobody will try building it this way. i used all tapered 3 irons shafts and have them tipped to length and tapered the tip using a sand belt. the reason was i wanted a particular weight and flex in the shafts and we choose just 6 shafts from a batch of 20+ to get what we wanted. he was really puzzled why and how we did it and kept asking Razel cos i refused to tell him. it was fun and the new set of irons will be used today at Sentosa where Mardan partner Zaw Moe to play Chih Bing and Angelo Que. its a oldie versus pop match.

hopefully we can get some pictures to share soon...by shaft count, here're some of the local pros using the SF.

MM - from KBS Tour Stiff to i95 and i110 stiff
Marc Kawasoe - from DG X100 to i95 stiff
Sam Gopal - from NS Pro S to I85 R
Lim Kian Boon - from KBS Tour to i95 stiff
Malek Talib - from DG to i95 stiff
Justin Han - in hybrid i85 stiff
Russell Lim - in hybrid i85 stiff

oh i forgot...we had MM bring his bag so that we can check which putter he is using. true to his word, he has not changed putter. lets wish him luck for his serious game today.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
botak
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
botak

PostSubject: Re: The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber   The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 12:42 pm

Picture says a thousand words... so, where the pic??

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
danielleecm
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
danielleecm

PostSubject: Re: The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber   The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 2:45 pm

yes tried the i95 once and the feel was really great. still cant get it off my mind...it will be my next shaft of choice...
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber   The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 2:55 pm

yep me too. feels really smooth and solid. will definitely get them once my current irons have served their time
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber   The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 10:07 pm

wanted to show pictures but we did not take any last night...but guess what, our dear MM love the shaft so much that he wants them in his tournament set and not the spare set.

thats the reason why we have to cancel the class today and have to worked at extracting both set of heads and installing the Steel Fiber into his current tournament blades.

and finally the pictures....

the MM was marked on his tournament set so that there will be no mistakes.

The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber 7138838371_21a9ce7a24_z

the unmistakable victory grips. M58 for those who have attended club making classes.

The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber 6992756006_7deeefa951_z

the finished article...

The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber 6992755924_8ea5d6f520_z

this set will make its debut at the Japan Tour - PGA Championship Nissin Cup 2012 next week.

DGman
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber   The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 10:44 pm

Hi DGman, any indication how much the damage to convert 4-P to SF? Including new grip.

Also, should our P be change or we should keep P same shaft as our wedges?
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber   The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 11:14 pm

lets say its cheaper than the new PXi...depending on your complication of work to be done, it starts from $85. complication refers to head extraction, loft and lie adjustments, saving grips for reuse, etc.

best you bring in your set to get a quote.

DGman
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber   The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 11:27 pm

Okie... Busy work schedule now... Will drop by when workload lessen... Smile
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber   The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 12:10 am

danielleecm wrote:
yes tried the i95 once and the feel was really great. still cant get it off my mind...it will be my next shaft of choice...

Ok bro dan, i ll await upon yr upgrade n take over yr Tour Concept shaft. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
danielleecm
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
danielleecm

PostSubject: Re: The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber   The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 6:51 am

hkhamateur wrote:
danielleecm wrote:

Ok bro dan, i ll await upon yr upgrade n take over yr Tour Concept shaft. Very Happy

Ok can no problem
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber   The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 8:53 am

Was witnessing the change yesterday. Its so amazing that MM can even tell the difference of 1 swing weight by just holding and hitting the club. Really deserves the No.1 title!
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber   The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 9:13 am

Eric

what considerations the pros take when choosing between i95 or Player's Spec i99? MM liked Atiwit's i99 but decided on i95. The other pros chose i95 as well.

You mentioned i95 is more robust, I take it as it's stiffer/got less dampening features.

Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber   The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 9:33 am

its to do with playability. the butt and tip stiffness of the i95 is more apparent than the i-99. the i99 is a piece of shaft engineering marvel, hence the price tag. its great for most players but for those like MM and the pros, they like more variations in their shots.

MM was describing how when he hit it and the shot does the 3 feet slight fade that he wants. its that precise but he is unlikely to get that control with the i99 which tend to make life easier for most players.

we have about 6 years experience working with the SF range and the owner Chris Hileary and i share the shaft profiles, shaft step data base, weight and flex changes on different stepping profiles. hence our confidence to built an entire set from a 3 iron shaft.

that is an art itself...but one has to know the shaft characteristic and profile well to be able to do so.

DGman
Back to top Go down
maslie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
maslie

PostSubject: Re: The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber   The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 4:17 pm

hi DG,

Just currious here, why use all 3i while i saw i95 have the one in "cw"? just to maintain certain torque and flex? are all pro demanding that much? thanks
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber   The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 9:44 pm

No not all pros are super sensitive. for MM we wanted to make sure we cover his scoring clubs well and i feel that the i110 will do better for him given the way he likes to work the ball especially on the high and low fades.

feedback from Marc and Sam have been very good too. in fact stocks arrived today and from the looks of things it may not last long.

heres a text from Marc Kawasoe to BFG.....

"Shafts are good! i love the ball flight that i am getting out of them. Very easy to handle and still able to shape the shots that i want to play. Has the stability of steel but easy to manage like graphite. i am considering changing my wedges as well."

in face we had some of his kakis coming by today to make switch from NS pro to the i80 and I95.

Cheers and for those who wants to test out the SF, please come and try them at BFG BM or Keppel.

DGman

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber   The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The cycle is completed - Singapore #1 now on Steel Fiber
Page 1 of 1