Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Course management for a Seasoned Beginner

Go down 
+15
sandkie
watermyforrest
4dtoto
alvin7379
asahi
slinger
smallhorse
TheFocalPoint
pushslice
S70B
klt8144
weesern
TigaWood
mUAr_cHEe
Duval_S
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Course management for a Seasoned Beginner Empty
PostSubject: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 8:20 am

Being a Seasoned beginner, one of my many challenges is playing on a non-familiar golf course....like many others. One of the areas which I constantly failed miserably is distance gauging.

So here is the scenario:
First tee....par 5...water canal in the middle of fairway. After teeing off...How is best to gauge the distance fm my 2nd shot to the water canal ? I know we have the 150, 200, 100 markers...but lets say I don carry a bushie finder etc.....how do I make the best gauge of the distance without asking my flt mate?

I had read fm my coaching staff (eg. Golf digest magazine, Golf Magazine, Golf online etc ) that we should work backwards fm the green......but I am still abit lost in tat.

I think if I can solve this, I will be a better Seasoned Beginner.

Appreciate any advice.

yours sincerely....Just me' D' (SB....still)
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 8:41 am

rangefinder.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 8:48 am

Quote :
mUAr_cHEe wrote:
rangefinder.

Dearest #5, but what if no rangefinder? is there any other tradisional / legacy alternatives?
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 8:48 am

My course management is very simple.
Treat par 3 as par 4, par 4 as par 5, and 5 as 6.

The trouble is golfer like to treat par5 as 4, 4 as 3 and 3 as 2!
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 8:50 am

Quote :
seebayho wrote:

my comfy carry distance is around 150-160.........so in such situation, I will want to see if this is worth carrying over.
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 8:51 am

Tolerance for ranger finder is 1m, mine is 100m.......how?
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 9:02 am

[quote="Duval_S"]
Quote :
seebayho wrote:

my comfy carry distance is around 150-160.........so in such situation, I will want to see if this is worth carrying over. [/

Simple, if the bet is a $ will you charge as compared to $1000?

In short, Bet big.....your course management and focus will automatically improve. I'm serious
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 9:21 am

[quote]
seebayho wrote:
Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
seebayho wrote:

my comfy carry distance is around 150-160.........so in such situation, I will want to see if this is worth carrying over. [/

Simple, if the bet is a $ will you charge as compared to $1000?

In short, Bet big.....your course management and focus will automatically improve. I'm serious

Mr.Boss, what is big to me is like eating old chang kee fish cake to others le.

but seriously, other than investing in range and playing 'big-small' , is there any tip to manage this? I really want to be a better seasoned beginner
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 9:26 am

ask for mulligan... tee off one shot to check distance... if go straight to water, you are the water hazard is too near for you
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 9:30 am

Duval_S wrote:
mUAr_cHEe wrote:
rangefinder.
Dearest #5, but what if no rangefinder? is there any other tradisional / legacy alternatives?

Thumb and then a lot of luck after that.
Back to top Go down
klt8144
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
klt8144

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 9:47 am

my thoughts are for new course, check the actual distance from the score card, est your drive, your iron and match. i believe it will bring you closer to the green aS EXPECTED..OF COS... luck comes in too....haha...
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 9:51 am

Hole length - Avg drive = ~ Distance left.

Distance left - 200/150m marker = ~ carry required.

You need to be able to at least eyeball distances <120m in, an artform slowly being lost.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 10:37 am

S70B, dun quite understand your calculation...
Assuming a par 5 of 500m, avg drive 200

distance left will be 300m... minus 150m marker = 150m...

this 150m will carry required? carry for wat?
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 10:57 am

my take on S70b's formula would be that you need to gauge how far (or near) the hazard is from the closest marker. e.g. Using your base assumptions, if creek is approximately 20m after the 150m marker nearer to the hole then to carry is 150m+25m

or, another take would be to play conservative and disregard the creek altogether. Just aim to the markers, and know that you have a 150m shot or 100m shot to reach the green.

yeah in fact I like the second option, coz reaching a par 5 usually mean a driver+hybrid+mid/short iron. But it could also be driver+mid/short iron+hybrid, esp when hazard is in play. My short iron play is not better than my hybrid play kekekeke

Last edited by pushslice on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheFocalPoint
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
TheFocalPoint

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 10:58 am

Is u talking about Kranji 10th hole? ehehhee
Back to top Go down
smallhorse
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 11:00 am

Duval_S wrote:
Being a Seasoned beginner, one of my many challenges is playing on a non-familiar golf course....like many others. One of the areas which I constantly failed miserably is distance gauging.

