Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

4 wedge system...

Go down 
+7
duffader
Denmeister
tronos
Birdman
peace2903
S70B
drizz0
11 posters
AuthorMessage
drizz0
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:56 pm

hi all,

been training and studying to improve my short game...

and trying to see which system suits my game best...

i know. i know. before u guys say.. no one system is better than the other or different folks different strokes... and i know it all takes hard work and training.... and i have to buy into it to really practice it..

i have read that some golfers implement a 4 wedge system, and i have read abt dave pelz 4x3 wedge swing system...

wondering what wedges forumers carry in their bags???

i personally carry a 58, 54 and my pitching which is a 46..

but wanna try to put in a 50 degree in the mix soon...
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 11:18 pm

It depends on your gaps, not the system.

Much like how a 56* is a popular wedge to carry, I do not have 1. Nor any 50*.

Mine:
PW @ 47* carries 125yds
AW @ 52* (Bent to 53*) carries 105yds
LW @ 58* (Bent to 59*) carries 80yds

As you can see, I have 20-25yd gaps in between. That 56* doesn't fit in.

I also hit my 110 and 90yd shots pretty ok with a 3/4 swing anyway.

Find out your gaps then build it accordingly.
Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 11:42 pm

Aiyo..ppl put the gaps to create a system mah.... it's the same....
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 11:51 pm

ROFL Good one drizz0, pre-empting all the usual answers. Too funny.

Haven't tried a 4 wedge system myself even though I have toyed with the idea of putting a 4th wedge in my bag. Came to my own conclusion that a gap wedge is quite redundant for me, useless except for a full swing, the same results of which can be achieved with a pitching wedge gripped halfway down. The PW, SW and LW serve all my other short game purposes.

Not a real fan of Dave Pelz's system as well as it gets too mechanical and I'm more of a feel player with my short game.

My wedge breakdown is as such then:

PW 46 deg - full wedge swing, gripped down full swing, and chips that fly a quarter distance with three quarter roll.

SW 56 deg - full swing, longer greenside bunker shots, and chips that fly half distance and the rest roll. I am considering going to a 54 deg SW to narrow the gap a little more.

LW 60 deg - full swing, most greenside bunker shots, and chips that fly three quarter distance and the rest roll. Most of the delicate escape shots I play with the LW.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 1:07 am

4 wedge as in using the same brand wedge, like 4 Vokeys or 3 Vokeys + 1 pw from the iron set?
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 4:54 am

peace2903 wrote:
Aiyo..ppl put the gaps to create a system mah.... it's the same....

You 'aiyo' wat? What do u mean by saying 'put gaps to create system?' Rolling Eyes

If you dun even know your distances how do you know your gaps? Then what system are u creating?

I dun understand what you type anyway and it certainly is of no help.

He says he plays 46 54 58 but nvr list his distances for his 46 and 54.

So what if the 8* diff only creates a 12-15m gap? Is it worth losing 1 longer club like a hybrid or a 4 iron to cover a 6-7m diff if he alr has 14 clubs in the bag?

Mebbe he can benefit from a 46 52 58 instead? Having too many wedges will sometimes confuse an individual. You forget how to play golf with a bit of feel.

Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 5:41 am

Hi Guys,

Before I got my custom fitted irons, I was using these:

PW: 48* 120m
52* 100m
56* 80m

My 60* is still in the storeroom after trying it out less than 5 times on the course. Not an easy club to use as I tend to duff/top it more often than the rest. The margin of error is very small as the loft is not very forgiving to ify chips around the green.

I just looked at my lofts of my new irons. The PW is now 45*
But will really need to know the distance this club can hit before I decide on what to do.

DGman has actually bent my other two wedges for me to create a 5* gap

PW: 45*
52*, now bent to 50* (and overall length increased by 1 inch)
56*, now bent to 55* (and overall length increased by 1 inch)

In the past, I did not have a 52* to fill the gap between the PW and my 56*. With the PW going 120m and the 56* going 80m, I actually had a tough time with shots from 100m. I was not very consistent with a choke down PW for 100m. That was when I decided to get a 52* to fill the gap.

For me, it was not about buying the wedges after knowing the different systems out there. I agree with S70B where we need to know what distance we are getting from our clubs first. Buy the clubs to fill the gap, rather than buy a system that may or may not work.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 6:09 am

Me is 50,54,60 and ap2 PW which is around 47 the last time I measured. Just make sure there is a overlap between wedges. Distance range for full swing from 75m-115m
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 8:35 am

Clap Clap x 10 !!!

Duffy, realized you change to Tity-less driver liao !!!!! Congrats on the consistency of reaching the current level of play.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 8:40 am

Duval_S wrote:
Clap Clap x 10 !!!

