Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Will walking course help to increase number of golfers?

Go down 
+10
Birdman
Derek
asahi
mizzy
bkll
Winston
golf_snowman
pushslice
CoRN
Duval_S
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Will walking course help to increase number of golfers? Empty
PostSubject: Will walking course help to increase number of golfers?   Will walking course help to increase number of golfers? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 3:02 pm

HAve you ever been told things like this:

1. Golf is not an exercise
2. How is yor weight since golfing....

I like walking course.....I like Royal johor.....

and most of all..... I miss the old Seletar Base

Back to top Go down
CoRN
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
CoRN

PostSubject: Re: Will walking course help to increase number of golfers?   Will walking course help to increase number of golfers? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Bro, I seldom post... as you can compare your postings and mine..

However, to celebrate your return to clock more posting, I have to post something as well.

In all honesty, I think walking course will not help to increase number of golfers. On a contrary, it might even reduce golfers.

Firstly, impatient golfers will suffer as a whole.

On the other hand, having to play at Keppel just one time this week has resulted in me deciding not to play on courses like that again if there's no buggy on course.

It was very very very tiring, even for buggy on track. Imagine that if it was a walking course.

So, i guessed i've answered the question...
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Will walking course help to increase number of golfers?   Will walking course help to increase number of golfers? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 3:42 pm

I oso like to walk on a course, but as to your question

Building new courses to have better drainage is imo the better solution

1. buggy can go to fairways if the grass/lands are not soggy after rain.
2. buggy on fairways means golfers (like bro Corn) will enjoy their game more.
3. good drainage means golfers can play after rain. less cancellations and wasted leave etc
4. for walking course fans, walking on course is a lot more tiring if you walk on soggy lands. Johor golf club is one prime example.

but if improving drainage is too exp. Then: particularly in Asia where labor is available and cheap, getting courses to provide CADDIES is quick solution to attract more golfers

1. We play faster (more slots available/less time to finish a round/more revenue as well)
2. We play better and easier (no need to think, just hit the damn ball) - better experience overall
3. Create jobs
4. and some of these caddies may even go on to become successful PROS leh....
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Will walking course help to increase number of golfers?   Will walking course help to increase number of golfers? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 3:46 pm

i like walking course too....if there is a cute, nice looking caddy walking with me...i would love to go back there again ....

errr, does that answer your questions ?....haha !!!
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Will walking course help to increase number of golfers?   Will walking course help to increase number of golfers? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 3:49 pm

I personally prefer walking courses. Its about the only excercise I get these days. As Pushslice mentioned, having caddies makes it easier also. and as to Golf-Snowman's comments, I also totally agree.......
Back to top Go down
bkll
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bkll

PostSubject: Re: Will walking course help to increase number of golfers?   Will walking course help to increase number of golfers? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 4:09 pm

There is a walkability index in Golf Digest rating of singapore courses:

http://www.golfdigestsingapore.com/rankings

Keppel not very 'walkable'...
'Walkable' courses like Garden and Bukit are too high-end (for me).
NSRCC airforce/army also quite walkable.

Personally, I would love to be able to walk 9 holes everyday. 18 holes a bit xiong in this weather.
Back to top Go down
CoRN
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
CoRN

PostSubject: Re: Will walking course help to increase number of golfers?   Will walking course help to increase number of golfers? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 4:31 pm

Winston wrote:
I personally prefer walking courses. Its about the only excercise I get these days. As Pushslice mentioned, having caddies makes it easier also. and as to Golf-Snowman's comments, I also totally agree.......

Especially if the caddy looks something like your avatar... well on second thought, if the caddy looks like your avatar, I will be the one carrying it for her instead... crap! scrap the idea.
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: Will walking course help to increase number of golfers?   Will walking course help to increase number of golfers? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 4:34 pm

I think Adams? proposed to have courses shortened for us mortals..

there are other benefits too i think

shorter courses use less land
its shorter to walk
its more easy to play
we score better and enjoy better
more trees can be planted to give more shade, give better nature conservation, and provide obstacles to work the ball

the pace of play maybe slower so maybe less golfers will be able to play
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Will walking course help to increase number of golfers?   Will walking course help to increase number of golfers? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 5:39 pm

Walking is good!
HCM, here we come!
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Will walking course help to increase number of golfers?   Will walking course help to increase number of golfers? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 5:40 pm

CoRN wrote:

However, to celebrate your return to clock more posting, I have to post something as well.

In all honesty, I think walking course will not help to increase number of golfers. On a contrary, it might even reduce golfers.

On the other hand, having to play at Keppel just one time this week has resulted in me deciding not to play on courses like that again if there's no buggy on course.

It was very very very tiring, even for buggy on track. Imagine that if it was a walking course.

I sometimes wonder if Keppel might be easier as walking course instead of buggy on track. Provided that they use a buggy mate or something so that you do not have to carry your golf bag.

