Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to build one's credibility in an online forum

Go down 
+9
CoRN
duffader
alvin7379
chocoman
Technospaz
pushslice
ljlow
mUAr_cHEe
Duval_S
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

How to build one's credibility in an online forum Empty
PostSubject: How to build one's credibility in an online forum   How to build one's credibility in an online forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 12:36 pm

Long long time ago, no such thing as online....meet face to face.

Nowadays...we have socio-media..or whatever one calls it

I for one, was quite hesitant to be part of it coz really don know how to be part of it..after a period of 16 months or so....here are my learnings which I wil like to share in this forum:

Very important....be open minded....many times, many ppl still reluctant to give me strokes even if I am a seasoned beginner....but I tahan and looooonnnnnn

In any society , there are vocal ones and there are prominent ones..get to know them and also, don forget the rest. Joining the games is one best way..

Be ready to give out opinions even if many said mine is totally retarded....' how can a seasoned beginner give tips!!!'.....but be more ready to receive comments about what you dish out

I find this most relevant ....you might want to check this out

http://www.mwt.net/~bionorse/Student%20council%20poem.htm

Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: How to build one's credibility in an online forum   How to build one's credibility in an online forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 1:09 pm

chey. u copy and paste from elsewhere!
Back to top Go down
ljlow
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to build one's credibility in an online forum   How to build one's credibility in an online forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 2:38 pm

Hi Bros,
Duval, MuarChee, pushslice...thanks for all the comments... Smile
when i first join GR, if the memory didnt fail me, i was introduced to Duval @BFG Keppel... (correct me if i'm wrong)

I'm just someone who do not wish to drag anyone's game...and with shy quiet character who dunno how to social with ppl...and need a longer time to break ice...

I get to know GRians whom we become regular kakis...
I made new friends whom we discuss often about the technique and I learn from...
I played in events with fellow GRians, whom i admire their swings and drives...
I get to chat with GRians at range who looks so familiar coz always see their photos online...
I enjoy the forum and it changes my game...

But when a sincere comment is treated with a locked thread, I guess I gotten the message...
Good thing wont last long, enjoy while you can... Smile
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: How to build one's credibility in an online forum   How to build one's credibility in an online forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 2:52 pm

bro, dun take it wrongly lah, that lexus thread was locked/removed so it wont continue. thus bro mulligan gets the same treatment as you did. Difference is you weren't informed on the post itself. Unfortunate but shit happens lah Wink (unless you are referring to another thread that I dont know...)

but it is small matters. bygone already.

now no need to feel paiseh or anything, just join any activities. You go hang out at Laguna right? I think many members range there too, GolFool, Begbie, Nientsu, Mloy including me on some weekend morning.. You need some help from the mods, just PM them. Easier if you know them.

if you already know duval...do NOT agree to giving him strokes, unless you play below 84 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to build one's credibility in an online forum   How to build one's credibility in an online forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 3:06 pm

@ Pushslice: you also need to sign NDA just like Techno and Eiji
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: How to build one's credibility in an online forum   How to build one's credibility in an online forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 3:12 pm

Duval_S wrote:

Quote from Colonel Jessup aka Jack Nicholson:

YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!

Laughing
Back to top Go down
ljlow
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to build one's credibility in an online forum   How to build one's credibility in an online forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 3:17 pm

Duval_S wrote:
no NDA needed, traces everywhere in forum...Smile

i always aircon at TG... haha...
dun have a fix timing though... but tonight going down...Smile
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How to build one's credibility in an online forum   How to build one's credibility in an online forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 3:31 pm

How to build one's credibility?

Simple:

1. If you can play golf, don't pretend. No one will fault you if you're a good golfer BUT everyone will despise you if you try to hustle your way around.

2. If you can't play golf, don't be shy to try. Golf is for everyone. Some are great golfers, some are so-so, some are just born to play Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2012 on the PS3. But the fun in the game is meeting people, making friends and laughing over drinks and chicken wings Smile

3. Show your face. Don't be scared. No one is going to punch you (unless you fall into #1 above). People associate others by face. I hate to be introduced by nick... my online persona is separate from the real me. (If I played golf as well as I posted, I would be a one-man PGA)

4. Post. The more you post (in moderation, of couse), the more people know you. I know what I said in #3 above but given that we all must start from somewhere, making your presence known on GR helps Smile

5. Know Mloy. Mloy is the unofficial GR directory. I swear that the servers upon which GR sits are under her desk. She knows EVERYONE! She's your link to the GR community. If she doesn't know you, then you need to step up! Haha.

All in all, building credibility requires patience, a sense of humor and tolerance for both the excessive and inane. But if you're keen to play golf and meet new friends, it well worth it.

Through GR, I've met some of my closest friends, lunchmates, coaches and beer buddies. What more can one reasonably ask for from an online forum?
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

PostSubject: Re: How to build one's credibility in an online forum   How to build one's credibility in an online forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 3:33 pm

Duvall,

U write like a 40 yr old virgin!!
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: How to build one's credibility in an online forum   How to build one's credibility in an online forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 3:33 pm

*clap clap*

Advisor jiu si Advisor....