Duffy, realized you change to Tity-less driver liao !!!!! Congrats on the consistency of reaching the current level of play.

Hehehhe.. thanks... but i just cannot hit with the vokeys... dunno why. range ok... course.... Duff and Duff and DUff....
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 8:45 am

S70B wrote:

Mine:
PW @ 47* carries 125yds

bro,

may i ask, does maintaining consistent loft angle difference between wedges means consistent gap between them ?

I believe the gap different is more important than just the loft diff between wedges, right ?

I have 4 wedges and i am thinking should i just check and adjust to their true loft or should i hit balls with trackman and adjust loft for to maintain gap between clubs...

thanks

snowman
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 8:47 am

golf_snowman wrote:
S70B wrote:

Mine:
PW @ 47* carries 125yds

bro,

may i ask, does maintaining consistent loft angle difference between wedges means consistent gap between them ?

I believe the gap different is more important than just the loft diff between wedges, right ?

I have 4 wedges and i am thinking should i just check and adjust to their true loft or should i hit balls with trackman and adjust loft for to maintain gap between clubs...

thanks

snowman

I think its a reference. THats why most irons are build with a 4 deg difference between them. But of course, the way the club is made also make a difference.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 8:58 am

duffader wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:
S70B wrote:

Mine:
PW @ 47* carries 125yds

bro,

thanks

snowman

I think its a reference. THats why most irons are build with a 4 deg difference between them. But of course, the way the club is made also make a difference.

hi bro

yes, i think so.

Sometime I also notice that what is stated on the club might not be the true loft, may difference by about 0.5 to 1.5 deg...

that is why, when i wanted to adjust the loft of my 4 wedges, should i adjust it to the ture loft or should i adjust base on distance gap ?

I tend to think adjust base on distance gap make more sense...but wanna confirm my thought
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 9:16 am

Yeap... just adjust it to your distance gap.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 9:27 am

duffader wrote:

cool, thank bro...

will find a day to do so....need trackman liao...haha !!
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 9:33 am

golf_snowman wrote:
duffader wrote:

cool, thank bro...

Actually.... why dun you just practise to get the distances you want instead of bending the lofts??? Wedges are clubs which the bounce number makes a big difference to the club.... If you strengthen the loft, the bounce decreases and vice versa.....so it might affect the characteristic of the club.

Like i said earlier, there must be a overlap in the distances.. and to achieve this, you need to practise. Wedges are your scoring club... so if you ask me..... I will put like 30% of my practise on these wedges. I shall not go in depth but try and you will appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 9:36 am

here's mine

46 PW: 105m full and 85m pitch
51 GW: 85m full and 65m pitch
56 SW: 70m full and <50m pitch

For control, I almost always pitch my ball for <100m targets

Bump run chips with PW or GW. Lob/checking chip with SW.

Sold my LW to simplify my decision making. Too many options confused me.

Sometimes I use a 52-58 combo (diff make) instead of 51-56. Similar gaps.

Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 9:56 am

duffader wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:
duffader wrote:

cool, thank bro...

Actually.... why dun you just practise to get the distances you want instead of bending the lofts??? Wedges are clubs which the bounce number makes a big difference to the club.... If you strengthen the loft, the bounce decreases and vice versa.....so it might affect the characteristic of the club.

Like i said earlier, there must be a overlap in the distances.. and to achieve this, you need to practise. Wedges are your scoring club... so if you ask me..... I will put like 30% of my practise on these wedges. I shall not go in depth but try and you will appreciate it.

hmm...sounds logical also...

Yes, i do practise on my wedge with target, like 100m, 80m, 65m and 55m everytime i range

in that case, should i just adjust the club to true loft, thus use it intended bounce and practise on distance gap ?
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 9:58 am

Yeap.... try to practise the in between gaps too... like 100m, 95m, 90m, 85m and so on.... of course no one will be that accurate but at least you know your distances.
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 10:39 am

I got funny wedges set up, always do. I play my PW at 45*, next in my 'SW' at 53* and my ultimate weapon, my 'LW' at 60*. I tried and practice various shots for various distances with these 3 wedges. Worked well, so far...
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 10:45 am

I also dont like to carry so many wedges from the cart to the green/apron...the more I carry the more I forget to bring back! Laughing
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 10:47 am

pushslice wrote:
I also dont like to carry so many wedges from the cart to the green/apron...the more I carry the more I forget to bring back! Laughing

bro,

feel free to pass me all your wedge....haha !!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

4 wedge system... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 wedge system...   4 wedge system... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

4 wedge system...
Page 1 of 1