Walking directly to the ball might be easier than parking at the side and then hiking to your ball and hiking back down ...
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: Will walking course help to increase number of golfers?   Will walking course help to increase number of golfers? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 5:52 pm

asahi wrote:
Walking is good!
HCM, here we come!

all walking course? faint..
Back to top Go down
CoRN
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
CoRN

PostSubject: Re: Will walking course help to increase number of golfers?   Will walking course help to increase number of golfers? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 6:25 pm

Derek wrote:
CoRN wrote:

I sometimes wonder if Keppel might be easier as walking course instead of buggy on track. Provided that they use a buggy mate or something so that you do not have to carry your golf bag.

Walking directly to the ball might be easier than parking at the side and then hiking to your ball and hiking back down ...

Bro, your caddy/buggy mate must be physically fit enough to do that man...
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Will walking course help to increase number of golfers?   Will walking course help to increase number of golfers? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 3:14 am

From the postings so far, I think the answer is quite obvious that walking will result in less golfers on the course. Very Happy

But in all honesty it really doesn't matter if it's a walking or buggy course. The real issue is the pace of play. On the pro tour where they walk, it's commonplace to hear of 5 hour plus rounds. we as amateurs in buggies also clock 5 hour plus rounds. So does it make a difference whether it's a walking or a buggy course?

Here's food for thought, I played with some beginners and we were in buggies, in front of us were a flight of seniors pulling their own carts. The seniors pulled ahead disappearing down the fairways. It's quite amazing on the few walking courses left in Singapore how seniors walk and play way faster than many who are fitter and younger.

Personally I prefer walking a course. It helps keep better tempo and rhythm for the swing, I don't lose sight of where my ball is if it disappears into the long stuff, and I get better perspective of the green approaching it from directly behind.

And much as I would love to drive a buggy down into the fairway after the rain, I'm all for sticking to the cart path even if there is excellent drainage. Too many times I have seen fairways ripped up with the earth exposed from careless driving of the buggy. Instead of accelerating slowly in wet conditions, almost everyone steps full on the throttle. And it's also pedal to the metal when driving through soggy areas when it should be taken slow so the tyres won't damage the soft ground. Sadly, there are way too many skid marks left behind after rain as there are unraked bunkers on the course.
Back to top Go down
golfkaki
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golfkaki

PostSubject: Re: Will walking course help to increase number of golfers?   Will walking course help to increase number of golfers? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 6:36 am

birdman... like you, I did the same even if it does not rain, unless my buggy mate is one of those who hates to walk ;(

I understand those who don't like playing on walking course. Too many valid reasons for me to even bother listing them down.

End of the day, it boils down to that single golfer, whether he enjoyed playing with buggy or walking. There are no 2 ways about it. You can only have 1, A or B. Your choice!
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Will walking course help to increase number of golfers?   Will walking course help to increase number of golfers? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 9:17 am

Hip hip hurray ! Duval is Back !
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Will walking course help to increase number of golfers?   Will walking course help to increase number of golfers? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 1:55 pm

Havent been on a walking course for many years now, but can safely say walking is the way to go! One can concentrate much more on their own shots, and by the time you get to your ball, you've (partially) pictured your next shot. Buggys do not improve speed of play!

Unfortunately, walking is too much too ask for, for far too many golfers! And would not increase the number of golfers .... Very sad reality!

Buggy on track only, and not on fairway, is criminal! Its the stupidist thing ever! And makes my life miserable! Every shot can be played differently with 3-4 clubs, and im running around with all these clubs! Far more tiring, and frustrating!

P.s. Making golf cheaper is sure to increase the number of golfers! Im not playing half as much golf as i can and want, cause of the $ involved!
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: Will walking course help to increase number of golfers?   Will walking course help to increase number of golfers? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 4:26 pm

I don't know if courses have explored the option of using segways instead of buggies.

A segway on a track instead of tires can increase traction and go easy on the grass on water logged parts I would think.

There is an option to load the bag on the segway and the golfer can ride on it, or if he prefers to walk, have a remote for the golfer to tether the segway with him.

A segway consumes less power and moves less mass, including the large batteries buggies now use, which must be changed every year I think.

Just saying you know..
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Will walking course help to increase number of golfers?   Will walking course help to increase number of golfers? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 3:01 pm

how a bout a mule ? they can also graze the grass and keep them trimmed Razz

Seriously I've tried walking on a full 18 hole course in Aussie with no buggie (ie carrying the club all the way). it almost killed me, obviously I am not a very fit person and probably below average at that time, but man it was taxing like hell. After the third hole it all went down the hill to the bottomless pit.

On a public course I think walking will actually be counter productive since most beginner will slice/draw and dice the ball, the game will be even slower without a buggy..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will walking course help to increase number of golfers?   Will walking course help to increase number of golfers? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Will walking course help to increase number of golfers?
Page 1 of 1