Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea

Go down 
+7
botak
alangolf
mUAr_cHEe
daveaha
thehacker
Duval_S
DRGjr72
11 posters
AuthorMessage
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea Empty
PostSubject: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 4:32 pm

Hi Guys and Gals,

In an attempt to try and figure out a hobby/small business idea while I am here in Singapore for the next several years I was thinking about possibly creating some custom putter headcovers. I was going to get an embroidery machine with a USB so I can input design ideas (most likely a multi needle one with many spools for more color) and a sewing machine, some vinyl, leather, and needed materials, and then get after it.

The reason for the post is to gauge what you think the potential interest level is for something like this. I am not sure if this is as popular as it is in the states.

Since I have not started I am not trying to solicit business and would go through the proper channels (LLC) if this hobby idea turned out to be semi successful or the interest was good enough.

I envision the putter covers to be similar to the Scotty Cameron/Bettinardi style of covers with almost any logo or design being able to be used as long as it is not trademarked (unless I got permission) or there are any IP concerns.

I would look forward to your input.

Dan

Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Hey Bro, following are just my 2 cents

Personally I think its do-able as there are golf fanatics which will go for individualism. However fm a scale perspective, I don think it going to be mega scale.

For me, I am very pragmatic person, of which I will unlikely go for any form of individualism as I believe that its best done at the course....and fm this you can tell I am the 'beat up guy'.

One target audience which I will think off pertaining to this is actually the non-playing spouses of the golf community...my thought, since they are not playing or accompanying the guys on the course, having the cover will be a good ' you know I am here ' symbolism.

Std designs that one can choose fm is not desired. To have a proper ' tailor ' to do customization and not off-the shelf design will be good.

......just me 'D'
Back to top Go down
thehacker
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 7:28 pm

It's very doable at very limited startup cost. You can market over the Internet, and if your designs are good, I'm sure it will be a great success.
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 7:40 pm

@Duval & Hacker.....Thanks for your input. At this point I am just attempting to see if there is even a market here in Singapore. Initially it will be a hobby where I will make some covers for friends, collegues, and random inquires. If my work is accepted as legitimate then I will create an LLC and go through the channels to be an actual small business here in Singapore and attempt to grow through various marketing ideas or techniques.

I realize it is not going to be a mega scale company, but something that I can do in my spare time and possibly grow to make a few bucks.

I have several other ideas..but some of those require start up costs in the neighborhood of $200-400K and that kind of start up money is quite hard to come by, even though the business idea could be a solid money maker.

Since I am not from here I am relying on the expertise of the membership here at GR to give me excellent information as to which I can make a decision of where to move forward.

Bottom line is I have to do something while I am over here. With my Dependant pass it is either find a job, find a volunteer position or internship, or create a small business that could be marginally successful. One of those will pan out..but to be honest it would be cool if I could figure out a way to make some sweet custom headcovers on my own time.....

Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 8:00 pm

I think there IS a market for this. I may be wrong, but many of us wants to have a customized putter cover. I still remember that quite often, in a flight, I have the same putter headcover with the rest of my flightmates (all use the same cover)...

You can start locally first here. Can easily expand to Malaysia and Indonesia (Jakarta first) for the next step...
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
thehacker
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 8:15 pm

DRGjr72 wrote:
@Duval & Hacker.....Thanks for your input. At this point I am just attempting to see if there is even a market here in Singapore. Initially it will be a hobby where I will make some covers for friends, collegues, and random inquires. If my work is accepted as legitimate then I will create an LLC and go through the channels to be an actual small business here in Singapore and attempt to grow through various marketing ideas or techniques.

I realize it is not going to be a mega scale company, but something that I can do in my spare time and possibly grow to make a few bucks.

I have several other ideas..but some of those require start up costs in the neighborhood of $200-400K and that kind of start up money is quite hard to come by, even though the business idea could be a solid money maker.

Since I am not from here I am relying on the expertise of the membership here at GR to give me excellent information as to which I can make a decision of where to move forward.

