Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Clarification on rule: Alfred Dunhill tourney

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Clarification on rule: Alfred Dunhill tourney Empty
PostSubject: Clarification on rule: Alfred Dunhill tourney   Clarification on rule: Alfred Dunhill tourney I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 10:58 pm

was watching Pablo martin playing in the Alfred Dunhill......I think its at 17th hole....his ball went bunker fm tee.

Heres the scenario:

He take 2nd shot....ball rocketed into the lip of the bunker....stuck there.

But here is the funny thing, he was given a free drop and proceeded to hit his 3 rd shot.

Question: Shouldnt that be his 4th shot with one penalty? Or is this again course rule?
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Clarification on rule: Alfred Dunhill tourney   Clarification on rule: Alfred Dunhill tourney I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 11:00 pm

Maybe local rule bah?
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Clarification on rule: Alfred Dunhill tourney   Clarification on rule: Alfred Dunhill tourney I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 11:33 pm

bunker in fairway? if not wrong lip is not considered hazard... so ball plugged gets free lift?
Back to top Go down
dodo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dodo

PostSubject: Re: Clarification on rule: Alfred Dunhill tourney   Clarification on rule: Alfred Dunhill tourney I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 10:01 am

Likely local rule; at Laguna, some parts of the slopes of bunkers are strengthened with wooden sleepers. In 2005 Caltex Singapore Masters, Nick Dougherty was almost caught by Monty when he got a free drop outside of the bunker in which his drive landed. He drove into the far edge of a fairway bunker, and ever so slightly touching a wooden sleeper at the edge of the bunker. Had he not been given the drop, he would have had to hack the ball against the bunker wall and hope it land in a better place. Needless to say, the drop saved him and he won. Read this:

http://www.rightclub.co.uk/locker_room/reports_details.asp?id=501&PageNo=1
Back to top Go down
bogey_free
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bogey_free

PostSubject: Re: Clarification on rule: Alfred Dunhill tourney   Clarification on rule: Alfred Dunhill tourney I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 12:03 pm

martin's ball was embedded in the soil above the bunker so he was entitled to a free drop as close to the original position as possible.
after dropping 3 times and rolling into the bunker, he was allowed to place his ball.
if his ball was embedded in the bunker, he would have to play as it lies or take a penalty drop.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clarification on rule: Alfred Dunhill tourney   Clarification on rule: Alfred Dunhill tourney I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clarification on rule: Alfred Dunhill tourney
Page 1 of 1