So here is the scenario:
First tee....par 5...water canal in the middle of fairway. After teeing off...How is best to gauge the distance fm my 2nd shot to the water canal ? I know we have the 150, 200, 100 markers...but lets say I don carry a bushie finder etc.....how do I make the best gauge of the distance without asking my flt mate?

I had read fm my coaching staff (eg. Golf digest magazine, Golf Magazine, Golf online etc ) that we should work backwards fm the green......but I am still abit lost in tat.

I think if I can solve this, I will be a better Seasoned Beginner.

Appreciate any advice.

yours sincerely....Just me' D' (SB....still)

Actually I am a seasoned beginner too.
I used to struggle with these issues, until I solve this problem by (1) Looking at the distance marker, (2) If I can see the water or not (visual), if can see, means i need to be careful on my club selection. The problem here is not a good clean shot, BUT I cannot control the way the ball will run after it lands or/if my club/hybrid selection is wrong. Hence, looking at the terrain will help. (3) fairway wood to cheong there. (you mention that the water is in the middle). (4) If it gets into the water. Laugh and drop another ball. And blame the lousy golf ball.

Forgot to add. Its not the water that bothers me now (well, sometimes). I was taught to play to my strongest short-game iron. That means I will try to aim towards 100m marker or thereabout. So, my parting contribution, aim for the marker of choice. Because that is the objective to getting on the green.

I used to contribution balls to golf courses and buy them back. lol But now, I pick up golf balls. My trusty ball retriever is my main club in my bag. ^^

Last edited by smallhorse on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 11:07 am

d, in all nsrcc course, there are distance markers on the fairway (not the 100m, 150m 200m marker sticks), just look for them, they are dotted along the fairways.... find one that is closest to the ball n find the standard markers (in your case is the 200m marker), then u calculate the distance u need to carry the water at hole 10.....

alternatively, u can chomp me as your caddy.... just like ghoonk did
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 11:16 am

if the water hazard is within 200m to the hole, it will be easier to gauge.(if there are 200m distance marker).
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 11:38 am

slinger wrote:
d, in all nsrcc course, there are distance markers on the fairway (not the 100m, 150m 200m marker sticks), just look for them, they are dotted along the fairways.... find one that is closest to the ball n find the standard markers (in your case is the 200m marker), then u calculate the distance u need to carry the water at hole 10.....

Can I chop you as my caddie for our 14 Dec game?
Pay in kind e.g buns
lol!
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 11:47 am

Asahi, is the charity game on 14th?
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 11:50 am

asahi wrote:
slinger wrote:

Can I chop you as my caddie for our 14 Dec game?
Pay in kind e.g buns
lol!

we playing kranji meh...

tot its keppel....

or mbgc....

aiya, u choose venue lah...
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 11:58 am

Kranji better lah. Dun like Keppel lah.

@panji, GR game on 17th
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 12:58 pm

Quote :
slinger wrote:

sorry Shi Fu, but yours humbly don understand. can draw peekture?

I believe if I can solve this perpetual problem of mine, I can drop handful of strokes...and Make you PROUD of me.

PS: was watching IpMan last week....I think of you as IPman...and I am Bruce.....
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 1:04 pm

http://www.bulls-eye-golf-markers.com/?gclid=CIu__re8laUCFYYa6wodZ0ijMw

look for them...... there is yardage on them
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 1:08 pm

if u are that serious about your game, buy a range finder.....

most of us have them....

to look at the chio bu on the course....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Course management for a Seasoned Beginner   Course management for a Seasoned Beginner I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Course management for a Seasoned Beginner
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next