Bottom line is I have to do something while I am over here. With my Dependant pass it is either find a job, find a volunteer position or internship, or create a small business that could be marginally successful. One of those will pan out..but to be honest it would be cool if I could figure out a way to make some sweet custom headcovers on my own time.....

Singapore is a weird market, there will be some demand, but never really know how will it be like. If you are very hard working, and set up a cart at driving ranges, maybe you migh sell quite a lot, and maybe even through this forum you will get reasonably good response.

What matters is design and pricing. You must get the right price point that people are willing to pay for, and designs which appeal to people to start off with. It can eventually turn out to be a relatively big venture if you secure some contracts to design and produce nice covers for brand name putter companies, and to companies as corporate gifts.

My take is, dream big.
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 6:25 am

@ Dave...Thanks for your reply. I was thinking the same thing as I love putter covers, especially some of the outrageous Scotty ones. If there is someway that I can create something that is similar but with my own twist, I think it would be pretty cool.

@hack...Thanks again for the reply. I always dream big, but I think this is one of those ideas where I need to start small, see the response and then go from there. If my work is good, the rest will take care of itself.

Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 6:49 am

daveaha wrote:
I still remember that quite often, in a flight, I have the same putter headcover with the rest of my flightmates (all use the same cover)...

Then pls go to a different golf shop. Thank u. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 6:53 am

Trying not to be a wet blanket here but I do not think there will be a sustainable market for this. Singapore population is only 5 million compared to what in the states? How big can the golfing market be?

People will just make a one time purchase and that's it? How many people will make a repeated purchase unless the covers keeps breaking but then again if it keeps breaking do u think people will continually buy from you?

Best shots is the corporate purchases only... Then again... Are there more companies than Singapore-based golfers?
Back to top Go down
alangolf
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 6:58 am

Go for it!
I believe the market is there and depends on your marketing/distribution strategy. Starting small is fine but the effort gotta be big.

Agree with Duval on marketing it as a 'gift' idea. Many golfers are addicts and their friends/colleagues/spouse/family will be willingly to buy it. They can be used as tournament prizes also. I recently got a customise ball marker as souvenir, so why not a putter cover Smile

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
botak
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
botak

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 9:29 am

Eventually, you'll need to tap the S.E.A. market namely Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia. As with all businesses in Asia, network is vital and knowing the right people definitely helps.

You'll need to figure out pricing structure too, because Singaporeans have higher purchasing power compared to their S.E.A. neighbours. This is one of the reasons why Singaporeans change equipment as frequent as changing underwear, compared to Thai, Malaysian or Indonesian golfers who then to hang on to their clubs a little longer.
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 8:25 am

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies. After doing some market research and also business start up cost, feasability of raw materials, equipment need to be succesful, it appears that this business venture will not be started. I appreciate all of your feedback and replies as it helped guide my decision.

A good, not great, embroidery machine costs in the neighborhood of 7 to 10K and that is just a little to much money to be spending on a hobby where I don't even know if I would be good at it.

Plus with the idea of a "potential" market, that is a tough sell to wife for outlaying 10g's for my hobby potential business.

I did look into outsourcing the embroidery and have received some pretty good feedback from local embroidery studios. So the option of possibly picking up some raw materials on my next trip to the states and then making some one offs to see if I am any good, is still a possibility.

I will post some pictures if I do get some covers made and see what you think.

Dan
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:05 am

Dan,

i don't think anyone in Sg has been involved in making more putter covers than moi.

in fact the last order will be making its debut this week at the HSBC. here's a preview....

Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea 5466912786_f18e32d87b_z.

if its for this region, we can forget it cos you can only sell that much and everyone wants a unique product.

still lets have a chat when you pick up those balls. if you have a ready market and a clear strategy for creative and distribution, i can put up the seeding funds.

DGman

Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:11 am

BOSS !!!! you the BEST !!!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:17 am

From my perspective, I would love to see customizable golf head covers. I know it's tricky and likely to be expensive but these days, people like to have things which stand out and are individual to a particular person. Everyone likes to be unique in what is an otherwise ubiquitous world.

