Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Where to buy furniture?

Go down 
+10
Duval_S
Birdman
TheFocalPoint
pushslice
jurongtiger
nrafee
mizzy
duffader
S70B
DRGjr72
14 posters
AuthorMessage
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

Where to buy furniture? Empty
PostSubject: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Hi Guys and Gals,

Got a question for you.

Where are some places to go to find some good furniture here in Singapore?

We are looking for things that are a little more modern or contemporary. The pieces we are looking for at the moment are a platform bed frame for a US sized queeen mattress, an entertainment stand for our TV, and some chairs.

We looked at Ikea on Alexandra and that was ok. Just looking for some more suggestions before we make up our mind.

Thanks,

Dan
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Depends on ur budget Dan.

Can go to IMM in Jurong and browse around. If not, the Furniture Mall along Beach Road.

If saving money is your deal, there are quite a few warehouses ard that has real cheap furniture but since you do not have transportation, it might be a hassle.

Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 3:32 pm

Ikea will be good choice although some say the furniture does not really last.
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 3:41 pm

I think you can try sungei kadut... there are some major furniture manufaturers there..
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 3:46 pm

Mizzy

Must think of transport. I dun think Dan drives so have to think of easier to reach places.
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 3:51 pm

Our budget is flexible. I am one of those guys that will look for the best deal for the best quality furniture. I don't mind paying a little more for something that will last for a long time.

Ikea stuff is decent, but like stated...it can be suspect on the long term lastability of it.

I would say that our budget is Ikea or above...but not to crazy.

Hard to put a dollar figure on the budget as I don't know what we are willing to ultimately spend.

Could someone tell me more about the Furniture Mall?? It sounds interesting.

Also...We don't have a car. I would either take MRT or Cab to whatever the location is and have to arrange for delivery of the goods.

Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 3:52 pm

oh my bad.. i thought transport as in transporting own furniture... hahah.. usually free delivery for big items..

for ikea the knock down flat packages can be self collect.. hehe
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 3:53 pm

Dan,

Are you a Caucasian? if so, my advice is avoid places without price listed.

Singapore still have a tendency to slaughter "ang mos" Smile
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 3:59 pm

There is Scanteak (all wood furnitures) in Park Mall outside dhoby ghaut MRT. a few other furniture boutiques there too.. more high end stuff there but some reasonable items with good quality.

you can try Courts mega mall at bukit timah. furniture there too.
At tampines, the Courts and Ikea malls are side by side.
But for pure range, sungei kadut is my best bet.

Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 4:02 pm

Yes I believe Dan is an ANgmo.

Dan, the big items that you are looking for would be delivered to you by the furniture store. YOu dun have to bring them back yourself.

Sungei Kadut is a good option. Huge warehouses with lots of options!
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 4:03 pm

Furniture Mall is just opposite Suntec City across from Nicoll Highway. If you take the MRT, I think you can alight from Bugis(?) and head south towards Suntec.

http://www.thefurnituremall.com.sg/home.php

It is a relatively quiet place but the mall has quite a few different stores with decent classy wares on display.

Drive a hard bargain. nrafee is right, if you are a foreigner especially a Caucasian, there is a tendency to either mark up prices or not give as good a discount. Play hardball and you might walk out happy.

All will do delivery. Just have to clarify before hand if it is free or there is a cost involved.

Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 4:13 pm

Ok So here is my list that I have gathered so far:

1. IMM (Jurong)
2. Furniture Mall (Beach rd.)
3. Ikea (Alexandra and Tampines)
4. Scanteak (Park Mall)
5. Sungei Kadut

That seems like there would be some places in there where I could find something that would work. I aslo put in a request to a custom furniture builder to get a quote on a custom bedframe for reference.

Thanks so far for all the advice...it has been really helpful in narrowing my search.

And @ nrefee..I do fit into the category of an "ang mo" but will not get slaughtered any place I can assure you. If the price is too high or I feel I am getting the shaft, I walk and they lose my business. I always do my research prior to any purchase and am well informed of the range of prices, etc. I do appreciate you looking out though and informing me of that potential pitfall.
Beer
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 4:16 pm

Also I appreciate the advice on the prices...looks like I am going to have to go in there with my game face on.

Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 4:17 pm

I like Picket & Rail Warehouse at Sungai Kadut road. Their stuff last longer than Ikea.

Google it, they have a website and every now and then, post an advertisement at Straits Times

Go for previous years' models, cheaper, still as good.
Back to top Go down
TheFocalPoint
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
TheFocalPoint

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 4:22 pm

1. Lorenzo
2. Green Furniture (along Alexandra Rd)

Fantastic good value quality stuff.
I prefer Lorenzo though.

Om at Meida Ya also good! But nothing less than 3k. Smile
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 4:30 pm

Hey Dan,

If you're into the retro look you can try this list of shops.

http://www.vintagecollectorsingapore.com/singapore.php

A good bet for reproduction pieces with pretty down to earth prices (made in Thailand or Malaysia) is Lorgan's. They also have some great vintage stuff, and fabrics even.

http://www.lorgans.com/main.php?f=0

Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:21 pm

I like Scanteak ....I like Wood stuff. Think there is a sale at their Henderson Branch.
Back to top Go down
nebo_81
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
nebo_81

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:34 pm

Hmmmmm furniture shops at Sugei Kadut ?
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:58 pm

If you do not mind shopping at neighborhood shops, you can try this 2 places.

They are quite well-regarded on the Singapore renovation forums. Small shops with not much sample to view, but large catalogs for you to browse and choose from. They can even customize some of the standard designs as they ship in their own furniture. Almost all the designs you can find at those supposed warehouse shops in Sungei Kadut, you can find in this 2 places and at cheaper prices.

Personally I've bought stuff from S&C. Prices are among the cheapest amongst the various furniture shops, e.g. I got a 6 feet full wardrobe at slightly >$1k after much bargaining at my neighborhood furniture shop (which I've patronized on and off over the years) which was cheaper than the prices I got at Sungei Kadut, but when I saw the same wardrobe at S&C, the auntie quoted me $990 straightaway without any bargaining.

S & C Furniture Dynamic
338 Ang Mo Kio Ave 1 Street 32 #01-1647, 560338, Singapore
p: 65525208 f: 65560670

Hommage Furniture
Blk 263 Serangoon Central Drive #01-65 Singapore 550263
Tel : 6282 6264 Fax : 6282 8994

Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 11:18 pm

This is a great place too (for all budget):

International Furniture Centre
62 Sungei Kadut Loop
Singapore 729507
Tel (65) 6569 6988
Email: enquiry@ifcsingapore.com

Business Hours
Open daily, 11am to 8pm

Free Shuttle Service in front of Yew Tee MRT on Sat, Sun & P.H from 11am to 8pm. (30 mins interval)
Download Shuttle Bus Timing

Free Parking
Back to top Go down
kian
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
kian

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 11:22 pm

If u drive, can check out the industrial estate in sungei kadut.
The local major operators have their showrooms and warehouse sales at their factories everyday.
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 4:01 pm

These have been great tips and I really appreciate you all taking the time to help me and my family out.

Has really narrowed down the list of potential places and makes the list much more manageable.

Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 4:24 pm

hey Dan,

We don just stop there, we do end2end......... If you need real crowd for your house warming...you should know by now what to do.

hahahaha.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where to buy furniture?   Where to buy furniture? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where to buy furniture?
Page 1 of 1