Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Article in Today Newspaper

Go down 
+6
Duval_S
tronos
Khorkar
and68low
samT
mowen
10 posters
AuthorMessage
mowen
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mowen

Article in Today Newspaper  Empty
PostSubject: Article in Today Newspaper    Article in Today Newspaper  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 5:48 pm

http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC111025-0000167/Golf-courses,-not-history,-should-make-way

The Land Transport Authority's plan to open a major road through Bukit Brown Cemetery, which is of eco-heritage value, has raised debates between conservationists and developmentalists.

One sees the more intangible but longer term cultivation of a collective sense of identity and belonging; the other, the short-term but lucrative demands for growth and prosperity, particularly for this land near expensive residences along Bukit Timah Road.

As the population expands, the contestations for land use will become more pressing, and this debate is crucial in determining the liveability of Singapore for future generations.

While I am heartened by the Government's commitment to "a city within a garden", I am unsure how this can be realised in practice. The approach to Bukit Brown Cemetery seems instead to be turning the country into gardens within the city.

Perhaps, we need a radical rethink of land use in light of the current limitations, and I suggest that Singapore does away completely with golf courses.

According to the Urban Redevelopment Authority, 22 golf courses and three temporary golf sites occupied 88 per cent of the 1,600 hectares of land used for sports and recreation in 2000, or 2.2 per cent of total land area.

To underline the exclusive nature of golfing here, the premium Singapore Island Country Club has four 18-hole courses, a nine-hole course and two driving ranges that stretch from Adam Road to the boundaries of Peirce Reservoir.

All these facilities and land, enjoyed by about 18,000 members.

Although golf courses are located in constrained areas near water catchment zones, military training grounds or flight paths, not only do they occupy huge tracts of land, they are economically unproductive, socially exclusive and environmentally damaging.

If Singapore's policies are based on pragmatism and inclusiveness, golfing should not be considered a practical activity here. Golfers should go to neighbouring countries for their sport.

Given the increasing congestion in public parks like MacRitchie Reservoir and East Coast Park, it is unacceptable that a privileged few have exclusive access to large plots of land in a tiny country with a burgeoning population.

In 1991, plans to convert parts of Peirce Reservoir into an 18-hole golf course were shelved after the Nature Society convinced the authorities of the rich wildlife in the vicinity.

This scenic area has remained a public space and diverse natural habitat that all can enjoy. On similar grounds, if there must be redevelopment in the Lornie Road area, one of SICC's golf courses, rather than the cemetery, should make way.

The recent parliamentary debates put greater priority on cultivating Singapore's soul and on developing a more active citizenry interacting with a more open Government in an inclusive society, as the Prime Minister spelt out when he assumed premiership in 2004.

Singaporeans should ask themselves to choose between saving an exclusive golf course or a culturally, ecologically and historically rich site like Bukit Brown Cemetery, if they are keen on nurturing this Singapore Soul. This is not a difficult choice, even for the wealthy, if we are thinking of wealth and happiness for all Singaporeans for generations.

The writer is an assistant professor at a local university.
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: Article in Today Newspaper    Article in Today Newspaper  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 6:49 pm

Thanks for sharing. Maybe it is not a case of doing away with golf courses, but retaining part of our history and heritage. Maybe I am getting old liao....quite sentimental about some of the old places that I have grew up with and now lost forever.
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Article in Today Newspaper    Article in Today Newspaper  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 7:49 pm

I certainly don't agree with this young chap call Liew ... and Kai Khiun’s hobbies includes: keeping pets, hiking, ice-skating, long distance running, swimming and ktv. so sad no golf !

https://www.facebook.com/lkkhiun?sk=photos

Quote "they are economically unproductive, socially exclusive and environmentally damaging" He forgot the govt take a huge sum of money for the land lease !

