Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?

Go down 
+15
zhenxua
golfjoy
thehacker
canonphilips
sandkie
weesern
asahi
dmateo
alvin7379
Frederick
S70B
Birdman
nientsu
and68low
DTKS
19 posters
AuthorMessage
DTKS
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
DTKS

Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? Empty
PostSubject: Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?   Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 9:44 am

Hi,

actually i just started to play golf. i have been practicing my irons for sometime and i have see some results, although my distance is not good enough but at least lesser top ball. haha...

So i started practicing my wood and driver and i found great difficulties to hit the ball. I keep hitting top balls or my ball just couldn't fly...

Please advise me...

Thanks...
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?   Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 10:56 am

Honestly, go see a golf professional aka those nicks in RED. if not you are going to get bits and pieces of advise and you gonna find it more confusing !
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?   Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 11:34 am

I used to think like tat until I went to see a coach. Then he asked me this,'is mastering one swing easy?' I answered,'no' then he replied,'then what makes u think u can master many swings' then I got the answer
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?   Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 11:57 am

And68low is right. When starting out in the game, there are too many fundamental mistakes and the best person to help you build a solid foundation is a golf pro.

Piecemeal advice to correct one mistake does not a solid golf swing make. At best, it is just a temporary band aid. There are also many ways to correct a problem, which may work for one but not necessarily another, further confusing you.

Without a basic understanding of the golf swing, it will be hard for you to apply any tips posted here with effect. Many times too, one adjustment made has an effect on other parts of the swing, compounding other mistakes. There are just so many moving parts to a golf swing.

So see a pro, build a solid foundation, and enjoy the game! Smile
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?   Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 12:10 pm

It's logical that the longer and less lofted the club is, the more difficult it is to hit decent shots.

To answer ur qn, the swing should be the same. What changes will be ur ball position, set-up and angle of attack.

How u go abt achieving that? That's the teaching pro's job to help correct or teach u.
Back to top Go down
Frederick
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Frederick

PostSubject: Re: Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?   Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 1:33 pm

Hi bro... do see a coach because only when a coach explains and show you the swing will u then understand... but to answer your question. 14 clubs... one swing.
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?   Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 1:36 pm

I was taught one swing for all clubs... but somehow I felt that my FW and driver kinda different from my irons leh... scratch

problem..... Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?   Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 2:28 pm

different posture and ball position hence timing for release for me. Whether that two difference make the swing different, it's up for interpretation I guess.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?   Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 3:20 pm

Ditto for me. 2 swing types.
For me, driver, hybrid and woods, slightly flater swing plane ad compared to irons.
This is even though coach says one swing for all.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?   Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 4:17 pm

they are all the same swing, swing plane is flater because of the length of the shaft...

use to balls and try this... one on the position of you wood and the other for you wedge... the ball position for your wedge will be closer to you. Now address the other ball using your wood. take a swing while keeping your eyes on the ball (for wedge)... your swing will feel the same.

not sure if u understand wat i saying... hahha

Last edited by weesern on Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?   Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 7:49 pm

So des neh.......same swing but swing planes look and feel different.

Will try our your described 'drill' to explore.

Thanks for the tip.
Back to top Go down
DTKS
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
DTKS

PostSubject: Re: Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?   Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2010 3:49 pm

Hey guys!

Thanks for the advise!!! Think i should look for a coach...

Cos i am still a noob and then alot of stuff i dunno...

I got a long way to go!!!

cheers!!!
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?   Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2010 4:33 pm

Among my 14 club, I have two swings: putter and the rest...

I cannot swing my putter like the rest... grip, setup look very different with others...
Back to top Go down
canonphilips
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?   Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 7:26 am

the golf swing should be same throughout maybe the only thing that changes is the stance and ball position for some.
Back to top Go down
thehacker
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?   Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 7:53 am

Anyway, if you do not already have all the basics - so called fundamentals, do see a coach.

For me there is a driver swing, wood & iron swing, and putter swing. The subtle difference is in the feel and what I'm trying to achieve.

For driver, I try to achieve a very "together" and synchronized swing where body and arm move together.

For all other swing, I try to use my right side more to avoid injuring my left elbow any further. I'll also make sure I get to my left side on the downswing to insure good ball contact.

For putter, I try to use my right hand and fingers to feel the shot.

My point is the fundamentals are the same, but the emphasis and the feel may differ. You can't use short iron swing for the driver, and a 3 wood swing is different from a 6 iron swing. But the grip, stance, alignment, posture, doesn't change.
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?   Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:15 am

I know for sure it is different for irons and putter.
But between driver and other fairway woods?
Between driver and iron?
confused
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?   Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 9:58 am

sad to say, but I can have different swings for the same club ...
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?   Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 12:43 pm

Maybe i'm the odd one out. I've got a specific swing for the driver, and one more for all the other clubs (excluding chipping, pitching, putting, etc). Swing thoughts for each are different too.

When i'm using the driver, i think BASEBALL and "swing through".

When using other clubs, i think PING PONG and "cut the ball".

Don't ask me about mechanics, coz i realized the more i think about it, the worse my swing becomes.

May not be the best approach, but it works for me so far. Or maybe that's why i can never improve...
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?   Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 12:49 pm

I found a swing for wedges

Still finding a swing for irons

Almost found a swing for putting

Lost and found status of swing for my driving

no swing totally for fairway wood
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?   Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 2:01 pm

my driver and woods swing are about the same (more around me, flatter plane)
my iron swing are steep, very up and down (like the letter V). I've been trying to make it more around me (like a U), a tip from chairman low.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?   Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 2:11 pm

pushslice wrote:
my driver and woods swing are about the same (more around me, flatter plane)
my iron swing are steep, very up and down (like the letter V). I've been trying to make it more around me (like a U), a tip from chairman low.

for all these year, i thot that is normal leh....because of the length and setup position...damn, i'm wrong again !!......haha !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?   Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is the swing different when using iron, wood and driver?
Page 1 of 1