Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?

Go down 
+11
wolverine
neutralgolfer
musashi75
nientsu
enwee
scottycollector
bigbanana14
Derek
raylowwl
costajos
lionwoods
15 posters
AuthorMessage
lionwoods
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? Empty
PostSubject: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 9:43 am

I am still struggling with the driver swing. Asked my cough, the answer was to practice more. I can not comment too much for my coach. Crying or Very sad however I could get some useful tips from all the Bros in the GR forum.
I think one of my biggest problem is the plane angle. some one says that the Drive swing is more like a " Sweep" rather than divot swing using irons.
my questions are:
1. Will the swing plane angle be different between the iron and driver swing?
2. same back swing for driver and irons?
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 10:11 am

The swing plane angle will differ from your irons because of the length of the club. Also ball position will also be different because you'll be trying to hit the ball on the upswing.
Back to top Go down
raylowwl
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 10:29 am

Me too.... Iron ok.....woods ok.....driver bad.... In fact my 5 woods drive around 170m my driver only 160....
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 10:32 am

lionwoods wrote:
I am still struggling with the driver swing. Asked my cough, the answer was to practice more. I can not comment too much for my coach. Crying or Very sad however I could get some useful tips from all the Bros in the GR forum.
I think one of my biggest problem is the plane angle. some one says that the Drive swing is more like a " Sweep" rather than divot swing using irons.
my questions are:
1. Will the swing plane angle be different between the iron and driver swing?
2. same back swing for driver and irons?

At the most basic level, the longer the club, the flatter the swing plane

Did your coach give u any drills to practice?
Back to top Go down
bigbanana14
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 10:55 am

I think the best thing you can do is to engage a new coach. Wouldn't stick to one that cannot explain such concepts and simply tells you to practice more.
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 11:04 am

depends on what you mean by 'swing plane'.

if u simply look at the shaft of your club, then the driver will have a flatter (ie more horizontal) swingplane as compared to your irons. but this is in fact a result of the 'length' of the club in question, rather than your swing. the longer the shaft, the further u stand from the ball, the flatter the swingplane.

If you talk about swing plane in the Jim Hardy sense (watch it on youtube) then the swing plane will be the same for all your clubs.

in essence, your swing should be the same for all ur clubs. the reason why it looks different is simply because of the different length of each club. the most obvious example is if u compare ur driver with ur wedge. however u should not be making any conscious effort to change your swing for different clubs.

in order to sweep up on the ball for a driver swing, you are not changing ur swing, but merely the ball position. by teeing up the ball and putting it forward in ur stance, you will naturally catch the ball on the upswing with your driver, whilst executing the same swing.
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 11:14 am

actually what may help is to use drivers with shorter shafts. during like my first few times to the range i found hitting with my friend's driver (lady) was much easier than using mine.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 11:24 am

costajos wrote:
actually what may help is to use drivers with shorter shafts. during like my first few times to the range i found hitting with my friend's driver (lady) was much easier than using mine.
Actually lady's driver not only shorter, also the grip is smaller, flex is more flexible and the loft higher.
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 11:26 am

enwee wrote:
costajos wrote:
Actually lady's driver not only shorter, also the grip is smaller, flex is more flexible and the loft higher.

lol fits my dainty hands Swing
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 11:49 am

bigbanana14 wrote:
I think the best thing you can do is to engage a new coach. Wouldn't stick to one that cannot explain such concepts and simply tells you to practice more.

Completely agree!
Back to top Go down
lionwoods
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 11:18 am

nientsu wrote:
bigbanana14 wrote:

Completely agree!
Any good coach to recommend?
Back to top Go down
musashi75
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 1:17 pm

For the driver swing, I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem where my body some times moves too quickly for my hands to catch up. As a result, I find that I have to consciously slow it down in order for the arms and everything to be in sync.
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 1:40 pm

musashi75 wrote:
For the driver swing, I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem where my body some times moves too quickly for my hands to catch up. As a result, I find that I have to consciously slow it down in order for the arms and everything to be in sync.

I think you had shifted your hip instead of rotating. Try turning your hip instead of shifting to the left, it will allow your hands to move in time for the impact.
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
wolverine

PostSubject: Re: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 1:44 pm

musashi75 wrote:

Try this :

http://www.martinhallgolf.com/swing-tips.html

Cheers
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 1:47 pm

As far as swing plane goes, the swing plane for a driver would definitely be very much flatter than a 7 iron.
major contributors to a ball flight:
1.Face angle
2.Plane
3.Path
4.Angle of attack
5.swing speed
6.ball speed
7.quality of strike
Video can only prove points 1,2
Therefore I use the launch monitor for my private lessons to help my student understand the different readings it churns out with a change in swing and most importantly [b]why
I'd advice that you see a certified club flitter or golf range with a launch monitor if your coach does not have such equipment. We have Flightscope at Laguna or you could head over to Big Fish Golf at bukit merah. DGman is the person to see for all your expert club fitting needs.
Back to top Go down
musashi75
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 1:53 pm

I'll give that a try the next time at the range. Thanks for the tip!
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 2:05 pm

jhan18 wrote:
As far as swing plane goes, the swing plane for a driver would definitely be very much flatter than a 7 iron.
1.Face angle
2.Plane
3.Path
4.Angle of attack
5.swing speed
6.ball speed
7.quality of strike
Therefore I use the launch monitor for my private lessons to help my student understand the different readings it churns out with a change in swing and most importantly [b]why
I'd advice that you see a certified club flitter or golf range with a launch monitor if your coach does not have such equipment. We have Flightscope at Laguna or you could head over to Big Fish Golf at bukit merah. DGman is the person to see for all your expert club fitting needs.

is it also true that for different drivers the setup will be slightly different? e.g. your left foot could be in front of a ball for one driver and in line with the ball for another?
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 5:56 am

costajos wrote:
jhan18 wrote:
1.Face angle
2.Plane
3.Path
4.Angle of attack
5.swing speed
6.ball speed
7.quality of strike

is it also true that for different drivers the setup will be slightly different? e.g. your left foot could be in front of a ball for one driver and in line with the ball for another?

Nope that should not be the case
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 7:34 am

Agree with Justin, with Driver ball to far forward or to far back in stance you will have problems.

The way the Driver works is the club has come down, finished its arc and is then starting back up. Because the ball is on a tee off the ground the clubhead hits the ball on the upswing.... naturally...

A lot of higher handicappers try to hang back on right foot and hit up on the ball, no need the arc of the club means you are hitting up anyway....(unless you have tee to far back in stance then you are hitting down and will hit popups). Beer
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 9:55 am

shorthitter wrote:
Agree with Justin, with Driver ball to far forward or to far back in stance you will have problems.

The way the Driver works is the club has come down, finished its arc and is then starting back up. Because the ball is on a tee off the ground the clubhead hits the ball on the upswing.... naturally...

A lot of higher handicappers try to hang back on right foot and hit up on the ball, no need the arc of the club means you are hitting up anyway....(unless you have tee to far back in stance then you are hitting down and will hit popups). Beer

Thanks Beer
Back to top Go down
damylim
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 9:28 am

I seem to be having the same problem too, will try these tips out at the range... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 9:30 am

Bro damylim,

Do not mind me asking, you have something to sell ? Hehehehehe lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?   Same plane angle for driver and iron swing? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Same plane angle for driver and iron swing?
Page 1 of 1