Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The thing about putters...

Go down 
+11
jimmychoo
asahi
Ssquirrel
Cornball
dystopia
sandkie
eiji
Technospaz
Duval_S
nientsu
samT
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

The thing about putters... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The thing about putters...   The thing about putters... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 1:05 am

samT wrote:
Hi Taskie,

I never count but I usually try to stay within 2 putts per hole, possibly on average I would incur 3 to 4 holes where I 3-putted per round.

Recently, my 2nd putts have been better when I try not to look up. Also, I take a much shorter back swing. These techniques have helped to bring more confidence in executing the 2nd putt and lower the 3-putts. Just 2 pointers a fella asked me to do which proved very useful. I am now trying to have a slightly open stance when I stand over the ball. Seems to help stroke through easier because I tend to let my right hand comes in. But this is still work in progress.

Any advice on the above or tips, technique-wise? Tks.

I am a lousy putter.. usually putt above 40 per round. Only on my last round I manage to break 40 and feel that I am improving. I used to be so confused about what is the right putting strokes, what kind of putter I should use because there are so many variations. So, I keep experimenting and changing but never improving.... Finally, I decided to take a lesson since I am also struggling with my swing and everything else...

On the putting lesson, I was super looking forward to it. I was expecting a renovation on my putting strokes and was even ready for a putter change if my coach mentioned it. But after looking at my stroke, to my surprise, he said my stroke is good.... To be honest, I felt disappointed. But that sentence is what make my putting improves. I believe because I stop experimenting and start practicing...

On putters, I believe there will be a putter that is better than what I currently have. But that should be latter stage... Btw, my coach is also a ZEN user, so maybe it will be my next stop if I ever look for one...

Sorry I don't think it's a tip but just want to share my experience...

Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The thing about putters...   The thing about putters... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 1:49 am

For me putting is a challenge. I am one of those who is always going for 3-4 puts so it's kindda destroyed the game.
It does not help as well that other than putting mat, you can't really practice putting on a real situation. Speed, slot, grass cutting etc is just additing to the complexity.

Personally, putting is the most difficult part and sadly it's the part that I've been neglecting the most as well.. Sad
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: The thing about putters...   The thing about putters... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:28 am

Cornball wrote:
I was at the Den the other day when I tested the Zen. It really felt good and it was super tempted fen though my gf bought me my Scotty so it'd be hard for me to change it. Haha.

Then I saw another customer who probably also tested it and liked it and he said to me "feels good right? But does it mean we'll putt better or read the greens better?" haha. That stuck with me.

Fair enough but then how does he buy his putter? It's not like he could borrow the putter from the shop for 18 holes and see if he putt better with it. (well DGman may lend one if you are a regular).

Most putter purchases are influenced by looks, feels, price and a huge leap of faith. At best we roll balls off mat. We're lucky if we can borrow a khaki's putter for a round with the same length/lie angle setup.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: The thing about putters...   The thing about putters... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 10:41 am

when I was getting my second putter, i did not really putt well with it when I tried it on the mat, my putt keep going left.. but i like the design and it does feels good... i bought it and my putting improves...

to be honest, it is not the putter that help me improve or my techniques improves... I feel it is because I am comfortable with the putter and free my mind from unnecessary distractions...

If you dun believe you can make the putt, chances are you will miss it.

One thing that really help me is to practise putting with eyes close... it makes me trust my stroke more.

It may be due to the stroke I take.... i can feel the difference during the backswing for a toe of face balanced putter..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The thing about putters...   The thing about putters... - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The thing about putters...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2