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

PostSubject: Re: How to build one's credibility in an online forum   How to build one's credibility in an online forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 3:36 pm

Techno,

That is a nice bodek! Lol
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: How to build one's credibility in an online forum   How to build one's credibility in an online forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 3:39 pm

ZX is an example of what you SHOULD not do...
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: How to build one's credibility in an online forum   How to build one's credibility in an online forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 3:40 pm

duffader wrote:

I tot a better example would be Jgoh??? ROFL
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: How to build one's credibility in an online forum   How to build one's credibility in an online forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 3:42 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
duffader wrote:

I tot a better example would be Jgoh??? ROFL

Pssst.... both of them good friends. Smile
Back to top Go down
CoRN
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
CoRN

PostSubject: Re: How to build one's credibility in an online forum   How to build one's credibility in an online forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 3:43 pm

Technospaz wrote:
How to build one's credibility?

Simple:

1. If you can play golf, don't pretend. No one will fault you if you're a good golfer BUT everyone will despise you if you try to hustle your way around.

2. If you can't play golf, don't be shy to try. Golf is for everyone. Some are great golfers, some are so-so, some are just born to play Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2012 on the PS3. But the fun in the game is meeting people, making friends and laughing over drinks and chicken wings Smile

3. Show your face. Don't be scared. No one is going to punch you (unless you fall into #1 above). People associate others by face. I hate to be introduced by nick... my online persona is separate from the real me. (If I played golf as well as I posted, I would be a one-man PGA)

4. Post. The more you post (in moderation, of couse), the more people know you. I know what I said in #3 above but given that we all must start from somewhere, making your presence known on GR helps Smile

5. Know Mloy. Mloy is the unofficial GR directory. I swear that the servers upon which GR sits are under her desk. She knows EVERYONE! She's your link to the GR community. If she doesn't know you, then you need to step up! Haha.

All in all, building credibility requires patience, a sense of humor and tolerance for both the excessive and inane. But if you're keen to play golf and meet new friends, it well worth it.

Through GR, I've met some of my closest friends, lunchmates, coaches and beer buddies. What more can one reasonably ask for from an online forum?

Couldn't agree more.

If you cannot remember all of them, just need to remind yourself of no. 5. That's the ultimate.
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: How to build one's credibility in an online forum   How to build one's credibility in an online forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 3:45 pm

errr

pardon me...

what has building credibility got to do with giving strokes etc etc...

credibility on an online forum refers to different things to different people..

but my humble opinion is that "walking the talking" is the best way of building credibility whether via online or thru face to face

as one of my partners famously quoted :

"i want my words to worth like money. Once i said it, it counts, its real and it will be fulfilled"
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: How to build one's credibility in an online forum   How to build one's credibility in an online forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 4:00 pm

yo andrew

in online, there is no walking. Only talking. Walking part must be evidenced off line lah

some "donts" that I observe after 2 yrs as GR member:

- dun back out/pull out of games/events so easily or too often
- dun back out of sale/purchase agreements with fellow GR-ians
- dun talk like 18 hcap and play like 8 hcap (this is were the strokes got to do with credibility lor). i.e. Sandbagger.
- vice versa, the above. i.e. Vanity golfer.
- if involved in arguments, dun post and then delete your posts all the time
- dun sell fake stuff
- dun make profit from GR-ians (buy 10 from GRian A, sell 15 to GRian B. Same item)

One more thing: and my biggest pet peeve

- those who recently join and complaint on the first few posts. Whiners!
Back to top Go down
entity
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to build one's credibility in an online forum   How to build one's credibility in an online forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 5:10 pm

Based on what happens on other forums, the biggest hit to one's credibility is usually the setting up of multiple accounts and misusing those accounts to flame/bait/troll others. pig

Probably a good way to start building rapport online is to be straightforward and open, especially in a game where everyone is expected to be self-policing and call penalties on themselves without being asked.
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: How to build one's credibility in an online forum   How to build one's credibility in an online forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 5:10 pm

I know ljlow. Met him at Laguna.

Did he said that he is shy.................my foot he is shy Razz
We chat for quite a while and he try to poison me with his Miura blades. LOL!!!!

ljlow you going range today ah. Alamak I am going tomorrow lah.
Back to top Go down
ljlow
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to build one's credibility in an online forum   How to build one's credibility in an online forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 5:18 pm

i shy if playing with new friends, having hard time to break ice...
but probably Miura breaks the ice for me that day... Smile

GF juz text says she want dinner tgr... so... haih...
always dun wan me to play golf...
Back to top Go down
LinLauPeh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
LinLauPeh

PostSubject: Re: How to build one's credibility in an online forum   How to build one's credibility in an online forum I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 5:23 pm

Sibeh chim. My angmo no good. Only understand simple language.

Have fun! Keke...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to build one's credibility in an online forum   How to build one's credibility in an online forum I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to build one's credibility in an online forum
Page 1 of 1