Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

uphill or downhill?

Go down 
+7
asahi
zhenxua
mengteck71
golf_snowman
Duval_S
pushslice
etsk22
11 posters
AuthorMessage
etsk22
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
etsk22

uphill or downhill? Empty
PostSubject: uphill or downhill?   uphill or downhill? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 3:25 pm

Hi,

not sure others face the same problem as I do while reading the greens.

Its quite common that when I face the hole, it seems like an uphill putt. Take a second look behind the hole and it looks like a downhill putt. Thus, getting confused each time I get this type of read.

Can someone pls share some expert opinion on the Art of reading the green.

Appreciate all advice and suggestions.

:-)
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: uphill or downhill?   uphill or downhill? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 3:34 pm

I usually would walk further away from the green and sometimes you can see it clearer from the apron or even further out. Sideview helps too.

Especially if there is a lower area where your eye can be close to ground level. I'm not talking about Villegas spider style though Laughing

If still no clue, I'd assume uphill or flat. Because hitting it short is never good.

This is no expert opinion, but it helps me.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: uphill or downhill?   uphill or downhill? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 3:36 pm

somewhere, I tot I learnt to not look at just the line of putt.

Instead look at the overall Green in general coz like the green designer needs to take into consideration of the water flow......with that, one should have a better idea of the slope of play.

Disclaimer: Just when I thought I cant play any worse, I was wrong. Pls take the above with extreme caution.
Back to top Go down
etsk22
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
etsk22

PostSubject: Re: uphill or downhill?   uphill or downhill? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 10:00 am

Thanks both for sharing.

it does helps me understand more about reading greens.

I am relying more on experience and feel now. Hopefully, will be able to grasp the art of reading greens in time to come.

Meanwhile, pls keep advice / suggestions coming.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: uphill or downhill?   uphill or downhill? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 10:08 am

hi, u mentioned when u face the hole, it looks uphill and when u see from behind the hole, it looks downhill...this sounds logical to me

some green, u can differentiate uphill or downhill just by the shade of the green, because the direction of the grass change according to the slope and you will notice some 'greener' portion and 'darker' portion...if u play in Kranji, u can notice that
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: uphill or downhill?   uphill or downhill? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 10:16 am

facing hole and behind hole usually check the breaks..

walk perpendicular to the line of putt to see uphill or downhill
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: uphill or downhill?   uphill or downhill? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 10:16 am

walk from the hole to your ball
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: uphill or downhill?   uphill or downhill? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 10:18 am

from the korean show "birdie buddy", take off your shoes and walk the green bare footed.. episode 9.. lol
Back to top Go down
etsk22
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
etsk22

PostSubject: Re: uphill or downhill?   uphill or downhill? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 10:25 am

golf_snowman wrote:
hi, u mentioned when u face the hole, it looks uphill and when u see from behind the hole, it looks downhill...this sounds logical to me

some green, u can differentiate uphill or downhill just by the shade of the green, because the direction of the grass change according to the slope and you will notice some 'greener' portion and 'darker' portion...if u play in Kranji, u can notice that

That's something new to me. So greener means lower ground cos they get more water due to drainage?
Sorry. perhaps I was not clear enough? What I meant was the type of putt that was faced with - ie. uphill putt when facing hole but seems to downhill putt when look behind the hole.

Mengteck71 - haha. that's funny.
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: uphill or downhill?   uphill or downhill? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 10:29 am

usually lighter shades means running away from u (faster) and darker means running towards u (slower).
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: uphill or downhill?   uphill or downhill? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 10:30 am

Read from the side of your intended line of putt.
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: uphill or downhill?   uphill or downhill? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 10:50 am

asahi wrote:
Read from the side of your intended line of putt.
You got it right Asahi.
One can also check where the drainage point is or if there is a pond, it maybe the drainage point. Course designer usually design the green to slope towards the drainage point.
Back to top Go down
drawbias
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
drawbias

PostSubject: Re: uphill or downhill?   uphill or downhill? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 10:59 am

take a look to have an ideal of the undulation while walking towards the green ....
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: uphill or downhill?   uphill or downhill? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 11:41 am

Alos look at the surrounding for hills, pond, mountains...If have caddy, it will also be a good source provided the caddy is a old bird...I ever play in a course, see the line left to right, caddy say NO IT iS Right to Left. I say, Sure?, She reply, you caddy or I caddy? and she was right...hahahahaha...
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: uphill or downhill?   uphill or downhill? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 11:51 am

But please dun take too long! Smile
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: uphill or downhill?   uphill or downhill? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 1:26 pm

Won' t hold up behind flt lah...else pressure flt mates play faster...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: uphill or downhill?   uphill or downhill? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

uphill or downhill?
Page 1 of 1