Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game?

Go down 
+6
Uncle Lau
Duval_S
jtek
who8168
Technospaz
Khorkar
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? Empty
PostSubject: How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game?   How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 10:55 pm

Recently, one of my golfing kaki, had a slip disc. He was just starting to enjoy the game and now, this would put him back a few months. Slip disc is very common amongst the golfing kaki, even pros also gets it. Question, is how to avoid it? I mean, we all need to do follow thru, but then again, how much good enough and yet safe for our fragile back. The aim in the end of the day is to enjoy the game and play it safely without injuring yourself and others.

Anyone has any experience to share?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game?   How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:01 pm

I don't know about slip discs but I know that it's not uncommon. I don't know what causes it but I typically make sure that I warm up before a game. Stretching etc is necessary to get your body ready, particularly if the game is early in the morning. Also, keep the body hydrated throughout the game. Lastly, I remind myself constantly that I'm not 17 years old anymore and swinging my golf club with sheer brute force will likely cause me to twist something and/or injure myself.

Aiyah... old'liao!
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game?   How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:31 pm

Bro T'spaz is right. We need to know our limits, & if we want to push our limits, we need to do it gradually by slowly building up our core muscles & stamina. Of course, ample stretching before a round of golf or session at the range is mandatory.

There are plenty of websites (try this one) that concentrate on exercises for golfers, & many of the exercises actually will help build up the necessary muscles around the core which when strengthened, will prevent back injuries like slip discs.
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game?   How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:36 pm

Remind me of it... "not 17 years old anymore".....

If only i started golfing 10 years younger... ha ha ha Smile
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game?   How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:39 pm

Not sure where I read this...but it is on timing of breathing. Eg. when we tee off, during upswing to downswing, we should (at least me) we breathe out...that way we sort of eliminate the force and thus, supposedly less strain on body.
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game?   How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:42 pm

Yes i fully agreed with TZ, who8168....must warm up at least 15mins. before and after games !

I read somewhere if you are right handed, at nite sleep on your right side cost when you swing, you turn to the left ! Sleeping on your right side release the tension as you sleep.... 8)

Basketball
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game?   How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:54 pm

My coaches all taught me breathing techniques too - to let out half or 3/4 breath, hold it, then start your backswing, finish your shot, then breath in after you pose. The rationale behind breathing out is to ensure the lungs are not inflated (which affect the diaphragm & chest), & may get in the way of the swing. Consequently the swing will be more relax & smooth. It is supposed to work for putting too.
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game?   How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:55 pm

Uncle Lau wrote:
I read somewhere if you are right handed, at nite sleep on your right side cost when you swing, you turn to the left ! Sleeping on your right side release the tension as you sleep.... 8)

Basketball

This is new & interesting as well. Must try....

The night before a game, sleep on the left side. Next game, the night before sleep on the right side. Then see what effects on both days. Laughing
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game?   How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 12:52 am

slipped discs also known as prolapsed discs is a misnomer. The discs do not really slips. It actually breaks. The spongy tissue inside the disc spill out and expands. This extra part compresses the nerves and can cause pain, loss of sensation or even restrict movements.

It is normally caused by direct impact(knocks) on the spinal area or indirect(shearing forces) due to posture when you are carrying load. That is why your teachers and papa mama often teach you when you are younger to squat and carry stuff instead of lifting it bending over. The walls of the discs can withstand quite a bit of compressional forces (as it is evenly distributed) but is bad at shearing forces (excessive loads on selected discs) and thus tear more frequently.

How to prevent?

Ensure that you do not get knocks on your back and do not fall on your back.

Ensure good posture to reduce the forces on your spinal area.

Do not sit too long. Stand up and stretch!

Strengthen your erector muscles and your general back muscles(deadlifts/rows/back extension/ squats etc) so that the muscle would act as a protection layer and hold your spine in place when there are loads. This decrease the load on your skeletal structure and make you less prone to slipped discs.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game?   How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 11:10 am

Sunny: Do not sit too long. Stand up and stretch!

Tell me about it! I had two herniated discs about a year ago and some of it was because of over swinging and bad posture while hitting golf balls--too much forward lean.

And I also sit for many hours each day behind a computer screen.

Rocco Mediate is one of my golf heros as he had serious back problems about 7 years ago, but eventually through hard work and determination went on to almost beating Tiger Woods last year.

CK
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game?   How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 12:18 pm

Think at the end of the day, common sense must prevail...for me:

1. Only if must, play blue....else play white ....less stress and excitement to hit harder than what I can....
2. Try to do focus range training if I do go range .....50 balls...that basically what i do...but always start easy with wedge...(1/2 swing)
3. Try to use my common sense on rough or hazzard...if cannot, then take penalty lor...no point straining
4. And the ultimate...try to play the game in less than 90 ...so as to less stress on body How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game?   How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 1:39 pm

hit less strokes....

hit lesser hazards...

Do your game good and your back lots of good...

if only it is so easy
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game?   How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 1:51 pm

Alot of golf related injuries are purely related to technique. I think if you swing correctly then there will be minimal stress on the body. The RSS is well known for being less stressful on the body as there are no unnecessary or compensatory movements that can cause injuries. I will post some pictures of some common swing faults and you will see why the traditional golf swing can cause problems.
The first example is the most famous golf injury - Tiger Woods and his left knee

In the RSS, we do not clear the left hip therefore the leg remains with som flex and does not have the snapping, straightening effect that the LSS requires
How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? Tiger_14

Davis Love III has had of history of lower back problems and it is all to do with his golf swing. He has what we call a "LOW RIGHT ASS" due to his incorrect leg movements. This makes his right hip drop and puts stress on the lower back. In the RSS our right hip stays level and our right leg will not buckle. This causes the spine to move correctly.

How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? Gow10

Many amateurs have this condition and notice an immediate improvement in back pain once it is corrected
Here is anothe "LOW RIGHT ASS" example

How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? Edwin11

More examples of these swing faults and injuries to come
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game?   How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 2:52 pm

The Next example is related to the shaft swinging too steep into the ball and the club face being too closed. This student trained at another academy and suffered back pain and really bad golf shots. She was slicing the ball and the coach just told her to release the hands more. Bad advise as the swing was too steep so she could not do this. It caused her to what we call "GO BACK AND UNDER" with her body to be able to square the club. This caused major problems with her lower back. The after swing on the right shows a much less painful back position.
How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? Cath_a10

From behind you also see a big change in the spine

How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? Cath_a11

This was corrected by flattening the down swing path and squaring up the clubface
How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? Cath_s10
Back to top Go down
botak
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
botak

PostSubject: Re: How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game?   How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 2:56 pm

I think I have the same problem above Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game?   How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to not injured yrself and still enjoy the game?
Page 1 of 1