Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Private Messaging

Go down 
+3
mUAr_cHEe
missmoon
pug
7 posters
AuthorMessage
pug
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
pug

Private Messaging Empty
PostSubject: Private Messaging   Private Messaging I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 4:23 pm

I suppose that "Sentbox" contains messages that are sent and "Outbox" contains messages being sent. I have about 3 PMs in Outbox and I gathered that they have not been sent since I have not received any replies.

Question is this, how do I trigger the PMs in the Outbox to become sent?
Back to top Go down
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
missmoon

Private Messaging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Private Messaging   Private Messaging I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 4:26 pm

Hi Pug,

When the PM is in the OUTBOX, that means the recipient of the PM has not read the PM yet. Once the recipient has read your PM, it will appear in your SENT BOX.
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
missmoon

Private Messaging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Private Messaging   Private Messaging I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 4:29 pm

The answer is, the PMs have been sent, just that they have not been read yet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

Private Messaging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Private Messaging   Private Messaging I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 4:29 pm

pug, can you open up the PMs in the outbox and resend from there?
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

Private Messaging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Private Messaging   Private Messaging I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 4:36 pm

there is no need to resend...it will be in your sent items once it is read
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
pug
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
pug

Private Messaging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Private Messaging   Private Messaging I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 9:35 pm

I see, thanks for the clarifications and to the mods/admins for replying so quickly.

Cheers bounce
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

Private Messaging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Private Messaging   Private Messaging I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 10:08 pm

The terms Outbox and Sentbox are quite misleading. I am glad someone asked and got this clarified. I was confused for a while too and was looking for buttons to trigger Send Mail from Out Box.

It shd not be termed as outbox, because it was already sent, just not read. It is already out of the Out Box, and not retrievable.

A more indicative method is to have different markings or labels against each mail in Sent Box, showing those that has been sent, and those that have been sent AND read.
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

Private Messaging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Private Messaging   Private Messaging I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 10:14 pm

freedrop:

Outbox and Sent Box are terms used in traditional email software. These are terms used in email software such as Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express.

As far as I know, messages in the Outbox can be deleted. It is akin to instances where one needs to recall a particular wrongly sent email. When the message reaches the Sent box, you can be assured that the PM went to the person and the person has read it.

Due to the technical nature of the forum, thing do work slightly different from place to place. Once you get used to it, it doesn't matter anymore.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

Private Messaging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Private Messaging   Private Messaging I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 11:17 pm

Yes, once it's explained, it doesn't matter. I am not complaining.

But out of curiousity, ( I am not familiar with Outlook Express etc . I use Eudora all my life, and still do), you are saying that a mail in Outbox can be deleted, and it will then never be read by addressee, and those in copy list? Yet, you (or someone above) said mails in Outbox is "sent". From a conventional understanding, when a mail is "sent", you cannot retrieve it anymore, whether read or not. You can send a mail saying you wnat to recall that mail, but it can be read if recipient choose to read it.

Pardon me for my ignorance since I have never used Outlook. In my Lotus Notes Mails, I think a mail that is sent cannnot be retrieved, whether read or not. If you don't want it sent, you should save it in Draft Box, so that you can review your decision whether to send it or not.

Again, I am not complaining. Just curious.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

Private Messaging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Private Messaging   Private Messaging I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 11:25 pm

Your Outbox mail can be amended or deleted as long as the addressee has not read it.
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

Private Messaging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Private Messaging   Private Messaging I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 11:27 pm

freedrop: You are free to be curious. No, I don't take it that you are complaining. Let's learn together.

Firstly it doesn't matter if you are using Eudora or Outlook Express. Outbox stores all messages that are outgoing. It does not mean that they are out of your box already, it just means that they are outgoing.

There are instances where mails get stuck in your Outbox. For example, if you get disconnected from the Internet while writing the email, and you hit the send button. The mail goes into the Outbox but is stuck inside because there is no Internet to send the mail out. When the Internet connection resumes, the email software will try to send the mail out again. Once that happens, the mail moves from the Outbox into the Sent Box.

And yes, you can delete an email that is in the Outbox. Like in the example above, if there is no Internet connection, the email will appear in the Outbox until there is Internet connection. This is the time where you can delete it. Another instance is when you delay the sending of the email. Say, for example, you would like to send out this email at 1800hrs. You can delay the sending to 1800hrs before you send. However, if you find that things in the email become obsolete, you can delete the email away.

Drafts are temporary storage areas for drafting emails. They receive no attention and no action will be performed on them. They will neither be sent out nor will the email software try to send them out.

Recalling emails is a different concept. It sends out an email to "delete" a previous email.

Hope this clarifies.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

Private Messaging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Private Messaging   Private Messaging I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 11:48 pm

missmoon wrote:

The answer is, the PMs have been sent, just that they have not been read yet.

======

I guess I was confused by the statement above. Like I said, I was in several occassions looking for a button in your Out Box, trying to trigger a Send action.

If the PM has been sent, and not read, it still cannot be retrieved. That's my understanding, and experience with using Eudora.

If I have a mail in my Eudora In Box, and I have not read it, the sender will not be able to delete it. He or she can send me another mail saying that he/she wants to recall that mail. But I can read that mail if I want to. I know this for sure .

Anyway, I learned something other than Eudora which I did not know all these while. Thanks to all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Private Messaging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Private Messaging   Private Messaging I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Private Messaging
Page 1 of 1