Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Have you ever wondered?

Go down 
+9
slinger
jimmychoo
Ssquirrel
nrafee
watermyforrest
nientsu
mUAr_cHEe
Duval_S
golfjoy
13 posters
AuthorMessage
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Have you ever wondered?  Empty
PostSubject: Have you ever wondered?    Have you ever wondered?  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 8:31 am

Hmmm .... this is just a thought lah .... not meant to offend anyone ... k

Peace

I don't really follow the tons of threads in the forum, especially when it gets all technical and most often .... talking about who's the buaya and asking for strokes etc.

Many a times, I think to myself, are these people really as BAD (or GOOD) as they portray themselves or others to be?

I guess I would never have be able to see with my own eyes unless I have the chance to watch them play?

Anyway, I'm a newbie; so I guess it doesn't matter much. Just wanna enjoy the game.

flower
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wondered?    Have you ever wondered?  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 8:38 am

er.....BAD or GOOD is very relative lor...by the word itself.

actually, the upside I see to this is that when conversation moves into this direction, it show that the bonding is on uptrend. ...... If first time playing with stranger, really one will shy away fm talking about strokes lah.

essnetially this is a good sign.

as to whether is it over populated with such, at days, yes...but I think as being a golf ambassador , we should bridge this to the new golfers into the forum thru games and more TCSS.

BTW, I am not into competitive golfing anymore...I only bet minimal amt only...and ideally I will request for strokes.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wondered?    Have you ever wondered?  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 8:40 am

i thought Duval started this thread. chey.
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wondered?    Have you ever wondered?  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 8:42 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:

WAh LAU!!!

You mean only D_S can start this sort of crappy thread ah? Suspect
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wondered?    Have you ever wondered?  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 8:49 am

Its not that only DS can start this type of thread.

More likely than not, only DS starts such thread
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wondered?    Have you ever wondered?  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 8:54 am

Duval_S wrote:
er.....BAD or GOOD is very relative lor...by the word itself.

actually, the upside I see to this is that when conversation moves into this direction, it show that the bonding is on uptrend. ...... If first time playing with stranger, really one will shy away fm talking about strokes lah.

essnetially this is a good sign.

as to whether is it over populated with such, at days, yes...but I think as being a golf ambassador , we should bridge this to the new golfers into the forum thru games and more TCSS.

BTW, I am not into competitive golfing anymore...I only bet minimal amt only...and ideally I will request for strokes.

Oh btw, by good or bad I wasn't only referring to the 'skill'.
There're some other stuff which I observed.

Actually, why does one need to ask for strokes ... unless betting?
As I thought this is a game which you are forever competing with yourself, your own scores.

Errr... does it sound like a stupid question?
Paiseh lah... very inexperience mah.... just curious lah. clown

Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wondered?    Have you ever wondered?  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 8:56 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:

I thought so too...

golfjoy wrote:
You mean only D_S can start this sort of crappy thread ah? Suspect

The right word is "deep", not crappy but deep...
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wondered?    Have you ever wondered?  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 8:58 am

wow, another deep one...

more articles to read already.. Smile
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wondered?    Have you ever wondered?  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 9:05 am

Yeah a deep thread by GolfJoy... Why does it sound so wrong Razz
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wondered?    Have you ever wondered?  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 9:35 am

Some people enjoy playing golf. Some also enjoy the strokes negotiation part.

Golf to most is more than just "a game which you are forever competing with yourself, your own scores".
If so then these ppl would be happy just going out and playing a round by themselves and shooting a good round.

For many, it's the other stuff around the game that adds to the fun. The asking and negotiation of strokes before the round; the laughter and banter around the drinks and makan after the game.

I don't think you'll meet the real "BAD" buaya's out there unless you have a big ego and are greedy. You can always politely decline to bet if you don't feel comfortable. If you feel pressured to bet and don't like it, then it would be better to find a new group of ppl to golf with and enjoy the game. I've golfed with some of the guys on GR and I don't really bet. If there are bets, they are small and manageable bets which goes towards the makan after the game.