This is something which I found online which I quite liked. I got Flaming Golf to make me a cover for my hybrid. It's funky and unique Smile Perhaps something along these lines may be worthwhile exploring. Pricing, on the other hand, is a separate issue.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:22 am

Technospaz wrote:
From my perspective, I would love to see customizable golf head covers. ... Pricing, on the other hand, is a separate issue.

How about buying?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:34 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
From my perspective, I would love to see customizable golf head covers. ... Pricing, on the other hand, is a separate issue.

How about buying?

Eh?
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:35 am

TS.. not specifically targeting you, but to reiterate my point from before. there is alot of interest in this idea of customizable club covers and many other customizable services... but when its time to reach into the pocket, the interest just disappears.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:38 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
TS.. not specifically targeting you, but to reiterate my point from before. there is alot of interest in this idea of customizable club covers and many other customizable services... but when its time to reach into the pocket, the interest just disappears.

I agree... that's why I mentioned that pricing is a separate issue. You are spot on in that people love to talk about this and that but when it comes to coughing up $$$, suddenly everyone shuts up. So, pricing is crucial. On the one hand, I would love to have a customizable item but if I have to pay excessively, I wouldn't bother.

Tops I'd go for a putter cover would be about $50 and that would need to be a sweet cover.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:48 am

lets not forget other customisable stuff.....

Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea 5117430702_49d1802394_z

milled marks that are different on every buckle...plus its milled on titanium then shaped with a 7 ton hydraulic press. Boys its coming!!!!

Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea 5116827877_f98bf18ffd_z

full leather headcovers individually personalised.

Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea 4294965650_bb27de3a86_z

Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea 4294965572_219d0a2532_z

iron ocvers...

Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea 4252416027_30fe9f1092_z

Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea 4146859572_b1ae739977_o

and i am sure we have lots of samples in the Den...including several series of headcovers thatt were never produced...

DGman

commercial break...Dr Joe Parent with DGman at you know where...

Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea 4820292595_5573e82a52_z

Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea 4787152079_7188a44536_z

Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:50 am

... and I've got one of the two unique putter covers from BFG Smile
Back to top Go down
Master
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Master

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:56 am

DGman wrote:
lets not forget other customisable stuff.....

DGman

commercial break...Dr Joe Parent with DGman at you know where...

master... u are truly a master...

this is the first time i have seen a commercial break within a commercial break... Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 10:06 am

Young Esq Bate...

from where i was trained, you learn to use Medium (Media) to capture audience, disseminate information, change perception and sway mindset. When an opportunity presents itself you seize it.

its nothing new, just think of it as a commercial in an info commercial segment.

btw....you are still in line to carry my bag in the 2nd week of March.

DGman

PS i hope you don't get ban again cos you are the only one who can read my mind (besides Duffy)
Back to top Go down
Master
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Master

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 10:28 am

DGman wrote:
Young Esq Bate...

from where i was trained, you learn to use Medium (Media) to capture audience, disseminate information, change perception and sway mindset. When an opportunity presents itself you seize it.

its nothing new, just think of it as a commercial in an info commercial segment.

btw....you are still in line to carry my bag in the 2nd week of March.

DGman

PS i hope you don't get ban again cos you are the only one who can read my mind (besides Duffy)

OK master if that is the case i will book my ticket 11/03/2011. should i arrange my own accomodation? because if i book on zuji.com its inclusive of accommodation.

please let me know MASTER.

and i will try my best to keep in line in this forum and not be "weird blue"...
this is not because i don't wanna get ban but because i am upholding your honourable title as my nick...

OK better get back to excel
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:58 pm

This is my froggy putter cover I got at FESC...I also saw some Scotty Cameron design covers there....also, some mallet covers for those interested

Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea P1040012
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea   Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Checking interest level for a golf venture/hobby idea
Page 1 of 1