Hope he walks around the broad walk at sicc new course !
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Article in Today Newspaper    Article in Today Newspaper  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 8:08 pm

Just because the dude doesnt enjoy golf, it doesnt mean the rest doesnt it either. Just ignorance, please open your eyes and listen to other views.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Article in Today Newspaper    Article in Today Newspaper  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 8:12 pm

A lot of people don't like golf not because of the game but because their hated bosses play golf. Also golf is an inclusive game, and that bothers some that don't play the game especially when others
do "gets in" with the group.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Article in Today Newspaper    Article in Today Newspaper  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 8:39 pm

I kinda read this article as implying that there should be more greenery on the courses with more flower beds...and any divot should be repaired such that it gives one the gardenly feeling

as for the water hazzard, more wildlife should be encouraged like monitor lizard, snake....

then, on the day the courses are closed, the public can come and help to find lost balls......see....its inclusive....
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Article in Today Newspaper    Article in Today Newspaper  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 8:50 pm

I'm not siding this chap but how many golf courses does Singapore need?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Article in Today Newspaper    Article in Today Newspaper  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:16 pm

Quote :
Technospaz wrote:

Let me take a stab at this question:

I think the answer is ....SG needs more public courses....

but if there are too many, then private courses mite start to lose its appeal resulting in lower prices of membership fee....causing unhappiness of among its members

worst still, the public courses mite go the direction of en-bloc...and then all hell break lose !!!!!
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Article in Today Newspaper    Article in Today Newspaper  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:24 pm

and68low wrote:

Quote "they are economically unproductive, socially exclusive and environmentally damaging" He forgot the govt take a huge sum of money for the land lease !

Hope he walks around the broad walk at sicc new course !

If I'm not mistaken SICC only pay a token of 1 doller to PUB for the use of the lands around the resevoir so its not exactly huge amount of money.

However some of the comment are also not true. how can a road be better to a golf course. Golf course produce oxygen (limited but do), provide water catchement area, it's green. Road blocked water, do not produce oxygen and generally grey or black in colour.... Smile
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Article in Today Newspaper    Article in Today Newspaper  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:29 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
Technospaz wrote:

Let me take a stab at this question:

I think the answer is ....SG needs more public courses....

but if there are too many, then private courses mite start to lose its appeal resulting in lower prices of membership fee....causing unhappiness of among its members

worst still, the public courses mite go the direction of en-bloc...and then all hell break lose !!!!!

here here... more public course... please
Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Article in Today Newspaper    Article in Today Newspaper  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:35 pm

I agree with the writer. Sg should not have any more courses! & SICC should forgo some of its courses. (I know SICC members here will be angry!) Unlike NSRCC where there r a lot of members, do not think SICC needs so many courses. Is it because they have the privilege coz its members include our MPs?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Article in Today Newspaper    Article in Today Newspaper  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:40 pm

Quote :
peace2903 wrote:
I agree with the writer. Sg should not have any more courses! & SICC should forgo some of its courses. (I know SICC members here will be angry!) Unlike NSRCC where there r a lot of members, do not think SICC needs so many courses. Is it because they have the privilege coz its members include our MPs?

errr...i don quite agree.....SICC has relatively more courses becos their members pay alot of taxes relative to folks like me...
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Article in Today Newspaper    Article in Today Newspaper  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 10:00 pm

If Sicc membership were to price the same as nsrcc , sicc will have more members than nsrcc ... By then Nsrcc members & others will buy Sicc Shocked Therfore no need to give up golf course Smile..... Don't worry when we talk "cock" Sicc members will never be angry la Beer

Last edited by and68low on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Article in Today Newspaper    Article in Today Newspaper  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 10:04 pm

Perhaps we need more public courses but I think the island is already quite built-up.

In any event, I'm looking at this from the perspective of preserving something which has historical value, rather than whether another golf course is good or not.

Coming from Malaysia, a lot of what which had historical value has not been well-maintained. As a result, much of what was important is now lost. We may not be able to see it but it is the past which defines the future of a nation and its people. If the past has no value, then this resonates in the future.
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Article in Today Newspaper    Article in Today Newspaper  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 10:20 pm

On a serious note.. All this hoohar is because of a road ! .... And I feel it make no sense to sacrifice two important land mark, one is iconic the other is a heritage ! Maybe, for some it make great Economical sense for the road ..... ERP !
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Article in Today Newspaper    Article in Today Newspaper  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 10:57 pm

Think they should build golf courses on sisters island lah, pulau ubin lah, tekong lah, etc. Then we take ferry to play golf like go batam and bintan except dun need passport.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Article in Today Newspaper    Article in Today Newspaper  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Article in Today Newspaper
Page 1 of 1