Why the need to ask for strokes if not betting? I don't know.. for some maybe ego; for others maybe a challenge to set for themselves to gauge if they have improved..
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wondered?    Have you ever wondered?  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 9:45 am

Aiyo..... think until so much.....hahaha......
I remember I bet with Kat for just a bottle of water but the negotiation part of giving strokes took us 2 weeks to settle down affraid
Don't wonder, join the dark side. For the start, I am going to give you 9-9, we bet for 1 golf ball (Used or new) Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wondered?    Have you ever wondered?  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 9:51 am

watermyforrest wrote:
Yeah a deep thread by GolfJoy... Why does it sound so wrong Razz

WMF Exclamation Suspect
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wondered?    Have you ever wondered?  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 9:52 am

jimmychoo wrote:
I remember I bet with Kat for just a bottle of water but the negotiation part of giving strokes took us 2 weeks to settle down affraid
Don't wonder, join the dark side. For the start, I am going to give you 9-9, we bet for 1 golf ball (Used or new) Twisted Evil

HEEEEE .... I am a newbie leh.
And won't be touching my clubs till 4months later ... at least!

Wait for me horrrr Laughing
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wondered?    Have you ever wondered?  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 11:00 am

jimmychoo wrote:

golfjoy, i give u 0-1-2......better than my LC bro JC, same stake, 1 golf ball

just so that i can play with JC..... but it will be more than a golf ball
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wondered?    Have you ever wondered?  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 11:16 am

Bro, want to give, give all mah....1-2-2
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wondered?    Have you ever wondered?  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 11:59 am

slinger wrote:
jimmychoo wrote:

golfjoy, i give u 0-1-2......better than my LC bro JC, same stake, 1 golf ball

just so that i can play with JC..... but it will be more than a golf ball

0-1-2 simi lai eh??? Rolling Eyes (that's why I can never follow those threads..kekeke)

Anyway, take 2 balls lah. Must balance.
Ai simi brand?
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wondered?    Have you ever wondered?  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 12:12 pm

[quote="Ssquirrel"]Some people enjoy playing golf. Some also enjoy the strokes negotiation part.

......and I don't really bet. If there are bets, they are small and manageable bets which goes towards the makan after the game.

quote]

wisdom from a GM with elo rating 8000. i'm going to print this and bring over to the tee box when BB plays DSS

anyways G'joy, asking/giving strokes is only when there's a wager. Most folks I know here bet small just for fun so we can have other things to laugh about other than how bad (or good) we played. See bets can lead to other things friends enjoy like makan, liver destroying activities, muscle relaxing activities etc. If golf only then we go home after we play golf Laughing

but I have not seen anyone in GR trying to goad a beginner into a wager he/she cant win. Seasoned beginners yes (e.g. Read the bad boys threads), but not real beginners hahahaha
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wondered?    Have you ever wondered?  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 12:16 pm

jimmychoo wrote:

Kat is the toughest daughter of a b***h here when negotiating strokes. She beat mloy by a mile. That girl has no shame hahahaha Razz
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wondered?    Have you ever wondered?  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 12:18 pm

pushslice wrote:

anyways G'joy, asking/giving strokes is only when there's a wager. Most folks I know here bet small just for fun so we can have other things to laugh about other than how bad (or good) we played. See bets can lead to other things friends enjoy like makan, liver destroying activities, muscle relaxing activities etc. If golf only then we go home after we play golf Laughing

but I have not seen anyone in GR trying to goad a beginner into a wager he/she cant win. Seasoned beginners yes (e.g. Read the bad boys threads), but not real beginners hahahaha

allo ps, okie ... so it's only when there's wager then, there's stroking lah?
that makes sense.

oh yah, makan and whatever activities after is so much better than going home straight after golf. Razz

remember the last time? i was like "HUH? how come all go home one? no need to eat mehhhh??" silent

ok lunch time ... i m freakin' hungry!

later folks~
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wondered?    Have you ever wondered?  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 12:24 pm

Eh, sometimes no need wager, also got stroking one.
Easily upon request.
Just hv to specify where one wants to be stroked.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
drawbias
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
drawbias

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wondered?    Have you ever wondered?  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 1:01 pm

asahi wrote:
Eh, sometimes no need wager, also got stroking one.
Easily upon request.
Just hv to specify where one wants to be stroked.

What a Face

All strokes will or can be consumed even before the first hole ... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever wondered?    Have you ever wondered?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Have you ever wondered?
Page 1 of 1